Which UltraWide / Immersive Monitor Upgrade

theoflow

Hey all,

Looking for some monitor upgrade device. I am a big fan of ultrawides since I play games casually and like the immersive experience. With that said, I would like a new monitor that is bigger with a better refresh rate and have a list that is open to any additions

I am in a pretty decent position, 2020 wise, working from home and can afford all the top tier gear, but my folks always taught me to not overbuy. I would appreciate everyone's opinions/experiences for some guidance since I don't know it all and first hand experience is always a great thing

What I have now:

Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved Ultrawide Monitor - U3415W (60Hz)

What I am looking at:

Samsung Odyssey G9 (~$1,300)

-That curve is sexy to me

- Yes I am aware of the silent recall, but the local microcenter got the new ones in and can always return if there are problems

LG OLED48CXPUB (~$1,500)

- Could be better for productivity and more immersive?

- This is going to be an ergonomic challenge with my standing desk 

AOC AG493UCX 49" (~$1,000)

- Cheaper alternative to the G9 without the 1000R curve

Legion Y44w-10 43.4 Inch WLED Curved Panel HDR Gaming Monitor (~$700)

- Plenty big enough, about half the price of the other two, but without GSync

Misc. Info

• I live in NYC USA
  • Minimum 1440p 
  • I would like a display with a minimum 120 Hz without having to "overclock" the display
  • I mostly play FPS and simulator games
  • I do not want to spend more than $1,500 (before taxes)
  • Don't worry about my system specs, I will be upgrading to new hardware over the holiday season when the benchmarks come out for Zen3 and Big Navi
  • I am also going to use the new monitor for my laptop as I work from home, mostly Microsoft Office stuff 
  • I do some photo editing as a hobby
  • I don't really care much for HDR because I personally haven't seen a need for it

Key Questions:

Does GSync really make that much of a difference over FreeSync?

Random thoughts:

With all this new hardware coming out, I think we should have the discussion that the end user's monitor is actually the most important factor for hardware purchase decisions. We buy a monitor based on what we use it for, so thinking of monitor first and then buying the hardware to max it out is the best train of thought. Heck, if we were thinking to upgrade a system, but not upgrading from an old monitor what is the use of all the new hardware if we are capped at 60 FPS by the monitor.

Anyway, looking forward to everyone's feedback.