Spectrum throttling

FrogPD

I’m on my way to getting better home internet. There’s no fiber at my location. I have spectrum internet now and it now come with a modem and separated router. The speeds are good, the coverage is good but it throttles me bad when I’m on Plex. The router doesn’t let me connect a VPN to it to hopefully not get throttled anymore (I hope I am right). It’s not a huge place to the coverage distance isn’t a problem. I have my Apple TV connected to the router and it still is slow on Plex. 

My question: what is what’s the best router I can get my hands on. That would also let me connect my VPN to it. I currently have private internet access, if that matters. I’ll be adding security cameras to the house soon also. 

7 hours ago, FrogPD said:

when I’m on Plex.

Are you talking about a local Plex server or a remote Plex server? Because Local ones have nothing to do with your internet connection, unless your using their free content. But most people use Plex with their own content. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

The remote one. Everything now works super fast Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. but Plex. 

2 hours ago, FrogPD said:

The remote one. Everything now works super fast Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. but Plex. 

You do know that most ISP's in the US have shit upload speeds right? The upload speed is what matters, as thats the speed in which that remote Plex server can serve data over the internet to you. So who ever is sharing their Plex server to you has very little in the way of upload speed. My Comcast connection only has 10 Mbps UP. Thats barely enough for 1 remote 1080p stream. Which is why I dont share my Plex server over the internet. The only Plex content that will act like Amazon, Netflix, etc is the free movies and TV shows they include with commercials. Outside of that anything videos that are hosted on the server itself will only stream as fast as the upload of that internet connection allows. So NO Spectrum has nothing to do with this, unless the server is hosted on a Spectrum connection and if thats the case they are not throttling they are just having poor upload speed and there is nothing you can do about it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.