My ssd is not recognized correctly

v.sarris76
Go to solution Solved by aDoomGuy,
30 minutes ago, v.sarris76 said:

It recognized it originally as a 1 tb, and now it is recognizing 500 gb

The cloning software probably cloned the partition itself thus it's being 500GB. Ok, so open Windows Explorer (file explorer if you will) and right click my computer. Next select manage. Enter disk management (local) locate your drive (1tb SSD) and check if you have 500 gig of unallocated space. Now if you do, you can try to expand the volume onto the unallocated space but I'm not sure if it will work since it is a boot drive (I think it will though). If it don't work and no third party utility can help you either you have two options the way I see it.

1. Run the drive with 2 500 gig volumes.
  2. Backup everything you want to keep and install Windows from scratch (remove the partition and format a new one in the progress).

IF however disk management shows the drive as 500 gig and it IS a 1tb drive, then the drive have a problem and probably need to be replaced. 

I have an msi raider gaming laptop, and it originally came with a 512 gig western digital ssd, but I upgraded to the crucial p5 1tb, it was originally working fine, but now, when I go into this pc, it is recognized as the 512 gig western digital ssd. It only lets me fill 500 gigs, instead of the tb on my other drive. Is there any way to fix this?

Did you clone the original drive to the new one?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

30 minutes ago, v.sarris76 said:

The cloning software probably cloned the partition itself thus it's being 500GB. Ok, so open Windows Explorer (file explorer if you will) and right click my computer. Next select manage. Enter disk management (local) locate your drive (1tb SSD) and check if you have 500 gig of unallocated space. Now if you do, you can try to expand the volume onto the unallocated space but I'm not sure if it will work since it is a boot drive (I think it will though). If it don't work and no third party utility can help you either you have two options the way I see it.

1. Run the drive with 2 500 gig volumes.
  2. Backup everything you want to keep and install Windows from scratch (remove the partition and format a new one in the progress).

IF however disk management shows the drive as 500 gig and it IS a 1tb drive, then the drive have a problem and probably need to be replaced.