Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi so I decided to hard reset my PC today to get rid of excess files and it won’t give me a progress bar or loading circle and was curious if I should try turning off my PC as I know it may not be recommended but it’s been like this for almost an hour now and I’m starting to feel like I should.

621D3095-0A8C-4FBF-A26D-5B7762A0F448.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alex Strebler said:

it’s been like this for almost an hour now

is windows on an SSD or hard dive?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

is windows on an SSD or hard dive?

NVMe SSD

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alex Strebler said:

NVMe SSD

windows should have certainly reset in less than an hour so it is time to try a hard reset. 

 

If you need to force another windows erase procedure, simply interrupt the windows bootup 3 times in a row and it'll give you the emergency menu, from there you can reset windows again.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never recommended Resetting your PC. It honestly takes much longer than just doing a format and reinstalling. And you're pretty much going to be left at the same state with Resetting anyways so don't see the value proposition for it other than the even more simpler UI.  

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

windows should have certainly reset in less than an hour so it is time to try a hard reset. 

 

If you need to force another windows erase procedure, simply interrupt the windows bootup 3 times in a row and it'll give you the emergency menu, from there you can reset windows again.

Oh I didn’t realize that I forgot to say it was a hard reset.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alex Strebler said:

Oh I didn’t realize that I forgot to say it was a hard reset.

hard reset as in you hold the power button to turn the PC off?

 

it does get a bit confusing, the term "reset" is to turn the PC off and on again and also to revert windows to default.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

windows should have certainly reset in less than an hour so it is time to try a hard reset. 

 

If you need to force another windows erase procedure, simply interrupt the windows bootup 3 times in a row and it'll give you the emergency menu, from there you can reset windows again.

I agree with all of this.

Also, when you start the installation again, remove any other peripherals that might be plugged in for the time.  Especially storage devices and printers.

Plug them in and install them after the OS is working.

Small chance something interrupted the OS install and could do so again.

 

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K  @ 4.2MHz  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: EVGA NEX750B   Storage: (1)950 PRO 512GB (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 headset   UPS: APC XS 1300

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300


As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

hard reset as in you hold the power button to turn the PC off?

 

it does get a bit confusing, the term "reset" is to turn the PC off and on again and also to revert windows to default.

Reset as in to remove all files off the PC

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alex Strebler said:

Reset as in to remove all files off the PC

yep I think it's time to shut down the PC and restart it to try again

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

I agree with all of this.

Also, when you start the installation again, remove any other peripherals that might be plugged in for the time.  Especially storage devices and printers.

Plug them in and install them after the OS is working.

Small chance something interrupted the OS install and could do so again.

 

Alright well I saw someone else mention that I could just reformat the drives so I turned it off and back on and just did that instead as it was 2 specific drives that I wanted cleaned so they’re wiped now

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I've never recommended Resetting your PC. It honestly takes much longer than just doing a format and reinstalling. And you're pretty much going to be left at the same state with Resetting anyways so don't see the value proposition for it other than the even more simpler UI.  

Alright I never heard of doing that before so I just tried and now I formatted both drives I wanted cleaned so thanks for making me realize I could do that I always thought that you had to reset to completely wipe the drives

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

yep I think it's time to shut down the PC and restart it to try again

I just saw someone else’s reply about reformatting the drives and tried that so my drives are wiped now but thanks for helping!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alex Strebler said:

Alright I never heard of doing that before so I just tried and now I formatted both drives I wanted cleaned so thanks for making me realize I could do that I always thought that you had to reset to completely wipe the drives

Though i just thought is it safe to do on the C drive? I don’t want to risk it if it can potentially screw up my Windows

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alex Strebler said:

I never heard of doing that before

I think the person was referring to a windows option to "reset the os" which is where windows tries to clean its self up and restore its self to defaults, and it usually screws everything up.

That reset is a bad idea. 

What you are doing where you are wiping the drives, is the correct way to do it.

 

While you are doing this kind of OS reinstall, you should disconnect peripherals (except the keyboard and mouse) so they dont cause issues during the install.

Then plug them back in after windows is up and running.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K  @ 4.2MHz  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: EVGA NEX750B   Storage: (1)950 PRO 512GB (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 headset   UPS: APC XS 1300

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300


As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alex Strebler said:

Though i just thought is it safe to do on the C drive? I don’t want to risk it if it can potentially screw up my Windows

You quoted yourself. 

I've reset my C drive many times after screwups that I did and one strange one after a BIOS update( PC would boot up at 00:00 every morning...tried disabling wake up timers and a reset fixed my problem). The only issues I had that I don't know if there is a solution to other drives that have other files on them not including Windows like game drives would have an issue, so I just reformat them. 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

You quoted yourself. 

I've reset my C drive many times after screwups that I did and one strange one after a BIOS update( PC would boot up at 00:00 every morning...tried disabling wake up timers and a reset fixed my problem). The only issues I had that I don't know if there is a solution to other drives that have other files on them not including Windows like game drives would have an issue, so I just reformat them. 

Alright thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×