stuttering isues

Anton Buts

hey all,

Sinds last week I have been experiencing stuttering not only in games but also when the pc is idle. 

A month ago I replaced my graphics card with a gtx 760 because I still had it lying around.

Before that I had a gtx 1080 but it was sold to buy a 3070. This 760 is really the bottleneck of my pc at the moment, but I can't find anywhere online that this would cause stuttering. Is this the case or do I have another problem?

thanks

Anton

Hey Anton, it's possible that it's a bottleneck but I doubt it should be that bad. I recommend that you try to DDU your graphics drivers to remove them completely and install fresh ones.

You can find DDU here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Quick instructions:

Make sure Windows doesn't automatically install drivers and boot into safe mode (note that you can't use PIN if you normally use that to log into Windows. So I advice to try to log into Windows first with your password to make sure you have the correct one).

Run the tool and uninstall Nvidia display driver

Reboot into Windows normally and install drivers.

Do this again when you get your RTX 30.

How are you experiencing stuttering at idle?

What visual cue is telling you this is happening?

I ask because to me idle is desktop and i dont see how you would see stuttering, screen flickering maybe?

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

15 hours ago, cr8tor said:

How are you experiencing stuttering at idle?

What visual cue is telling you this is happening?

I ask because to me idle is desktop and i dont see how you would see stuttering, screen flickering maybe?

Its like when your pc freezes but very briefly. When playing music for example you can hear the music stuggle to play corectly.

Well if this didnt happen with your previous card and is happening now with this card, i would suspect the card.

Did you use the driver uninstall utility to reload the driver?

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

15 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Hey Anton, it's possible that it's a bottleneck but I doubt it should be that bad. I recommend that you try to DDU your graphics drivers to remove them completely and install fresh ones.

You can find DDU here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Quick instructions:

Make sure Windows doesn't automatically install drivers and boot into safe mode (note that you can't use PIN if you normally use that to log into Windows. So I advice to try to log into Windows first with your password to make sure you have the correct one).

Run the tool and uninstall Nvidia display driver

Reboot into Windows normally and install drivers.

Do this again when you get your RTX 30.

hey,

I tried to reinstall the drivers as you said but my problems are still here. could it be my ram that is having issues?

1 minute ago, Anton Buts said:

could it be my ram that is having issues

Well the thing is if the problem didnt happen before with the previous video card, and now it happens after putting an old spare card in there, its probably that card.

You know the little 760 is a bottleneck, its and old card, and this problem started after putting it in the system.

Until you remove it, i wouldnt start looking at everything else. 

99.5% its the old 760 video card.

Leave it be until you replace the old card.

Family machines

22 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

Well the thing is if the problem didnt happen before with the previous video card, and now it happens after putting an old spare card in there, its probably that card.

You know the little 760 is a bottleneck, its and old card, and this problem started after putting it in the system.

Until you remove it, i wouldnt start looking at everything else. 

99.5% its the old 760 video card.

Leave it be until you replace the old card.

oke thanks for the help.