Thermal paste question

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
1 minute ago, Enxquity said:

I currently have some worn out old thermal paste on my cpu and im pretty sure it's dried out fully.

if you didnt even repaste, that's definitely the culprit. thermal paste isn't really reusable

So, I recently got a used H100i Extreme Performance AIO and temperatures went to 100 degrees celcius under load so i thought it was broken; however, I was told this is due to the thermal paste. I have ordered Arctic MX-2 thermal paste and wanted to ask how much of a difference this would make.. I currently have some worn out old thermal paste on my cpu and im pretty sure it's dried out fully.

I just wanted to know what temperatures i would get with the thermal paste applied?

I bought the AIO cooler since I wanted to try some overclocking but i'm not sure if this would be possible.

Screenshot_4.png

Main RIG:

Motherboard: Z170 Pro Gaming, GPU: GTX 1070 MSI Gaming Z, CPU: i5 6600k, Memory: 16GB (8GB HyperX Fury DDR4 + 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4), PSU: TX550M 80+ Gold Certified 550W SSD 1: SN850 500GB M.2 NVME SSD 2: Kingston A400 120GB

I currently have some worn out old thermal paste on my cpu and im pretty sure it's dried out fully.

if you didnt even repaste, that's definitely the culprit. thermal paste isn't really reusable

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

So this would impact it alot? Since I really wanna try get into overclocking.

Main RIG:

Motherboard: Z170 Pro Gaming, GPU: GTX 1070 MSI Gaming Z, CPU: i5 6600k, Memory: 16GB (8GB HyperX Fury DDR4 + 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4), PSU: TX550M 80+ Gold Certified 550W SSD 1: SN850 500GB M.2 NVME SSD 2: Kingston A400 120GB

10 minutes ago, Enxquity said:

So this would impact it alot? Since I really wanna try get into overclocking.

yes, fresh paste should have a very large impact

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

yes, fresh paste should have a very large impact

How much degrees do you think the cpu would average on base clock 100% load?

Main RIG:

How much degrees do you think the cpu would average on base clock 100% load?

I can't say because I don't know what case you're using or what airflow or fan profile, or if your room is a hot room or something

what I can say is that it won't thermal throttle anymore.

Primary PC:

I can't say because I don't know what case you're using or what airflow or fan profile, or if your room is a hot room or something

I have a pretty cheap case, I think its the AVP Kolus.

My room, is pretty hot, like 23 degrees+

Main RIG:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Yeah this is the case.

941067-912978-800.jpg

Main RIG:

18 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Apart from that, do you think it'll be possible to do some overclocking with the thermal paste on?

Main RIG:

4 minutes ago, Enxquity said:

Apart from that, do you think it'll be possible to do some overclocking with the thermal paste on?

for sure, a 240mm radiator is plenty to overclock a 4 core CPU.

although I didn't notice that you said used in the original post, make sure the pump is working properly and that the tubes are hot when you apply new thermal paste and run the system. If the CPU is hot and the tubes are cold, you might have a different problem.

Primary PC:

although I didn't notice that you said used in the original post, make sure the pump is working properly and that the tubes are hot when you apply new thermal paste and run the system. If the CPU is hot and the tubes are cold, you might have a different problem.

Well the tubes are very cold, but on the software it's saying that the pump is running at around 2300+rpm

Main RIG:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Screenshot_5.png

Main RIG:

20 minutes ago, Enxquity said:

Well the tubes are very cold, but on the software it's saying that the pump is running at around 2300+rpm

at this time the tubes would be cold because the thermal transfer from the CPU is inadequate

Primary PC:

14 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

at this time the tubes would be cold because the thermal transfer from the CPU is inadequate

Ah, alright.

Main RIG:

On 10/24/2020 at 10:15 PM, Fasauceome said:

Put on the new thermal paste and im not even getting over 40 degrees under full load!

Main RIG: