Windows Installation Continually Goes Corrupt

Gmoney57

I've been having issues with Windows becoming corrupt ever since a few months after I built it. Originally when I first built the PC, I was using a 1 TB Seagate Hard Drive that later had corruption issues and eventually died. Usually, I would be able to use Windows for about a week before it became corrupted, but now I can't even install it on the new SSD I bought for it. At first, I thought it was the graphics drivers that were having issues but it soon became apparent that back when I could still get Windows to install, that it would almost immediately become corrupted, sometimes words in menus cut off or icons not showing up (and sometimes menus and searches not opening at all). I had fought with it for months and searched for anything I could that might be related to the issue. I tried everything everyone else tried, yet no good results. I eventually came upon this post that said that my SSD might be too big and that it worked just fine when they tried installing Windows on a smaller SSD. I got excited because it was something that I hadn't come across or heard yet so I rushed to buy a smaller SSD (128 GB Kingston M.2 SSD [not sure of the exact model]). As soon as it got here I threw it into my system and ran the Windows installer. Nothing. My Sandisk SSD still showed up, but no M.2. So I went ahead and dove into that mess too, with still no solution that fixed my problem(s). I know it's not the Sandisk SSD because when I put it in my laptop Windows installs just fine and runs perfectly, with no corruption. I haven't tested the Kingston SSD in my laptop. I'm beginning to think it's either a faulty mobo or the sketchy power supply. It might be supplying too much or too little power, but I don't know for sure and might test the SATA power rails with a multimeter later...聽One time I attempted putting my laptop's hard drive (that was having no prior issues) in my PC and the hard drive started making weird whining and clicking noises and malfunctioned and went corrupt as did my SSD. I put the hard drive back into my laptop and reinstalled windows and it's worked fine in my laptop ever since. In the past, I've also received BSODs from "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED" to "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" and a variety of others, and each solution I found either fixed it only for a short while or didn't fix it at all. Here are some of the things I've tried:

• Getting new SATA cables
  • Plugging SATA cables into each port on my mobo
  • Using different SATA power connectors from my power supply
  • Unplugging all peripherals and USB drives (other than the installation drive and ethernet cable)
  • Swapping out my RAM configuration
  • Only using one stick of RAM (tried all three) in each of the slots
  • Running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool multiple times (all results came back normal)
  • Scanning the SanDisk SSD with various tools like EaseUS
  • Scanning the SanDisk SSD with the built-in error-checking tool (sometimes it had errors, other times it didn't)
  • Using all SFC commands multiple times
  • Using all DISM commands multiple times
  • Editing the registry multiple times
  • Using a local account instead of my Microsoft one
  • Signing in with my Microsoft account AFTER I created a local account
  • Wiping the SanDisk SSD
  • Manually creating new partitions on the SSD
  • Removing all bloatware with Windows10Debloater-master
  • Installing Windows 10 using my laptop (worked perfectly fine until I put it in my PC [worked for a few minutes before becoming corrupted again])
  • Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Plugging my PC straight into the wall rather than the power strip
  • Changing my GPU to a 1050 ti I had from before
  • Resetting BIOS to original defaults
  • Changing BIOS settings to RAID (in an attempt to find the M.2)
  • Changing BIOS settings to UEFI only
  • Updating BIOS version
  • Clearing CMOS
  • Replacing CMOS battery
  • Reinstalling Windows multiple times
  • Installing Windows 7 Home, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise (all of which became corrupt shortly after installation, if the installation was able to complete)
  • Installed each version mentioned above more than once with Rufus
  • Using both the official Windows installer and Rufus on multiple different brands and sizes of USB drives (at least 10 different drives)
  • Installing Ubuntu (had multiple errors while installing packages but didn't list any packages that were in a broken state, and then the installer crashed [it appeared to install but after I restarted it wasn't able to boot])
  • And many more things...

Hardware List:

Intel OEM LGA 2011v3 Mobo
Intel Xeon E5-2650 V3 10 C 20 T @2.3 GHz
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT MECH OC
Sandisk X400 1 TB SSD (SATA)
Kentek 850 Watt PSU
T-Force Delta 24GB (3 x 8 GB) @2666 MHz

Does anyone know what else I can try to hopefully get this to work (both the M.2 SSD and the Widows corruption issue)? It's been a crazy life with this PC so pls helppppp聽馃槚馃槚馃槚

try only running two sticks of ram, and underclock the ram frequency by quite a bit.

after you do that try using only a flash drive as a boot drive temporarily, if everything goes well while using the flash drive聽then try making your ssd the聽boot drive.

i have a pretty distinct feeling this might be a ram issue, if its not the ram then you can probably blame the motherboard聽

36 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

try only running two sticks of ram, and underclock the ram frequency by quite a bit.

after you do that try using only a flash drive as a boot drive temporarily, if everything goes well while using the flash drive聽then try making your ssd the聽boot drive.

i have a pretty distinct feeling this might be a ram issue, if its not the ram then you can probably blame the motherboard聽

Yeah I've tried running 1聽and 2 sticks at once before with no difference. I can try it again though because it's been weird the whole way through. I haven't tried underclocking it but it would make a bit of sense to do so since I think the maximum speed the CPU can handle is 2133 MHz. Something I've also tried in the past with a few different versions of Windows is to install it on a flash drive so I聽could just boot to that. I've used 3 or 4 programs like Rufus to try to flash it on 5 or 6 different flash drives and all has failed.聽

16 minutes ago, FAQUERETERMAX said:

It seems like a mb problem

Yeah I was thinking it was either a mobo or power supply issue and some people have told me power supply and others have told me mobo, and of course there's multiple things I've tried elsewhere that never worked so it's really confusing.

3 minutes ago, Gmoney57 said:

Yeah I've tried running 1, and 2 sticks at once before with no difference. I can try it again though because it's been weird the whole way through. I haven't tried underclocking it but it would make a bit of sense to do so since I think the maximum speed the CPU can handle is 2133 MHz. Something I've also tried in the past with a few different versions of Windows is to install it on a flash drive so I聽could just boot to that. I've used 3 or 4 programs like Rufus to try to flash it on 5 or 6 different flash drive and all has failed.聽

overclocked ram can cause countless different bsod's two examples of the blue screens you could get are critical process died and memory management, but you can safely say its probably a motherboard issue if its not a ram issue

5 hours ago, Gmoney57 said:

Intel OEM LGA 2011v3 Mobo

What is this? We need specifics please. 馃檪

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)聽 聽---聽The only time聽I聽sort by price from high to low is when I聽am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap聽i7-7700k though)
Mobo:聽ASRock Z170 Extreme7+聽 CPU: i7-6700K @聽4.6MHz OC聽聽Cooling:Corsair H115i Hydro聽聽Memory: TridentZ 32GB @聽3600MHz聽聽GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)聽聽
PSU:聽Corsair HX850i聽 聽Storage: 980 Pro聽1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb,聽(2)ADATA SU800 1TB聽聽Keyboard: Logitech G910聽聽Mouse:聽Logitech G502聽 聽Headset:聽Logitech G930聽UPS: APC Pro聽1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit聽 Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+ 聽CPU: i7-3820 聽Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator聽聽Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB聽HDD (1) 4TB聽HDD聽聽
GPU:聽MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC聽(passed through to Emby) 聽NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)聽聽UPS: APC PRO聽1000
Docker Containers:聽Emby and Home-Assistant-Core聽聽Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E 聽CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F 聽Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400 聽Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB 聽Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2聽聽
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or聽EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB 聽PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ 聽UPS: APC XS聽1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker聽assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

14 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

What is this? We need specifics please. 馃檪

It's an Atermiter X99 motherboard I believe.

atermiter-X99-motherboard-CPU-processor-RAM-set-with-intel-Xeon-E5-2678-V3-4pcs-16GB-64GB.jpg_Q90.jpg_.jpg

5 hours ago, GoodEnough said:

overclocked ram can cause countless different bsod's two examples of the blue screens you could get are critical process died and memory management, but you can safely say its probably a motherboard issue if its not a ram issue

Yeah I just tried reinstalling Windows using the Media Creation Tool since the October Update recently came out on both 2133 MHz and 2000 MHz and both got the same outcome, other than i actually got this screen instead for some unknown reason.

I clicked "OK" and tried rescanning but it still couldn't find anything and the same window popped up. Then I tried reflashing an older version of Windows from an ISO I still had but it said it couldn't be verified from Microsoft and that I had to get the updated version.

20201024_175227.jpg

40 minutes ago, Gmoney57 said:

It's an Atermiter X99 motherboard I believe.

Yeah, your mobo is not well paired with a $1100+聽processor and the board has died.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)聽 聽---聽The only time聽I聽sort by price from high to low is when I聽am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap聽i7-7700k though)
Mobo:聽ASRock Z170 Extreme7+聽 CPU: i7-6700K @聽4.6MHz OC聽聽Cooling:Corsair H115i Hydro聽聽Memory: TridentZ 32GB @聽3600MHz聽聽GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)聽聽
PSU:聽Corsair HX850i聽 聽Storage: 980 Pro聽1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb,聽(2)ADATA SU800 1TB聽聽Keyboard: Logitech G910聽聽Mouse:聽Logitech G502聽 聽Headset:聽Logitech G930聽UPS: APC Pro聽1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit聽 Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+ 聽CPU: i7-3820 聽Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator聽聽Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB聽HDD (1) 4TB聽HDD聽聽
GPU:聽MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC聽(passed through to Emby) 聽NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)聽聽UPS: APC PRO聽1000
Docker Containers:聽Emby and Home-Assistant-Core聽聽Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E 聽CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F 聽Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400 聽Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB 聽Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2聽聽
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or聽EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB 聽PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ 聽UPS: APC XS聽1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker聽assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

51 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

Yeah, your mobo is not well paired with a $1100+聽processor and the board has died.

I was afraid that was the case. Do you have any recommendations for a new motherboard? And could the power supply have damaged the motherboard or is it definitely just not paired properly?

Well, thats a processor thats not mean to pair with a cheap board.

The cheapest i can find that is qualified for that cpu is this ASRock -聽https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1576926-REG/asrock_epc612d8a_e5_1600_2600.html

Or you can go ASUS -聽https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QC5DZEU?tag=pcpapi-20

Family machines

7 hours ago, GoodEnough said:

Underclocking the RAM actually cause this corrupt-looking windows "logo" to go away while the installer was loading up. Before, as it was loading up, there were these 3 or 4 choppy blue lines the name color as the Windows logo above them. After I underclocked the RAM to 2133 they never came back. The installer still doesn't want聽to install though.

1 hour ago, cr8tor said:

Well, thats a processor thats not mean to pair with a cheap board.

The cheapest i can find that is qualified for that cpu is this ASRock -聽https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1576926-REG/asrock_epc612d8a_e5_1600_2600.html

Or you can go ASUS -聽https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QC5DZEU?tag=pcpapi-20

Thank you, this is very appreciated. Are only server-grade boards able to be paired with this processor?

13 hours ago, Gmoney57 said:

Are only server-grade boards able to be paired with this processor?

Thats what it was meant for, so thats what you are going to find for the most part.

Obviously you can find boards for just about anything, but your mileage may vary with uncertified boards.

Family machines

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not updating this thread for a while, I've been busy with school and family. I聽made a TON of progress. I really have no idea why though... I picked out the motherboard I wanted and wanted to test the PSU before I bought the motherboard to be sure that was the problem. I removed the PSU and tested the voltages of every single pin with a multimeter just to be sure they were outputting the right voltages, and they were. So I put the unit back into my PC and reconnected everything and re-cable managed everything. [NOTE: I removed some adapter that converted 2 AMP connectors to a PCI-E connector, which I was using for my graphics card.] I decided to give it one last go and tried installing Windows 10 again, and to my surprise, it actually worked. I was scared because it hasn't worked for a long while. The SSD was still hitting 100% quite frequently but never crashed from it as it did before. I researched a couple more articles and one of them said to change my PC's power plan from "Balanced" to "High Performance." It also said for me to edit the High Performance Plan (by clicking "Change plan settings" then click "Change advanced power settings") and disable the "Link state power management. " The disk has only touched 100% once or twice since and that was while it was downloading two games and a Windows update simultaneously and it was only at 100% for less than a second. Something to note is that after installing Steam I would always get a "DISK WRITE ERROR" when trying to install the first game. I fixed that issue after I cleared the download cache in the Steam settings. Haven't had a problem since so hopefully it holds out just fine until I work up enough money to afford a new motherboard and PSU. Fingers crossed聽馃馃榾

2 minutes ago, Gmoney57 said:

Fingers crossed

Good luck! 馃檪

Family machines