Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is there anything wrong with this document

could I add to the title this: (apart from the Calibri sans)

hey guys I recently wrote this for a friend and was hoping it was all accurate before I send. would you guys know of any other PCIe 4.0 SSD's that would be worth giving a mention in this. thanks for reading:

In this document I will be comparing different 2TB NVMe SSD`s that run on the PCIe 4.0 bus. I also included the intel 660p because although that may still be PCIe 3.0 it sometimes actually beats the PCIe 4.0 drives in areas like random reads and writes, I will explain this in more detail in a bit. So, let us get on with the individual reviews of the SSD (they are in no order).

Firstly I will be starting off with the Sabrent 2TB rocket, Sabrent are not a very large company in the SSD manufacturing space which comes with some advantages and dis-advantages, one of the advantages is that it has a great price to performance, this is shown in the £40 less cost than all the other PCIe 4.0 SSD`s, but the dis-advantage is that it only comes with amazons built in warranty which is 30 days, so unless the SSD does not work out of the box then, there is no warranty support but, SSD`s are inherently quite hard to break unlike a hard disk which can be broken by: heat, vibration and runtime being too much and various components just fail after that long. But SSD`s on the other hand are very hard to break through vibrations/shock and unless taken to a temperature that would need more than 2 digits then would be totally fine. Speaking of temperature, you may have noticed that all the SSD`s apart from Optane have a large heatsink. This is because although the nand-flash does not generate much heat the controller of the SSD that generates the heat. The controller of the SSD manages all the data going in or out of the SSD, imagine it like a CPU for your SSD. This means that if it is like an CPU then it meant that it would have the same properties of a CPU, like outputting heat and the colder the controller is the better performance and longevity it will have. That is why the PCIe 4.0 SSD`s have heatsinks to cool the controller because the controller for PCIe gen4 SSD`s are much faster which means that it needs a much more powerful controller which therefore uses more power. So back to the Sabrent 4TB rocket. Another advantage to it is that it comes with their Acronis True Image software which means that switching this to a boot drive from a previous drive is easy without having to re-install windows. So, in conclusion for this SSD I would strongly recommend it.

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Internal-Performance-Heatsink-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-HTSK-2TB/dp/B07TLZVBNC/ref=asc_df_B07TLZVBNC/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795268306413&psc=1

The next SSD is the intel Optane 660P in the 2TB variant. So the main reason that you might be confused of why this SSD is in this roundup, because it is actually PCIe 3.0, this means that although it may have a lower raw throughput speed it only has 1800MB/s read and 1800MB/s writes compared to the roughly 3000MB/2 that most of the other PCIe 4.0 SSD`s get. But it has an ace up its sleeve. It has great random read and write numbers which means that it might perform better even though the numbers are lower. This is because intel use a technology called 3d Crosspoint which you will not find any other company using this technology other than intel because they have trademarked it and also it is a trade secret so any other company using it is breaking the law. so, what does this technology do then? Its hard to know exactly the dis-advantages and advantages because intel is not telling anyone how they did it, we just know that it increases random read/write performance which means that for workstation tasks it will be much faster. But because it is not PCIe 4.0 then it will not have the raw throughput which something like a raw file copy will take advantage off. You may be thinking with AMD`s dominance in the CPU space, “will it work with a AMD CPU” and the answer is yes but you might not get the intel acceleration technology which may sound like a dealbreaker for you, but AMD offers their store MI which can use any SSD to accelerate a hard disk. So, in conclusion, although the read/write numbers may not be slap across the face fast, which may be good for a small number of tasks, but I personally think that random read/write performance is much more important.

Link: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-intel-ssd-660p-series-m2-2280-pcie-30-x4-nvme-ssd-qlc-3d-nand-1800mb-s-read-1800mb-s-write-220k?msclkid=27edc347096b1442a1c39d85ac828fa7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Catchall%20-%20Low%20priority%20-%20High%20Margin%20Label%20-%20Shopping&utm_term=4575274043766806&utm_content=Ad%20group%20#1

The third SSD is the gigabyte Aorus 2TB SSD, and the main advantage is the speed and the reliability. The speed is around 5000MB/s read and 4400MB/s writes which is the fastest SSD yet but the next 3 SSD`s are also around the same speed and going any faster than this would not give any advantage because the speed would not be fully utilized, because the CPU asking for the data would have too much too handle and the bottleneck would be the CPU not the SSD. It also comes with a 5 year warranty which may seem like a lot because most SSD`s will fail after around 10 years and 10% will fail at around the 5 year mark which makes you wonder how Aorus can give a 5 year warranty. Its because they use 96-layer Nand flash which means that the SSD will last much longer although there is no performance benefit to performance with this feature. It also comes with SSD monitoring software that comes with all Aorus SSD`s which means that you can monitor things like the temperature, firmware version and secure erase if you ever need it. Onto the part that all the PCIe gen4 SSD`s have in common, the heatsink. It is one of the most efficient yet, this is because even though the heatsink is not as large as some of the others, it has great thermal conductivity at around 401 watts per meter kelvin, which is probably a figure with no context, so let me give you some context. Most heatsinks for SSD`s use aluminium which has a thermal conductivity of around 237 watts per meter kelvin. The copper that is used in this SSD`s heatsink is around 401 watts per meter kelvin (as I mentioned earlier). So, in conclusion I would strongly recommend this SSD for its long-term stability.

Link: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-gigabyte-aorus-m2-2280-pcie-40-x4-nvme-ssd-3d-tlc-5000mb-s-read-4400mb-s-write-750k-700k-iops?msclkid=a6e29f9631581d9f08aec154974c319d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Catchall%20-%20Low%20priority%20-%20High%20Margin%20Label%20-%20Shopping&utm_term=4575274043766806&utm_content=Ad%20group%20#1

So, I may have mentioned earlier that all the PCIe gen4 SSD`s had heatsinks, I lied. This Seagate firecuda 520 SSD does not come with a heatsink which has its advantages and dis-advantages. The advantages are that compatibility will be much improved if the M.2 slot that you are putting it into has very low clearance, if for example you where putting it on the back of the motherboard and the case would be right up against it. But the dis-advantages are that the lifetime will probably not be improved and speed may drop over time as the controller on the SSD starts to throttle. So, for large file copies the controller may thermal throttle which means that over the period of that copy speed will drop over time. Which is annoying because the Achilles heel of this SSD is large continuous file copies which is one of the only advantages of PCIe gen4 SSD`s is that they can do large file copies faster. Although it does come with a 5 year warranty which will cover you for if the SSD totally fails but, will not cover you if the SSD starts to slow down, which is probably what is going to happen to this SSD over time. Although it does have 5000MB/s read speeds and 4400MB/s write speeds which is around what all the other PCIe 4.0 SSD`s are getting. Although that measurement of speed was probably taken at the start of the copy and not after it had been copying for a while because if they did the speed would probably have decreased. So how can you avoid the thermal throttling of this SSD? Well having a lot of airflow from the fans would help because the controller would be able to cool down faster, but the controller would still not be at the same temperature as of one that was properly cooled. It does come with “seatools” which is Seagate’s proprietary software for monitoring things like temperature and device health which is strange because all it is going to do is tell you how inadequately cooled your SSD is. So, in conclusion for this SSD I will recommend it to someone if they want a PCIe 4.0 SSD but do not have enough space for one with a heatsink, so as a last resort.

Link: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-seagate-firecuda-520-m2-2280-pcie-40-x4-nvme-ssd-3d-tlc-5000mb-s-read-4400mb-s-750k-700k-iops?msclkid=c498dc0c10f51a0471be82ceb6ecfc03&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Catchall%20-%20Low%20priority%20-%20High%20Margin%20Label%20-%20Shopping&utm_term=4575274043766806&utm_content=Ad%20group%20#1

So now for the final SSD, the corsair MP600 2TB. This was one of the first PCIe 4.0 SSD`s available to consumers which has meant that it has been the standard for PCIe 4.0 SSD`s and rightly so. It has roughly the same speed as all the other SSD`s at around 5000MB/s reads and 4250MB/s writes, which is plenty for nearly any task that you can throw at it. It is properly cooled with a large aluminium heatsink that will beat all the other SSD heatsinks by miles, although that does come with some downsides, the main one is compatibility. Having heatsink that is 15MM tall means that putting it anywhere that might be a tight fit is out of the window. Although it is not all downsides to having a large heatsink on the SSD, it increases performance after long copies where other SSD`s might throttle this one prevails and also the longevity of the SSD is also far improved from all of the rest, this shows in corsairs 5 year warranty and according to the reviews even after that they do help if the SSD is malfunctioning. This SSD also has great random read/write performance which means that workstation tasks and future programs will be able to take advantage of the much more powerful SSD. There is not much else to say about this SSD than it is good.

Link: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-corsair-force-mp600-m2-2280-pcie-40-x4-nvme-ssd-phison-tlc-3d-nand-4950mb-s-read-4250mb-s-write6?msclkid=f94dad1563d214bf4fd8f3d7c5e94e09&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Catchall%20-%20Low%20priority%20-%20Low%20Margin%20Label%20-%20Shopping&utm_term=4574655568555954&utm_content=Ad%20group%20#1 

So this graph is fairly self-explanatory it is the different speeds of the different SSD`s read and write speed, read is in blue and write is in orange

So let me do a breakdown of this graph. So the first 3 rows I have already explained and are pretty simple anyway and the 4th row is just to use fancy excel formatting so that I can do the price per TB row. The 5th column is where it starts to actually mean something, as you ca see there is a clear distinction from the ones with heatsinks and the ones without a heatsink the ones that are around 3-4mm do not have a heatsink and the ones around 10-15MM are the ones with a heatsink, your motherboards website will have the M.2 compatibility listing on their site, so go and check their to see if it will fit before you buy it. So the 6th column is warranty, they are all 5TB, this is mostly because I looked at most of them on scan and scan have very good warranty service, so I would strongly recommend going their for getting one of these SSD`s (link below each of their reviews). The 6th column is power usage and to be honest this is pretty dull and unless you are on a super tight power budget that can not use an extra 2 watts then I would ignore this column. So now for the 7th column, it is MTBF which stands for Mean Time Between failure and it is basically where you unit will probably fail, this is found when a manufacturer will have, lets say 100 SSD`s then, they will see at what point 50 of them fail and measure how long that was. Sabrent did not do this testing so I do not have a figure for that. The 8th column is price and its pretty self-explanatory, so I am going to leave that alone. The 9th and 10th column are value, the 9th column is basically the price divided by 2 because the capacity is 2TB but, it is meaningful nonetheless, so if you want value then this is a good column to look at. So the 10th column is price to performance which is good if you want raw performance but also want good pricing, so you may be thinking that the PCIe 4.0 SSD`s thrash the PCIe gen3 SSD`s in this category but there is a point of diminishing returns and it is in around between the speed of PCIe gen3 and PCIe gen4. So that is the graph breakdown complete now onto the conclusion

So in conclusion the overall SSD that I would recommend would be the Gigabyte Aorus 2TB or the Intel Optane 660P. the way to choose which one you want is, if you want raw throughput speed pick the Gigabyte Aorus 2TB but if you want good random read/write performance go for the intel Optane 660P. the way too choose this is if you are doing things like loading large files then go for the Gigabyte Aorus 2TB. But if you are doing a workstation tasks, so that might be something like video editing or VFX work then I would recommend the intel Optane. If there was a leader board, these 2 (the intel Optane and the Gigabyte Aorus 2TB) would be in first, the Corsair force MP600 in second, the Sabrent Rocket 2TB in 3rd, closely behind would be the Seagate firecuda 520.

also would you guys have come to a different conclusion?