Modem Help

CoolName80
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
39 minutes ago, CoolName80 said:

I was looking at my modem setting and saw a option saying (modem only - modem + router) I was wondering what option is better and wanted to see if there any benefits to an option? Another question I had is if I should have the lights on my modem blinking or have them still?

My modem is a netgear D7000

Sounds like you’ve got a modem/router.  They’re different components, though most modern modems have a router in them.  If you’re not using it to route you could theoretically turn it off.  Whether it will help anything or not is another question.  That’s mostly for “i want to use a different router with more ports” 

I was looking at my modem setting and saw a option saying (modem only - modem + router) I was wondering what option is better and wanted to see if there any benefits to an option? Another question I had is if I should have the lights on my modem blinking or have them still?

-Moved to Networking-

Please don't double or triple post, and try to post in the correct subforum

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

39 minutes ago, CoolName80 said:

Sounds like you’ve got a modem/router.  They’re different components, though most modern modems have a router in them.  If you’re not using it to route you could theoretically turn it off.  Whether it will help anything or not is another question.  That’s mostly for “i want to use a different router with more ports” 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 hours ago, Slottr said:

-Moved to Networking-

Please don't double or triple post, and try to post in the correct subforum

Sorry still new to the site, didn't mean to do a double post I wanted to change the title on the topic and I don't know how to delete a post.

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Understood, thanks for the info.