Best fan placement for Lian Li O11 Dynamic

Zalosath

Hi there,

I currently have a NXZT H510 case, it's thermals are terrible and it wont run lower than 80 degrees (even idle) with the side panel on. So currently, the side panel is off.

I am sick of this and decided to upgrade to a Lian Li O11 Dynamic. The case has lots of locations for fans and radiators, so my question is, what's the best placement for these?

I have a 360mm radiator for the CPU and 3 120mm fans to work with. 

This is my current idea:

spacer.png

Would this be good or is there a better configuration? 

Thanks.

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

Your setup is pretty much the best for the number of fans you have. I'd probably get another 3 fans and place them as intake on the bottom aswell.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

Your setup is pretty much the best for the number of fans you have. I'd probably get another 3 fans and place them as intake on the bottom aswell.

Okay great. If I run into any thermal issues I'll be sure to pick up another 3. Thank you :)

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

I would maybe set the radiator to the side, so it does not such in the hot air from the GPU, but leave the top es exhaust. Let the exhaust run a bit faster than the Intake ones, so the GPU can suck in air from the bottom and not the warm air from the CPU.

I tested it and saw up to a 10C CPU diff, depending on the GPU load.

I went totally overkill with my fans in the O11D

Bottom: 3 intake (For GPU)

Side: 6 intake (Push Pull with 360 rad for CPU)

Top: 3 exhaust (Running faster than the intake ones, so to not get a huge pressure difference)

Whats nice about that, is that no matter what my fans dont ramp up over 800rmp with the curves I set up, no matter what I do.

Spoiler

Mein PC.jpg

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

On 10/19/2020 at 2:04 PM, Noah0302 said:

I would maybe set the radiator to the side, so it does not such in the hot air from the GPU, but leave the top es exhaust. Let the exhaust run a bit faster than the Intake ones, so the GPU can suck in air from the bottom and not the warm air from the CPU.

Top: 3 exhaust (Running faster than the intake ones, so to not get a huge pressure difference)

Whats nice about that, is that no matter what my fans dont ramp up over 800rmp with the curves I set up, no matter what I do.

Reveal hidden contents

Mein PC.jpg

Thanks for your help. I managed to find an additional 5 fans but unfortunately, a potential oversight in the case is that the SSDs HAVE to go in the front, unless I just wasn't able to find one on the back? So I was limited to only having 2 fans along the bottom instead of 3. 

I'm seeing temps of about 50 degrees C which is a massive improvement over what I had previously. 

Here's a picture, should you be curious to see. (I love white! but RGB fans are expensive!)

Spoiler

spacer.png

you can always just velcro, double sided tape , something else your ssd at the back of the case

oddly enough im also going from a 510 to an o11 as i track down parts this month

if you do the 3 at the bottom be sure to check clearance on your usb 3.0 header if at the bottom of your motherboard.   ive had to order an extender

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s | Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 | GeForce RTX 3080 VISION OC 10G | Lian iO1Dyamic | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W | Acer Predator X34 P | Acer XB271HU | NZXT Kraken Z73

3 hours ago, smatts said:

you can always just velcro, double sided tape , something else your ssd at the back of the case

oddly enough im also going from a 510 to an o11 as i track down parts this month

if you do the 3 at the bottom be sure to check clearance on your usb 3.0 header if at the bottom of your motherboard.   ive had to order an extender

Yeah the USB 3.0 would definitely not fit without an extender, which one have you ordered? So I can order one that will fit.

21 hours ago, Zalosath said:

Yeah the USB 3.0 would definitely not fit without an extender, which one have you ordered? So I can order one that will fit.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B083XDQSWT?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

no idea if it's good quality or not but it has thw flex to make the bend and for $25 i figured I'd try.   anything else i saw was expensive shipping

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s | Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 | GeForce RTX 3080 VISION OC 10G | Lian iO1Dyamic | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W | Acer Predator X34 P | Acer XB271HU | NZXT Kraken Z73

On 10/23/2020 at 12:47 PM, Zalosath said:

Thanks for your help. I managed to find an additional 5 fans but unfortunately, a potential oversight in the case is that the SSDs HAVE to go in the front, unless I just wasn't able to find one on the back?

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

so ignore my comment about velco for ssds in this case.   Now that im finally getting parts in ive learned the back plate is where you mount them.   that center bar with the rubber pads.  a little mad at myself for not noticing 

img_0524.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same dilema as well at first.What I did was:

6 fans up top set to intake (Push-Pull 360 Rad) at 600-900 RPM
3 fans side set to exhaust at 800 to 1400 RPM
3 fans bottom set to intake 400rpm to 600 RPM

Idle temps:                              CPU: 39-41 C     GPU: 37-40 C

Load Temps Stress Test:        CPU: 65-71 C     GPU: 68-73 C

Gaming Temps:                      CPU: 44-56 C     GPU: 45-68 C (Game dependent)

All are average temps at 28-30 C ambient.

I've set the Exhaust fans at a higher RPMs to exhaust more hot air efficiently. I've manage to use an average of the CPU and GPU temps to control the speed of the side fans. For the CPU, since it is in push pull, I can safely reduce the RPMs and barely notice any difference. As for the bottom, I've used the same app so that my GPU temp controls the fan speed and 600 RPM is quiet sufficient to cool the GPU even under load and noticed little improvement going higher. This for me is the perfect balance of looks and performance. You can sacrifice a bit of CPU temp to cool the GPU better by using top rad as exhaust while using bottom and side as intake, or using side rad and bottom as intake and top as exhaust, but I'm not quite pleased with how it looks. I want the top part covered as much as it would give me a cleaner look by hiding the empty space and cables hence the push/pull Rad config at the top and I want my side fans facing forward hence they are set to exhaust 

Software I used is Argus Monitor.

124268478_408763677169309_484961904050224219_n.jpg

• 2 months later...

I had the same delemma. I actually ended up returning my cheap case quality fans and I bought 2 sets of Corsair LL120s fans that can produce 65 CFM of wind. I have 3 on the side and 3 on the bottom set to intake, and then I have a NZXT Kraken X73 AIO at the top, set to Exhaust and I have almost identical temperatures as someone commented with their push-pull 6 fan setup plus the additional 3 fans at top and 3 fans at the bottom. 

Idle temps - CPU(35°-39°), GPU(31-37°)

Cpu load stress test - CPU(60-72°), GPU(55,65°) gpu did very well.

Game temps - this fluctuates per game but CPU does 50-70° and GPU does a very consistent 60-65°

I'm running a 5900x and those tend to run hotter then normal too.20210201_024502.thumb.jpg.8eb7f4f97a5c51d13470083a08b0476b.jpg

20210128_234322.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2020 at 6:34 PM, Noah0302 said:

Hide contents

Mein PC.jpg

Hi, just wanted to bounce an idea off you. What you've done sounds pretty perfect and I'll probably do just that but how does this sound?

Bottom - 3 fans intake

Side - 3 fans intake

Top - 120 Radiator (Z53) + 2 exhaust fans

Rear - 2 x 80mm exhaust

OR

Top - 3 exhaust fans

and Noctua D15

Thanks for a reply from you or anyone 😊

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2020 at 9:04 AM, Noah0302 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Mein PC.jpg

Can you tell me more about the fan curve set up? 

I'm having overheating issues. While playing GTAV 5-10 mid later my PC just shutsdown unexpectedly

On 10/19/2020 at 9:04 AM, Noah0302 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Mein PC.jpg

Can you explain the Fan curve for me? I have a similar set up as you. (just need to reconfigure the 6 fans on the radiator as intakes) but I also wanna lower the rpm and get the maximum air flow to keep the Temperature low. 

I noticed that my PC shutsdown unexpectedly after aying GTAV for more than 5-10 mins. And I'm pretty sure it's the GPU over heating.