Google Chrome Folding App

This is all in the FAQ - but thought I would also start a thread concerning, in case anyone has questions...

CHROME FOLDING APP

So, as many of you have heard, there is now a Chrome Folding App - just visit the app store to install. Easy peasy. You need to have a minimum of version 31.
Here is some info:
  • Very small WU's - so you will go through a lot, but point accumulation should be adjusted accordingly
  • Light - about 20-30% usage on all cores
  • Medium - about 60-70% usage on all cores (my 4770k was spiked at 80%)
  • Full - 100% usage on all cores
  • Works on Windows, Linux and Mac
  • Only support CPU Folding for the time being
  • Only runs on Intel and AMD chips. They are actively working to get support for others.
The tab needs to be "open" to actively fold - you close all your browser tabs and folding shuts down. Also, on occasion I have seen ti get stuck after a new WU download and be sitting there waiting for me to click on "Start Folding" - so peak it on it every once and a while

Some usage numbers:
Rig - 4770k, stock, 780 stock, Gigabyte Sniper G1. M5 with 32GB ram. CPU cooler is a H220 with 2 x Noctua NF-F12's in pull (though that doesn't matter). Idle temp is about 30C on all cores/

Light - I saw the temp rise to about 45-50C. Averaged about 18 minutes to complete a WU.
Medium - Temp went up to about the low 50's. Averaged about 6-7 minutes to complete a WU.
High - Temp peaked in the mid 60's. Averaged about 3-4 minutes to complete a WU.

post-765-0-24621700-1394469988.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the app - make sure to update with your ID, the team ID and the passkey. (Read the FAQ for info on getting a passkey). Don't forget to click "save".

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

You might want to fix the formatting on your post ;)

7qfN5.png 

Do these small WUs still count towards the F@H forum badge?

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

You might want to fix the formatting on your post ;)

Problem is not my formating - it's your theme - looks fine in others... All the txt coloring is set to automatic...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Do these small WUs still count towards the F@H forum badge?

I am for now. :)   At some point I may review all badges given, if you haven't folded in like a year, it may be pulled, but as it stands, if you contribute to the team, you will get a badge...

Problem is not my formating - it's your theme - looks fine in others...

No, it's not. When you copied and pasted stuff, it took that formatting. Instead of Control+V, you need to Control+Shift+V.

It's a little trick @Vitalius taught everybody ;)

Let me check it in the other post..

Edit - yep, bunch of other posts are messed up in night theme and the text was not copied in... Going to see if I can track this down... as I am not retyping a bunch of stuff. :)

Let me check it in the other post..

Edit - yep, bunch of other posts are messed up in night theme and the text was not copied in... Going to see if I can track this down... as I am not retyping a bunch of stuff. :)

Just copy what ever your post said, and then paste it as plain text (Control+Shift+V) like this:

This is all in the FAQ - but thought I would also start a thread concerning, in case anyone has questions...

CHROME FOLDING APP

So, as many of you have heard, there is now a Chrome Folding App - just visit the app store to install. Easy peasy. You need to have a minimum of version 31.
Here is some info:
Very small WU's - so you will go through a lot, but point accumulation should be adjusted accordingly
Light - about 20-30% usage on all cores
Medium - about 60-70% usage on all cores (my 4770k was spiked at 80%)
Full - 100% usage on all cores
Works on Windows, Linux and Mac
Only support CPU Folding for the time being
Only runs on Intel and AMD chips. They are actively working to get support for others.
The tab needs to be "open" to actively fold - you close all your browser tabs and folding shuts down. Also, on occasion I have seen ti get stuck after a new WU download and be sitting there waiting for me to click on "Start Folding" - so peak it on it every once and a while
Some usage numbers:
Rig - 4770k, stock, 780 stock, Gigabyte Sniper G1. M5 with 32GB ram. CPU cooler is a H220 with 2 x Noctua NF-F12's in pull (though that doesn't matter). Idle temp is about 30C on all cores/

Light - I saw the temp rise to about 45-50C. Averaged about 18 minutes to complete a WU.
Medium - Temp went up to about the low 50's. Averaged about 6-7 minutes to complete a WU.
High - Temp peaked in the mid 60's. Averaged about 3-4 minutes to complete a WU.

Here is a screen shot of the app - make sure to update with your ID, the team ID and the passkey. (Read the FAQ for info on getting a passkey). Don't forget to click "save".

instead of

CHROME FOLDING APP

Here is some info:

• Very small WU's - so you will go through a lot, but point accumulation should be adjusted accordingly
  • Only runs on Intel and AMD chips. They are actively working to get support for others.
  • The tab needs to be "open" to actively fold - you close all your browser tabs and folding shuts down. Also, on occasion I have seen ti get stuck after a new WU download and be sitting there waiting for me to click on "Start Folding" - so peak it on it every once and a while

Some usage numbers:

I am for now. :)   At some point I may review all badges given, if you haven't folded in like a year, it may be pulled, but as it stands, if you contribute to the team, you will get a badge...

Also how would I go about getting a badge? :)  (I've completed 24 WUs)

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Also how would I go about getting a badge? :)  (I've completed 24 WUs)

Did we read the FAQ? I think not. :)

PM me your folding ID and then I can verify and award da badge...

Team ID is in the first post by Whaler_99 and the passkey is generated here https://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-passkey/. It's all in the FAQ

Thanks.

Might want to include the link in first post ;)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/foldinghome/hmnbjdgjgikbkapaolimfoidihobnofo?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Anyways, this got me back into folding, so YAY!

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

CHROME FOLDING APP

Here is some info:

• The tab needs to be "open" to actively fold - you close all your browser tabs and folding shuts down. Also, on occasion I have seen ti get stuck after a new WU download and be sitting there waiting for me to click on "Start Folding" - so peak it on it every once and a while

Some usage numbers:

Interesting numbers you got their. I tried it out on my 2860QM and got similar times for each usage level. It really shows how little the performance difference there has been since Sandy Bridge.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Interesting numbers you got their. I tried it out on my 2860QM and got similar times for each usage level. It really shows how little the performance difference there has been since Sandy Bridge.

In this regard I don't think it is a performance issue in regards to SB versus IB versus Haswel. In the end, the Chrome browser only has so much priority to the hardware layer. At Full folding, I was also watching a 1080p movie and surfing the internet and running a few other apps in some of my test runs. With the FAH client at Full, this wouldn't be possible.

The second thing is these are very small WU's. A high end WU can take 8-15 hours to complete and a BA WU can take 24 hrs. I think the thing here is, my cpu just doesn't have time to really rear it's might when Folding these and the time difference between the various classes of CPU is significantly smaller. On a "10 minute" WU an extra minute from one CPU to another is actually a lot. :) In perspective...

But on the whole... yes, I will agree with you, from SB to IB to Haswel, it hasn't been so much about raw performance gains as it has been about power usage, video capabilities and such...

Problem is not my formating - it's your theme - looks fine in others... All the txt coloring is set to automatic...

Yeah, I know. The formatting issue is weird for the unofficial Night Theme. Even if you set the font to automatic, if you don't Paste as Plain Text the entire thing, it won't adapt accordingly. It gets annoying. Oh well. This theme is nice, so I guess it has to have some drawback.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I would imagine if you have a half decent quad core than these work units will complete in the same time frame. My 3840QM is almost neck and neck with a stock 3770 in real world terms. I think the mobile CPUs have been making MUCH more headway in terms of performance per watt than any desktop CPUs. Just my opinion though

I would imagine if you have a half decent quad core than these work units will complete in the same time frame. My 3840QM is almost neck and neck with a stock 3770 in real world terms. I think the mobile CPUs have been making MUCH more headway in terms of performance per watt than any desktop CPUs. Just my opinion though

I agree. When a 2 year old laptop CPU and give chase to a modern top of the consumer line desktop CPU it gets interesting.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Time to put my 4770K to use, not like I'm gonna notice any increase in the power bill at this point anyway. 

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting