CPU Problems

My i5-7500 has been performing very poorly, it idles at 60C and 40% load and bottlenecks so hard in some games discord and spotify will stop working. I've got a 1440p display and a 2070 SUPER with 16GB DDR4. Is the CPU just outdated or is it somthing else.

5 minutes ago, Ryaslin said:

My i5-7500 has been performing very poorly, it idles at 60C and 40% load and bottlenecks so hard in some games discord and spotify will stop working. I've got a 1440p display and a 2070 SUPER with 16GB DDR4. Is the CPU just outdated or is it somthing else.

Those idle temps don't sound right. Bottleneck, it would but not to the point that Discord and Spotify would stop working. I suspect there's something funny going on with your Windows installation like a virus infection or something. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Those idle temps don't sound right. Bottleneck, it would but not to the point that Discord and Spotify would stop working. I suspect there's something funny going on with your Windows installation like a virus infection or something. 

I have Malwarebytes Premium that does daily scans so I shouldn't be something like that.

Could it be the cooling?
Have you checked it's still mounted correctly? If it's the Intel standard mount, they sometimes falls out in one corner... Or maybe the thermal paste ned a change?
Alternatively, if it's a AIO, how old is it? Could it have disapporated too much liquid and have "gone dry"? 

1 minute ago, Kasper_MC said:

Could it be the cooling?
Have you checked it's still mounted correctly? If it's the Intel standard mount, they sometimes falls out in one corner... Or maybe the thermal paste ned a change?
Alternatively, if it's a AIO, how old is it? Could it have disapporated too much liquid and have "gone dry"? 

It's a stock cooler, I can check the mount but I don't know much about coolers as my cousin helped my build my PC.

3 minutes ago, Ryaslin said:

I have Malwarebytes Premium that does daily scans so I shouldn't be something like that.

Close all your background programs, including that; see what changes.

What cooler are you using, and have you only applied thermal paste when you first installed it?

1 minute ago, Boomy Beatle said:

Close all your background programs, including that; see what changes.

What cooler are you using, and have you only applied thermal paste when you first installed it?

Yeah my cousin built the PC early 2018 so it would've been done then.

12 minutes ago, Ryaslin said:

some games discord and spotify will stop working.

Define stops working please? 

Is the memory running as hot as the Cpu? 

How's the case's air flow?

Just now, Ryaslin said:

Yeah my cousin built the PC early 2018 so it would've been done then.

If it's the stock cooler and it's been over two years, I would definitely recommend cleaning off the old thermal paste and applying some newer stuff. Arctic Silver 5, Arctic MX-4, and Noctua NT-H1 are popular choices and only a few bucks per tube.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Define stops working please? 

Is the memory running as hot as the Cpu? 

How's the case's air flow?

Music and voice chat freezes, I can't hear anything except the game and they cant hear me.

I don't know how too check RAM Temps.

I have one out fan on the back, I was given more fans but they were too big for my case so I never installed them.

7 minutes ago, Boomy Beatle said:

If it's the stock cooler and it's been over two years, I would definitely recommend cleaning off the old thermal paste and applying some newer stuff. Arctic Silver 5, Arctic MX-4, and Noctua NT-H1 are popular choices and only a few bucks per tube.

It is the stock cooler, the closest place that would sell thermal paste is 5 hours away so is there anything else I can do?

4 minutes ago, Ryaslin said:

Music and voice chat freezes, I can't hear anything except the game and they cant hear me.

I don't know how too check RAM Temps.

I have one out fan on the back, I was given more fans but they were too big for my case so I never installed them.

You can use a program called HWInfo64 for temps, sensor only.

Or if your memory doesn't have sensors, just touch it. 

Probably would be a good idea to add some case fans I think. Gotta have some fresh air forced in.

But the issue may not be temps unless the Cpu is running 100c when all this is happening or the memory is hot to the touch, 70c would be too hot. 

Do you let the program hang until windows tells you the program stopped working or does it close by it's self?

3 minutes ago, Ryaslin said:

It is the stock cooler, the closest place that would sell thermal paste is 5 hours away so is there anything else I can do?

If you can wait, order some off Amazon.

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You can use a program called HWInfo64 for temps, sensor only.

Or if your memory doesn't have sensors, just touch it. 

Probably would be a good idea to add some case fans I think. Gotta have some fresh air forced in.

But the issue may not be temps unless the Cpu is running 100c when all this is happening or the memory is hot to the touch, 70c would be too hot. 

Do you let the program hang until windows tells you the program stopped working or does it close by it's self?

If it happens I either close the game or leave voice chat and pause Spotify.

4 minutes ago, Boomy Beatle said:

If you can wait, order some off Amazon.

I'm moving soon so with covid delays it may not arrive in time. Anything else I can do?

Just now, Ryaslin said:

I'm moving soon so with covid delays it may not arrive in time. Anything else I can do?

At that point, if it doesn't end up being a software problem, talk to whoever you can locally for help. You never know, a friend may have some thermal paste laying around. Otherwise, if I were in your shoes, I'd try to deal with it and wait to order some online.

8 minutes ago, Ryaslin said:

If you can see the cooler haning loose in there in one or more of the corners, there's your trouble - or if the fan on the stock cooler has stopped working - something like that. 
If not, yeah, order some new thermalpaste online, maybe just a Hyper212 or something relatively cheap - that's a better cooler and comes with thermal paste on it... 

I could be other than direct thermals... If you look in task manager or HWinfo64 or some other program to monitor hardware: is it truely idle? Or is it running something in the background, taking up ressources? How many % is the occupation on the cores? And is it running at spec in terms of clockspeed?