Noisy fans

Go to solution Solved by Bwithnewcast,
On 10/11/2020 at 3:58 PM, bowrilla said:

Well those temps are perfectly fine and it is to expected that you push your AiO to the max. The noise is on the noisy fans. As I said, those aren't particularly great and Corsair has a reputation for more noisy fans. There are no really great RGB static pressure fans. You'd probably be better off with the Phanteks Halos RGB frames on better non-RGB fans.

Okay, so what i found out is the fans are a little loud yes but i can live with that, but what i can't live with is that the radiator for my AIO is around 1/2 to 3/4 full

In my setup i have 6 fans. All controlled by a corsair commander pro. All the fans are corsiar sp120's

3 of the fans are in the front with a 360 mm aio cooler (fractal design celsius s36)

Currently i am running a ryzen 3600x cpu with a power limiter at 85 watts but the fans are screaming and the cpu is hot. about 80 degrees celcius in heavy applications. Anyone knows what to do?

The fan noise starts around 1300 rpm and is really loud at 1600 rpm

Is there a silent configuration you can use in the software?

Plus you're chip is going as high as 80C so it will automatically run the fans as fast as possible to help get all that heat out.

1 minute ago, EridanusSV said:

Is there a silent configuration you can use in the software?

Plus you're chip is going as high as 80C so it will automatically run the fans as fast as possible to help get all that heat out.

Can it be air in the radiator? The radiator is not hot but the cpu is

11 minutes ago, EridanusSV said:

Could you take a pic of your PC layout?

121233639_364165894633317_1228947603447331467_n.jpg.c8faa255ed4cb343babbfb136cee3c3d.jpg

Sorry for low res

I forgot to mention the fans are 3 pins dc fans, And maybe that could be a noise source

You have a fractal aio. Correct?

No fan are connected to the aio. All fans are connected to the CCP. Correct?

What header is the aio connected to?

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

You have a fractal aio. Correct?

No fan are connected to the aio. All fans are connected to the CCP. Correct?

What header is the aio connected to?

The fans are conencted to the corsair hub and is refrenced off the cpu temp and the aio is connected to the aio header on the motherboard

Did you check your block mount? Bad mount could explain high CPU temps, low radiator/coolant temps and high reving fans.

Also your radiator mount is not good, since the terminals on the radiator are well above those on the block/pump. Since you have a long GPU, have you tried mounting it on the top (if possible with a 360 radiator)? With the mount as it is, you will end up with a) potentially more noise b) potentially shorter lifespan of your pump.

What case is this? How restrictive is the front? 

The SP120 fans aren't particularly quiet fans (just like all Corsair fans).

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 minute ago, bowrilla said:

Did you check your block mount? Bad mount could explain high CPU temps, low radiator/coolant temps and high reving fans.

Also your radiator mount is not good, since the terminals on the radiator are well above those on the block/pump. Since you have a long GPU, have you tried mounting it on the top (if possible with a 360 radiator)? With the mount as it is, you will end up with a) potentially more noise b) potentially shorter lifespan of your pump.

What case is this? How restrictive is the front? 

The SP120 fans aren't particularly quiet fans (just like all Corsair fans).

The case is a corsair crystal 460x and it's not possible to mount it at the top, recently checked and applied new thermal paste (artic mx-2 and the temprature went down and it was more silent

39 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

The case is a corsair crystal 460x and it's not possible to mount it at the top, recently checked and applied new thermal paste (artic mx-2 and the temprature went down and it was more silent

That case has a pretty restrictive front because of the glas panel. Have you tried taking that panel of for testing purposes? If temps improve it's your case. The Fans certainly won't help both performance and noise wise. The gold standard for 120mm radiator fans are the Noctua NF-A12 fans. Doesn't get better than those. Other good choices come from Arctic and Noiseblocker.

EDIT: I've meant the NF-F12 as the gold standard, though the NF-A12 are also good.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

10 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

That case has a pretty restrictive front because of the glas panel. Have you tried taking that panel of for testing purposes? If temps improve it's your case. The Fans certainly won't help both performance and noise wise. The gold standard for 120mm radiator fans are the Noctua NF-A12 fans. Doesn't get better than those. Other good choices come from Arctic and Noiseblocker.

Trying to run without frontpanel right now, is the 4 pin corsair fans silenter?

1 minute ago, Bwithnewcast said:

Trying to run without frontpanel right now, is the 4 pin corsair fans silenter?

Probably not by a margin you'd be happy to spend 80 bucks on. All corsair fans have a reputation of being noisier. 4 pin means they are controlled via PWM signal, 3 pin means they are voltage regulated. Both can be controlled though. The ML fans have the best bearing and a very large rev range. Your SP120 fans have a max rpm of 1400 and a max noise level of 26dB(A). The ML120 Pro are PWM controlled with a rpm range of 400-1600 and a max noise level of 25dB(A). So at the same speed they will be noticeably quieter but not super quiet (+3dB difference means double the loudness). Those fans also cost almost double.

16 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Probably not by a margin you'd be happy to spend 80 bucks on. All corsair fans have a reputation of being noisier. 4 pin means they are controlled via PWM signal, 3 pin means they are voltage regulated. Both can be controlled though. The ML fans have the best bearing and a very large rev range. Your SP120 fans have a max rpm of 1400 and a max noise level of 26dB(A). The ML120 Pro are PWM controlled with a rpm range of 400-1600 and a max noise level of 25dB(A). So at the same speed they will be noticeably quieter but not super quiet (+3dB difference means double the loudness). Those fans also cost almost double.

It isn't quieter without the frontpanel and side panel and at idle the temp is 50 celcius so i don't really understand why and the noise level is around 45 dB

Well, Zen2 is known for running hot. I know for a fact that a friend of mine has a 3900X on a custom loop and he's idling at ~40°C. Overall idle temps don't mean anything though, it's onle the max temps that are of interest. I would not be concerned about idle temps in the mid to high 40s, although 50s are a bit high. Where do you end up with Prime95? I suppose still in the mid to high 80s - which is to be expected. 

Since we do not know what kind of fan curves you've set for your fans and wether you have a good mount or not it's a lot of guess work. The fans are noisy and not the best, the Corsair Commander introduces more variables. Assuming the mount is good the way you've orientated the radiator you will probably shorten the lifespan of the pump and it might lead to some noise (probably more like gurgling though). It's also possible that the cold plate is not ideal for Ryzen because of its chiplet architecture. If the fins aren't above the right area on the IHS you will have less efficient heat transfer (another point about the mount: you need a good spread ideally right into the corners).

5 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Well, Zen2 is known for running hot. I know for a fact that a friend of mine has a 3900X on a custom loop and he's idling at ~40°C. Overall idle temps don't mean anything though, it's onle the max temps that are of interest. I would not be concerned about idle temps in the mid to high 40s, although 50s are a bit high. Where do you end up with Prime95? I suppose still in the mid to high 80s - which is to be expected. 

Since we do not know what kind of fan curves you've set for your fans and wether you have a good mount or not it's a lot of guess work. The fans are noisy and not the best, the Corsair Commander introduces more variables. Assuming the mount is good the way you've orientated the radiator you will probably shorten the lifespan of the pump and it might lead to some noise (probably more like gurgling though). It's also possible that the cold plate is not ideal for Ryzen because of its chiplet architecture. If the fins aren't above the right area on the IHS you will have less efficient heat transfer (another point about the mount: you need a good spread ideally right into the corners).

In prime95 i am running 79 celcius with the fans at 1500 rpms... It's also around 55 dB -.-

Just now, Bwithnewcast said:

In prime95 i am running 79 celcius with the fans at 1500 rpms... It's also around 55 dB -.-

Well those temps are perfectly fine and it is to expected that you push your AiO to the max. The noise is on the noisy fans. As I said, those aren't particularly great and Corsair has a reputation for more noisy fans. There are no really great RGB static pressure fans. You'd probably be better off with the Phanteks Halos RGB frames on better non-RGB fans.

On 10/11/2020 at 3:58 PM, bowrilla said:

Okay, so what i found out is the fans are a little loud yes but i can live with that, but what i can't live with is that the radiator for my AIO is around 1/2 to 3/4 full

3 hours ago, Bwithnewcast said:

but what i can't live with is that the radiator for my AIO is around 1/2 to 3/4 full

You mean the coolant? It will never be 100% full because of production tolerances and leaving a bit more room for expansion under higher temps. It is also not 100% air tight (almost nothing really is, not even the ISS without the current leak) so over time you will lose coolant through evaporation. The loop is water tight but certain gases can pass through certain materials.

I wonder how you figured out that you only have 50 to 75% coolant though. There is no way of knowing without a) very precise scales and exact knowledge of both empty weight of the AiO and the chemical mix in the coolant b) draining it and measuring it or c) a built in measuring device (which would need to take orientation into account). So I guess you made a guess?

Less coolant obviously can (but not necessarily) lead to less surface in the rad coming into contact with the coolant which then can have an impact. Less coolant can also lead to more noise (gurgling, burbling and rippling noises) and pumps running dry (this is why your pump should never be above the fittings on the rad). 

1 hour ago, bowrilla said:

You mean the coolant? It will never be 100% full because of production tolerances and leaving a bit more room for expansion under higher temps. It is also not 100% air tight (almost nothing really is, not even the ISS without the current leak) so over time you will lose coolant through evaporation. The loop is water tight but certain gases can pass through certain materials.

this not correct. expansion was a theory of the pass, the water just isn't getting hot enough to evaporation to cause expansion. Second you don't lose coolant through evaporation you lose coolant permeation. This happens from the coolant passing through the tubes. 

ps

i have personally refilled a h100i v2 to 99%. i have zero issues.

2 hours ago, bowrilla said:

I wonder how you figured out that you only have 50 to 75% coolant though. There is no way of knowing without a) very precise scales and exact knowledge of both empty weight of the AiO and the chemical mix in the coolant b) draining it and measuring it or c) a built in measuring device (which would need to take orientation into account). So I guess you made a guess?

actually sound is a very good estimating tool. you could also use weight.

th OP's AIO is designed to be  capable of  being expandable and uses standard fittings. so refilling would not be hard nor would adding a res.

3 hours ago, narrdarr said:

this not correct. expansion was a theory of the pass, the water just isn't getting hot enough to evaporation to cause expansion. Second you don't lose coolant through evaporation you lose coolant permeation. This happens from the coolant passing through the tubes. 

ps

i have personally refilled a h100i v2 to 99%. i have zero issues.

actually sound is a very good estimating tool. you could also use weight.

th OP's AIO is designed to be  capable of  being expandable and uses standard fittings. so refilling would not be hard nor would adding a res.

I have heard with fractal deisign and see what they say

5 hours ago, narrdarr said:

expansion was a theory of the pass, the water just isn't getting hot enough to evaporation to cause expansion

The density changes with increasing/decreasing temperature. Evaporation happens without reaching the point of boiling. Might be though that the actual effect on the cooler is marginal to irrelevant. I'm not involved with the construction of these things and just repeated official statements. They might be PR so fair point.

5 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Second you don't lose coolant through evaporation you lose coolant permeation.

That was actually what I've meant. Was lying in bed and trying to fall asleep. My bad. Does it need to be gaseous or can it permeate in liquid form if I may ask?

6 hours ago, narrdarr said:

actually sound is a very good estimating tool.

How? You'd need a reference just like with weight. No reference means guess work.

37 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

The density changes with increasing/decreasing temperature. Evaporation happens without reaching the point of boiling. Might be though that the actual effect on the cooler is marginal to irrelevant. I'm not involved with the construction of these things and just repeated official statements. They might be PR so fair point.

That was actually what I've meant. Was lying in bed and trying to fall asleep. My bad. Does it need to be gaseous or can it permeate in liquid form if I may ask?

How? You'd need a reference just like with weight. No reference means guess work.

When you shake it around you can generally hear where it is and feel it too. But it should be almost/full think i will leave aio and make a custom loop

7 hours ago, bowrilla said:

Liquids, gases, and vapors can on permeate.

it just PR to justify QC and saving cost on liquid. A more justifiable reason would pressure changes do to attitude changes in shipping. 

You could test the sound theory.

Fill a blackout 5 gallon bucket with water half way another full. Both with lids. Shake them for someone. See if that person can guess which is full which is not.

7 hours ago, Bwithnewcast said:

When you shake it around you can generally hear where it is and feel it too. But it should be almost/full think i will leave aio and make a custom loop

If cost is an issue. You could just add a res to your aio. 

Just now, narrdarr said:

Fill a blackout 5 gallon bucket with water half way another full. Both with lids. Shake them for someone. See if that person can guess which is full which is not.

Not arguing that people can tell which is more full or which is full and which isn't. The correct analogy would be though: tage a gallon and fill it to the 80% mark, close it up, shake it and expect people to guess how much is in there. You can't know, it's a wild guess becuase you have no reference. You only know it's less than 100% because of the sound and probably also know it's significantly more than 0-1%.

That was my point.

On 10/14/2020 at 7:34 PM, bowrilla said:

Not arguing that people can tell which is more full or which is full and which isn't. The correct analogy would be though: tage a gallon and fill it to the 80% mark, close it up, shake it and expect people to guess how much is in there. You can't know, it's a wild guess becuase you have no reference. You only know it's less than 100% because of the sound and probably also know it's significantly more than 0-1%.

That was my point.

It does not matter, i am getting a replacement unit