Make system drives sleep by default

Borgus Bohr

My boot drive is a ssd, and I have a storage HDD inside my case that I rarely use. Is there a way to make that HDD sleep by default and prevent it from turning on unless I manualy access it? I currently have the HDD sleep setting set to sleep after 5min of not using it, but its constantly waking up randomly. My goal is to make my machine more silent.

Thanks for your help :)

13 minutes ago, Borgus Bohr said:

My boot drive is a ssd, and I have a storage HDD inside my case that I rarely use. Is there a way to make that HDD sleep by default and prevent it from turning on unless I manualy access it? I currently have the HDD sleep setting set to sleep after 5min of not using it, but its constantly waking up randomly. My goal is to make my machine more silent.

Thanks for your help :)

Not really. Windows will windows and randomly do things on it so will programs so there isn't much you can do about it.

Honestly you might have better acoustics if you set it to run 24/7. Personally I'd rather listen to a quiet hum that you get used to than a whiny spin-up noise every couple of minutes. 

Plus it's better for hard drive longevity. 

~Air Cooling Advocate~