CMOS battery problems

Ashhez
Go to solution Solved by PineyCreek,
7 minutes ago, Ashhez said:

ive been looking into this but i have no clue exactly what im looking for. Is it some special battery or is it just on of those normal coin batteries?

It's usually a CR2032 battery...though if it's the one that came with your motherboard as new I wouldn't suspect it as much considering they last for years normally.

It's just a clip in holder, or at least it has been for the past decade plus.  If you pay someone to do this for you you shouldn't be building your own computer.

I STRONGLY doubt it's the battery.  Feel free to take it out and test it with a $3 battery tester though.

Hi, ive had my build for a round 5 months now. specs are r9  3900x , 2080 super, 64gb of trident z royal @3600 aorus x570 master, corsair rm850x. Every once and a while between 1-3 weeks my pc will not boot till the cmos battery is removed, power button is held for 15 seconds and battery is put back in. At first this was really scary and I didn't know what to do but now its really starting to piss me off. Is this something replacing the battery will fix or is this the mobo? I changed the erp settings so that it would consume less than one watt while powered off to hopefully fix this problem but it did not work. Any tips or ideas will help. Thanks!

yeah same for me its the precision boost overdrive stuff in the BIOS that does it. I turn it to disabled and never happened again. It was very annoying and I almost did an RMA. I have a 3900x and an asus x570-F

It just pushes the CPU too far and fucks stuff up untill CMOS wipe. 

I was this close of sending my Corsair 850W to get it replaced. I was having the exact same issues as you've mentioned above. I've done everything: messing with the RAM sticks, changing GPU from one slot to another, re-routing the entire PC cables and updating BIOS.

I've noticed that If I remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard the computer would not start. It didn't make any sense because the battery is only supposed to keep the BIOS data when the computer is turned off. The computer should have booted but it didn't.

I've bought a brand new battery and replaced the dying one. The computer now works like charm. All of the issues I've had before were all fixed. I suggest that you replace the CMOS battery with a new one.

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

3 minutes ago, CouRageRC said:

I was this close of sending my Corsair 850W to get it replaced. I was having the exact same issues as you've mentioned above. I've done everything: messing with the RAM sticks, changing GPU from one slot to another, re-routing the entire PC cables and updating BIOS.

I've noticed that If I remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard the computer would not start. It didn't make any sense because the battery is only supposed to keep the BIOS data when the computer is turned off. The computer should have booted but it didn't.

I've bought a brand new battery and replaced the dying one. The computer now works like charm. All of the issues I've had before were all fixed. I suggest that you replace the CMOS battery with a new one.

ive been looking into this but i have no clue exactly what im looking for. Is it some special battery or is it just on of those normal coin batteries?

It is the normal coin battery, and replacing it shouldn't be a major issue. Are you planning at changing it yourself or are you going to get it done by the servicer?

Also, here's a helpful tip i found handy,

Unfortunately, most manufacturers do not list the exact type and model of the CMOS battery. Once you have located the battery, I recommend you write down its specifications (voltage, chemistry, wiring). If possible, remove the battery and take it to a retail location.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

7 minutes ago, Ashhez said:

It's usually a CR2032 battery...though if it's the one that came with your motherboard as new I wouldn't suspect it as much considering they last for years normally.

It's just a clip in holder, or at least it has been for the past decade plus.  If you pay someone to do this for you you shouldn't be building your own computer.

I STRONGLY doubt it's the battery.  Feel free to take it out and test it with a $3 battery tester though.

Just now, CouRageRC said:

It is the normal coin battery, and replacing it shouldn't be a major issue. Are you planning at changing it yourself or are you going to get it done by the servicer?

Also, here's a helpful tip i found handy,

Unfortunately, most manufacturers do not list the exact type and model of the CMOS battery. Once you have located the battery, I recommend you write down its specifications (voltage, chemistry, wiring). If possible, remove the battery and take it to a retail location.

im going to do it myself, ill shoot aorus an email and ask them to clarify before i decide which one to buy.

1 minute ago, Ashhez said:

im going to do it myself, ill shoot aorus an email and ask them to clarify before i decide which one to buy.

Yeap that sounds good, and because you're doing it yourself, i recommend you check out this video:

it helped me out so good luck! 

6 minutes ago, Ashhez said:

Or just look at the manual on page 36: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-aorus-master_1101_200916_e.pdf

I've never seen a CMOS battery that wasn't CR2032 in a desktop machine...also multiple consoles with CMOS backup (ex. Sega Saturn).

Although I can't remember what was in my 286 and 386 machines, etc.

This battery is not even being used unless the power cord is unplugged or there is a power outage. Also, a cr2025 can be used too, it's just a bit thinner.

5 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

This battery is not even being used unless the power cord is unplugged or there is a power outage. Also, a cr2025 can be used too, it's just a bit thinner.

https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Lithium-Battery-Bitter-Coating/dp/B07GN8ZYZR/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=fnM3egVJPDbU8Ulq89asyw&hsa_cr_id=3896738230901&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1 

can i get this? or should it be the same brand that's already in there 

@CouRageRC

@PineyCreek

31 minutes ago, CouRageRC said:

Yeap that sounds good, and because you're doing it yourself, i recommend you check out this video:

it helped me out so good luck! 

29 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Or just look at the manual on page 36: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-aorus-master_1101_200916_e.pdf

I've never seen a CMOS battery that wasn't CR2032 in a desktop machine...also multiple consoles with CMOS backup (ex. Sega Saturn).

Although I can't remember what was in my 286 and 386 machines, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Lithium-Battery-Bitter-Coating/dp/B07GN8ZYZR/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=fnM3egVJPDbU8Ulq89asyw&hsa_cr_id=3896738230901&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1

does this look good? should i stick with the brand thats already in the mobo?

Just now, LWM723 said:

That is perfect. Brand does'nt matter just the number. You can usually find these locally they're quite common.

thank you! huge help I appreciate it.

1 minute ago, Ashhez said:

This is perfect. The brands on the motherboards don't matter as generally they're partnerships b'ween 2 companies. Duracell is an excellent brand so this should work perfectly.

Just now, CouRageRC said:

This is perfect. The brands on the motherboards don't matter as generally they're partnerships b'ween 2 companies. Duracell is an excellent brand so this should work perfectly.

thanks a ton!

5 minutes ago, Ashhez said:

That's fine.  These are common coin cells.  You can find them at most stores in the battery section. Brand usually doesn't matter, but as my personal opinion I wouldn't get a brand you've never heard of before without looking them up first (just as a general rule...yes, I know Duracell).  I like to go with a brand I trust for anything I really care about...but it probably won't matter.

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, Ashhez said:

Out with the old in with the new! Thanks again guys!! @PineyCreek @CouRageRC @LWM723

that's great! you're welcome!! :D