Is my GPU dying (RX 570 4 GB)?

joser1813
Go to solution Solved by joser1813,

Update on the situation: it seems to be a driver issue. I did a clean install of the latest recommended driver 20.9.1 using DDU to uninstall the problematic driver 20.9.2 (this driver was a beta or optional one). Performance of the card improved somehow.

Look at the image attached. This has happened to me twice, once when starting Dota 2 and the other when starting the system. I'm on the latest 20.9.2 AMD recommended driver. After an apparent driver crash, I waited to see what would happen and the system restarted itself. I have an RX 570 4 GB from MSI

photo5174869098834798753.jpg

3 minutes ago, joser1813 said:

Look at the image attached. This has happened to my twice, once when starting Dota 2 and the other when starting the system. I'm on the latest 20.9.2 AMD recommended driver. After an apparent driver crash, I waited to see what would happen and the system restarted itself. I have an RX 570 4 GB from MSI

It does look like the memory chips are dying, but this won't be the first time an AMD driver caused these type of artifacts to occur, have you tried reverting to an older driver?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

3 minutes ago, Syn. said:

It does look like the memory chips are dying, but this won't be the first time an AMD driver caused these type of artifacts to occur, have you tried reverting to an older driver?

Searching in Google a little bit, it seems that it might be an issue related to the latest driver. There are 2 stories of people with the same issue or a very similar one, on Polaris GPUs.

I have overclocked my GPU on a profile for certain demanding games: 1420 MHz on the core and 2100 MHz on the memory. The thing is, that I practically never use those settings, cuz my most played game is Dota 2, in which I don't need the OC at all. Could it be that the memory overheated when overclocking?

5 minutes ago, joser1813 said:

I have overclocked my GPU on a profile for certain demanding games: 1420 MHz on the core and 2100 MHz on the memory. The thing is, that I practically never use those settings, cuz my most played game is Dota 2, in which I don't need the OC at all. Could it be that the memory overheated when overclocking?

It's possible it overheated or it's unstable but when troubleshooting any system component it's always preferred to revert overclock settings to ensure that it's not user error, an unstable overclock could easily cause those artifacts to appear

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

21 minutes ago, joser1813 said:

Searching in Google a little bit, it seems that it might be an issue related to the latest driver. There are 2 stories of people with the same issue or a very similar one, on Polaris GPUs.

-deleted-

misread post.

Edited by Bombastinator
Derp

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Syn. said:

It's possible it overheated or it's unstable but when troubleshooting any system component it's always preferred to revert overclock settings to ensure that it's not user error, an unstable overclock could easily cause those artifacts to appear

20.9.2 was an optional driver. I just used DDU and installed the last known stable driver (20.9.1). Lets see what happens. 

I wish AMD fixed their drivers for once, lets hope that was the cause. 

About OC settings, I never use them, I only made 1 profile for Horizon Zero Dawn and played some hours but that was it. 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Not seeing visual pin damage, but if you wanted to run a pink pearl type eraser over them it might not hurt anything.

That's not my card, it's another person post with a similar issue this week

Just now, joser1813 said:

Yeah I got that seconds after posting :/  sorry.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 10/5/2020 at 4:20 AM, joser1813 said:

i'm pretty sure it is the drivers.

i had a windows update and also used amdcleanuputility to delete all drivers and also got rid of the amd chipset drivers and no crashes or artifacts for the last 2-3 days.

any why i replaced that card and got my new one and so far no crashes or artifacts! 

so im pretty sure it was amd drivers or someting with windows itself.

hope the problem as gone for you also! 

Update on the situation: it seems to be a driver issue. I did a clean install of the latest recommended driver 20.9.1 using DDU to uninstall the problematic driver 20.9.2 (this driver was a beta or optional one). Performance of the card improved somehow.