How do you remove/apply a heatsink backplate?

I'm trying to put my CPU heatsink on another motherboard, but it only connects to the motherboard with the heatsink backplate. Can anyone with knowledge on this provide a complete description on how to remove/apply a heatsink backplate? Thanks.

each back plate for every coolers different do you still have the manual for the old one there should be a guide there on how to remove it 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

The back plate should have screws or something to hold the back plate in when the heatsink is removed.

My suggestion is to youtube the install method of your exact heatsink and reverse the process.

If you're using socket 2011 then you can't remove the backplate.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

The back plate should have screws or something to hold the back plate in when the heatsink is removed.

My suggestion is to youtube the install method of your exact heatsink and reverse the process.

If you're using socket 1366 or 2011 then you can't remove the backplate.

I have an LGA 1155 socket, I took out the screws but I don't know how to actually take off the backplate without damaging it, and I do not know how to apply it on another mobo.

I have an LGA 1155 socket, I took out the screws but I don't know how to actually take off the backplate without damaging it, and I do not know how to apply it on another mobo.

Could you upload some pics of both sides so we can have a look.

There maybe double sided adhesive between backplate and motherboard.

Sometimes there's little grooves on the backplate where the holes are making it stuck.

Don't be afriad of using some pressure. As long as you don't scrape chips or bits of metal off you should be fine.

Edit: I may not reply for a few hours, gotta go back to work.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Sometimes there's little grooves on the backplate where the holes are making it stuck.

Don't be afriad of using some pressure. As long as you don't scrape chips or bits of metal off you should be fine.

Edit: I may not reply for a few hours, gotta go back to wI'll p

I'll provide some pictures, it'll take a moment.

(Old mobo socket)

2014 03 09 092706

(Old mobo backplate)

2014 03 09 092633

( Old mobo backplate side view)

2014 03 09 092821

(New mobo socket)

2014 03 09 092803

(New mobo back view)

2014 03 09 092748

The green motherboard is the one I'm trying to take the backplate off of, and the brown motherboard is the one I'm going to apply the backplate to if possible.

@KingChaos913

The white squares don't look like they're part of the motherboard. But ignoring that for now...

As you can see from the 1st photo, there are silver knobs (that have threads in them) that are going through the motherboard holes.

I have a feeling it's a tight fit which is making it hard to take it off.

Here's an example of what those silver things look like.

CPU-Socket-LGA-775-font-b-Motherboard-b-

Now... I think when that heatsink was installed, someone put those white squares on all the holes. This is possibly to protects the motherboard from making contact with metal parts in that area (or scratching).

If you have a fine edged knife (preferably not serrated) try and slip it underneath the bracket in one of the corners.

Gently twist the knife left and right to see if you can rise the backplate knob out of the hole.

Doing this won't put any stress on your motherboard unlike just trying to yank it out with your fingers.

Rotate around to each hole to make it easier.

Note: motherboard PCBs are fairly strong so you shouldn't worry too much about flexing it or snapping it.

@KingChaos913

The white squares don't look like they're part of the motherboard. But ignoring that for now...

As you can see from the 1st photo, there are silver knobs (that have threads in them) that are going through the motherboard holes.

I have a feeling it's a tight fit which is making it hard to take it off.

Here's an example of what those silver things look like.

CPU-Socket-LGA-775-font-b-Motherboard-b-

Now... I think when that heatsink was installed, someone put those white squares on all the holes. This is possibly to protects the motherboard from making contact with metal parts in that area (or scratching).

If you have a fine edged knife (preferably not serrated) try and slip it underneath the bracket in one of the corners.

Gently twist the knife left and right to see if you can rise the backplate knob out of the hole.

Doing this won't put any stress on your motherboard unlike just trying to yank it out with your fingers.

Rotate around to each hole to make it easier.

Note: motherboard PCBs are fairly strong so you shouldn't worry too much about flexing it or snapping it.

Before you replied, I managed to get the backplate off, but the one side of the double sided adhesive tape is still stuck to the back of the motherboard and the other is still on the backplate. My problem now is the black piece on the back of the new mobo (Can I take it off so the silver knobs are able to go into the new mobo's holes further?)

Before you replied, I managed to get the backplate off, but the one side of the double sided adhesive tape is still stuck to the back of the motherboard and the other is still on the backplate. My problem now is the black piece on the back of the new mobo (Can I take it off so the silver knobs are able to go into the new mobo's holes further?)

Oh that's good :)

No you can't take off that black piece. It's holding the cpu socket brace thingy to the motherboard.

Is that new motherboard a different socket to the old one?

If it is then it would make sense because then you would need a different backplate for that socket and different faceplate etc (if you have the heatsink box it may have a different bracket included depending on heatsink's age)

No you can't take off that black piece. It's holding the cpu socket brace thingy to the motherboard.

If it is then it would make sense because then you would need a different backplate for that socket and different faceplate etc (if you have the heatsink box it may have a different bracket included depending on heatsink's age)

The new mobo is an socket LGA 1155, which is what I need for my processor. And I was asking if I can take off the black piece because I can use the screws that are screwed in, and screw them into the backplate which has 3 holes that they would fit into, like the old mobo. (Note my second picture and that the backplate has three holes, other than the 4 that it already has)

What I'm saying is, if I can take the black piece off, I might be able to screw the socket brace into the backplate and hold them both together, similar to the old mobo.

The new mobo is an socket LGA 1155, which is what I need for my processor. And I was asking if I can take off the black piece because I can use the screws that are screwed in, and screw them into the backplate which has 3 holes that they would fit into, like the old mobo. (Note my second picture and that the backplate has three holes, other than the 4 that it already has)

OHHH.... I see it.

Yeah I guess you do unscrew that black backplate then.

Sorry, I'm used to 2011 where the backplate is built into each motherboard and you can't remove it.

What I'm saying is, if I can take the black piece off, I might be able to screw the socket brace into the backplate and hold them both together, similar to the old mobo.

This will only be a temporary fix until I am able to get a new heatsink.

OHHH.... I see it.

Yeah I guess you do unscrew that black backplate then.

Sorry, I'm used to 2011 where the backplate is built into each motherboard and you can't remove it.

So do you see what I'm asking? The backplate and heatsink won't be able to connect to each other with that black piece there. Will there be any problem with this?

So do you see what I'm asking? The backplate and heatsink won't be able to connect to each other with that black piece there. Will there be any problem with this?

Yep I see what you're asking. Should be fine. Your old backplate is designed to replace that black backplate because of the threaded holes in it match up with the black one.

And it doesn't make sense for that particular backplate to be put over the top of the black one.

Hold on, are those holes in your old backplate threaded?

Yep I see what you're asking. Should be fine. Your old backplate is designed to replace that black backplate because of the threaded holes in it match up with the black one.

And it doesn't make sense for that particular backplate to be put over the top of the black one.

Sweet, I'll try it out. If I run into any more problems I'll let you know!

Hold on, are those holes in your old backplate threaded?

Yeah, it seems like I can screw them into the backplate, if you call that threaded, then yes I believe so.

Yeah, it seems like I can screw them into the backplate, if you call that threaded, then yes I believe so.

Ok sweet, because if they're just normal holes with no screwy thread then obviously it wouldn't hold down the cpu retention thing on the other side.

Ok sweet, because if they're just normal holes with no screwy thread then obviously it wouldn't hold down the cpu retention thing on the other side.

Nice! So everything went well and the backplate is on and the heatsink is screwed in. The whole thing was that I am moving all my old components including my new motherboard that I haven't used, from one tower to a new one. Now I just have to see if my PC works. xD

Nice! So everything went well and the backplate is on and the heatsink is screwed in. The whole thing was that I am moving all my old components including my new motherboard that I haven't used, from one tower to a new one. Now I just have to see if my PC works. xD

Sweet! That's good to hear that everything went well.

Sorry for the late reply, I fell asleep (it was almost 5am)