Odd issue with nvidia display resolution when running 240hz monitor at 60hz.

nelska

So when I try and play csgo at 1280x960 with Black Bars on a 1920x1080 240hz monitor it runs just fine with aspect ratio and all that set to default. But if I'm not running the refresh rate of the monitor at 240hz it stretches the resolution of the game and I no longer get 4:3 black bars. The only way to change that is to perform the scaling on GPU instead of display.. Can anyone explain this? It's not a huge issue but I've heard that changing that from display to GPU causes latency issues.. So now I'm stuck between playing at 240hz or using my GPU to perform the scaling. Which is an oddball trade off to begin with.. and btw, don't ask why I don't just play the game at 240hz.. lulz. I do, I just sometimes like to balance thing's out a bit. This is all a bit confusing but does anyone know as to of why this is the case, exactly? Thanks. If there's anything I'm missing or if this doesn't ring a bell or make any sense please go ahead and ask away! (TLDR: aspect ratio scaling mode fails when 240hz monitor is set to 60hz).

Probably something to do with your display driver based on your diagnosis

Not sure if there's a fix for that if that's the case

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Probably something to do with your display driver based on your diagnosis

Not sure if there's a fix for that if that's the case

best I can find online is it's just best to either play it at 240hz where it'll maintain aspect ratio on it's own or play it stretched at 60hz.. I can't really tell ya which one work's best atm cuz I havn't tested it. But all I DO KNOW is using GPU scaling will cause some latency so it's best to do whatever display scaling allows it to. Pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my card in particular. I just think that's how these newer high refresh rate monitor's work. And probably why people are playing stretched screen as far as the pro csgo scene is concerned. thanks.

Just now, nelska said:

But all I DO KNOW is using GPU scaling will cause some latency

Never heard this one before, never tested it myself

I letterbox my game but only because it's a built in feature for the game (I think, never ran below 240)

Would you like me to test? See if it happens on my system

Never heard this one before, never tested it myself

I letterbox my game but only because it's a built in feature for the game (I think, never ran below 240)

Would you like me to test? See if it happens on my system

sure, if you know what I'm taking about it then give it a go at 60hz and lemme know if it happens to you.. I am going to try display scale but use the "override the scaling mode set by games and programs" tick and see if I can still get true 4:3 with blackbars without having to use my GPU to scale the resolution. EDIT: yeh the override does nothing. The only way I can get my display to render true 4:3 is at 240hz. Which to me, doesn't make any real sense as to why it doesn't juggle the same at a different refresh rate. who knows. EDIT2: even if i hit "no scaling" at 60hz it still stretches the resolution out. WHO KNOWS.

12 minutes ago, nelska said:

sure, if you know what I'm taking about it then give it a go at 60hz and lemme know if it happens to you..

so i tested it with CSGO

i adjusted it to 85Hz 1080p and entered the game (with nvidia control panel on 2nd screen)

in csgo, it auto jumps to the 4:3 reso and changes to 240Hz, but goes back to 1080p85 at desktop lol

Just now, Moonzy said:

so i tested it with CSGO

i adjusted it to 85Hz 1080p and entered the game (with nvidia control panel on 2nd screen)

in csgo, it auto jumps to the 4:3 reso and changes to 240Hz, but goes back to 1080p85 at desktop lol

yeh, it's total wackyness. I am currently playing it out at 60hz.. but it defaults the 4:3 to stretched resolution. So The refresh rate is adjustable and the resolution is stretched at the same time so its like whaaaaa. totally wacky.

Just now, nelska said:

yeh, it's total wackyness. I am currently playing it out at 60hz.. but it defaults the 4:3 to stretched resolution. So The refresh rate is adjustable and the resolution is stretched at the same time so its like whaaaaa. totally wacky.

ah i restarted the game, now it's stretched at 60hz, even though my desktop is 85hz, it all messed up lmao

Just now, Moonzy said:

ah i restarted the game, now it's stretched at 60hz, even though my desktop is 85hz, it all messed up lmao

see! exactly!.. I DONT KNOW WHY. cannot figure it out. you have to change it to GPU scaling if you mess with the refresh rate. with no explanation. where's our pros at!?

think it has to do with with the display's profiles, it has a few profile to choose from and the gpu/display just picks whatever is closest to what you want

wonder if you can turn off scaling on OSD

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

wonder if you can turn off scaling on OSD

yeap, i picked 1:1 scaling (basically dont stretch or scale)

it worked, csgo now letterboxed and runing at 60

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

yeap, i picked 1:1 scaling (basically dont stretch or scale)

it worked, csgo now letterboxed and runing at 60

uhh, if you can screenshot it and show me what your settings are cuz i dont quite understand.. you are playing with video set to fullscreen? EDIT: whats "letterbox"

Just now, nelska said:

uhh, if you can screenshot it and show me what your settings are cuz i dont quite understand.. you are playing with video set to fullscreen?

full screen

my monitor's setting (the buttons on monitor)

you can navigate the menu and choose what scaling you want it to perform, if it's supported

i have 3 mode, Full (it'll stretch and fill), 1:1 (follow exact pixel by pixel), Aspect (follow the aspect ratio and scale up until one axis reach the max of the display's)

Just now, Moonzy said:

full screen

my monitor's setting (the buttons on monitor)

you can navigate the menu and choose what scaling you want it to perform, if it's supported

i have 3 mode, Full (it'll stretch and fill), 1:1 (follow exact pixel by pixel), Aspect (follow the aspect ratio and scale up until one axis reach the max of the display's)

Nvidia? I have nvidia and tried all those they didn't work.. :/ maybe I'll restart and try again. Thanks!

Just now, nelska said:

Nvidia? I have nvidia and tried all those they didn't work.. :/ maybe I'll restart and try again. Thanks!

try tinker with your screen's OSD

i'll post a photo with my phone because cant capture OSD by print screening

yeh, I even tried launching it in windowed mode which comes out perfect 4:3 and switching it to fullscreen but that also stretches the resolution at 60hz WEIRD STUFF

1 minute ago, nelska said:

yeh, I even tried launching it in windowed mode which comes out perfect 4:3 and switching it to fullscreen but that also stretches the resolution at 60hz WEIRD STUFF

here ya go

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

here ya go

OMG, your sh*tting me. you hero! I do hope your video gets 5m views for your efforts lol!!!! gotta try and see if it works on my acer kq251g

EDIT: also heres how I just got it to work.. If you put it at 240hz and start the game itll Black bar and maintain the 4:3 scale. Minimize the game and change the refresh rate to 60 and itll stick. but once you restart the game itll reset to stretched resolution Going to try what you have done now! EDIT2: yup, this does it! Can't believe I didn't think of it but yes, by default the monitor itself is set to stretch the resolution.. I wonder why it is only at 60hz? who knows. nicely done tho! youve done great work here today. haha

16 minutes ago, nelska said:

I wonder why it is only at 60hz?

-shrug- maybe the display's profile of that resolution is 60hz

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

-shrug- maybe the display's profile of that resolution is 60hz

After all that I've decided to reset my monitor to factory settings and just play 1280x960 at 240hz. Work's great. with the OSD set to 1:1 or aspect ratio instead of wide it works.. but it's actually taking the display and making it exactly 1280x960 there are black bars on top and bottom too. Which lags a bit for sure theres for sure some kind of latency scaling going on there. but it does look "classic" like what an original display at that resolution displays. even at 240hz it still feels "laggy". I have given in.. it's probably just designed to be gamed on at maximum refresh rate. This definitely was worth making the thread tho I learned some stuff I didn't even know the term for "letterbox" ect. thanks!

1 minute ago, nelska said:

even at 240hz it still feels "laggy"

just fyi, my acer 240hz is giving me hell right now, i can DM you if you're interested to learn more

• 3 months later...
On 9/28/2020 at 4:35 AM, Moonzy said:

just fyi, my acer 240hz is giving me hell right now, i can DM you if you're interested to learn more

Hey i know this thread is old but we have the same monitor but the 144hz version and i'm using it as an external monitor with my laptop and i wanna play csgo with 4:3 1280x960 at 120hz but its not letting me as it'll only run on 60hz and not 120hz same applies for other resolutions as well. I was wondering if you found a fix or anything.

1 minute ago, Really Willy said:

Hey i know this thread is old but we have the same monitor but the 144hz version and i'm using it as an external monitor with my laptop and i wanna play csgo with 4:3 1280x960 at 120hz but its not letting me as it'll only run on 60hz and not 120hz same applies for other resolutions as well. I was wondering if you found a fix or anything.

It depends on your laptop's HDMI port capabilities

It depends on your laptop's HDMI port capabilities

That is one hell of a fast reply, kinda sad as i bought the monitor hoping to play at 4:3 144hz but its HDMI so i can only afford 120hz but at 1920x1080. Which gives me significantly less fps sigh. Is there any way i can play on 4:3 and 120hz tho on this setup?

3 minutes ago, Really Willy said:

That is one hell of a fast reply, kinda sad as i bought the monitor hoping to play at 4:3 144hz but its HDMI so i can only afford 120hz but at 1920x1080. Which gives me significantly less fps sigh. Is there any way i can play on 4:3 and 120hz tho on this setup?

What laptop is it? You might wanna make a new thread so more people may assist you

Provide laptop and screen model, and state your issue