2.1 Setup

Hikaru12

So I ended up changing my mind on getting the Def Tech Monitor 55's in favor of a soundbar for my bedroom (crappier sound quality I know but at least it keeps cable clutter at bay.) Anyway, I'm thinking about saving up for a new 2.1 system for my new build (coming soon! :D). I'm budgeting about $700 bucks. I'm planning on getting the HSU SPF-1 sub as I've heard it's really good for it's price range and from the reviews I've read online, it plays nicely with music.

So that leaves me with about $400 for a good pair of bookshelves. I currently have some Polk TSI100's sitting in storage that I'm looking to sell. Can anyone recommend any good passive bookshelves for that price range? They will be used strictly for music only.

Thanks!

So I ended up changing my mind on getting the Def Tech Monitor 55's in favor of a soundbar for my bedroom (crappier sound quality I know but at least it keeps cable clutter at bay.) Anyway, I'm thinking about saving up for a new 2.1 system for my new build (coming soon! :D). I'm budgeting about $700 bucks. I'm planning on getting the HSU SPF-1 sub as I've heard it's really good for it's price range and from the reviews I've read online, it plays nicely with music.

So that leaves me with about $400 for a good pair of bookshelves. I currently have some Polk TSI100's sitting in storage that I'm looking to sell. Can anyone recommend any good passive bookshelves for that price range? They will be used strictly for music only.

Thanks!

I recommend the Audioengine A5+ which have amazing reviews. 

They're amazing speakers, check out this video on them. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Thanks!

I just joined the CEntrance 2504 drop on Massdrop and I have high hopes for those. With $400 you'll have enough for an decent sub as well.

I just joined the CEntrance 2504 drop on Massdrop and I have high hopes for those. With $400 you'll have enough for an decent sub as well.

Dear god those are some gorgeous cabinets. My only problem with audio makers is when they usually spend so much money on high quality cabinets the sound is compromised. Hopefully that's not the case with these. I'll look into them!

Just noticed those Centrance only take 25W :/ Even my $150 Polks can take 100W. Unless I'm missing something because their impedance is 4ohms?

Dear god those are some gorgeous cabinets. My only problem with audio makers is when they usually spend so much money on high quality cabinets the sound is compromised. Hopefully that's not the case with these. I'll look into them!

Just noticed those Centrance only take 25W :/ Even my $150 Polks can take 100W. Unless I'm missing something because their impedance is 4ohms?

Higher impedance means lower wattage but it could just be because they're small. 

Higher impedance means lower wattage but it could just be because they're small. 

Yes, but those speakers that he quoted me are rated for lower impedance and their SPL rating is not listed but given the information they should be louder, however my Polks are still louder by a significant 6dB which is a concern for me. The amp I'm planning on getting can do 100W cleanly with 0.1% THD at 1/meter a 1/W so I want to pair it up with something that won't be over or underwhelmed by it.

Yes, but those speakers that he quoted me are rated for lower impedance and their SPL rating is not listed but given the information they should be louder, however my Polks are still louder by a significant 6dB which is a concern for me. The amp I'm planning on getting can do 100W cleanly with 0.1% THD at 1/meter a 1/W so I want to pair it up with something that won't be over or underwhelmed by it.

Yes. That was why I was referencing the size... your polks are bigger. I wasn't trying to convince you to get them I was just saying that they're small so that could be why they take less power. If it's not what you want then look at something else. 

Yes. That was why I was referencing the size... your polks are bigger. I wasn't trying to convince you to get them I was just saying that they're small so that could be why they take less power. If it's not what you want then look at something else. 

No worries man I just wanted to know if they would be loud enough for a 15' x 15' bedroom. 

No worries man I just wanted to know if they would be loud enough for a 15' x 15' bedroom. 

They should be. I was told that they are loud enough for a small party. 

What's wrong with the Tsi100's?

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

What's wrong with the Tsi100's?

I guess nothing really but I just wanted more detail in my sound. I guess I'll stick with them until I can afford some Ascends or something.