Transferring Programs between PCs

Agena_

Hi, does anybody know how i can transfer a program from 1 computer to another. OR copy it

For example vegas 14 editing app, how can i copy it or transfer it to a different computer.

Thanks in advance

You can't. Software installer puts stuff in multiple places, and if all of those aren't found, it wont work. You usually can export settings, or backup them as config files for easier launch. But you still need to reinstall whole software.

Some software have option for portable install, where everything is kept inside single folder. This might mean there's little less configuration or saved profiles. Also using launchers like Steam and Origin, you can move whole game folders and discover them on new install. The launcher will still need to be installed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

And you have to purchase an additional copy as the license key of certain software can only work one PC, which is usually based on MAC address of motherboard. And this is another reason that a copy would fail

2 hours ago, haslemis said:

And you have to purchase an additional copy as the license key of certain software can only work one PC, which is usually based on MAC address of motherboard. And this is another reason that a copy would fail

Usually its one PC at the same time. I only know of OS locking to mobo, not software. They usually verify via server or some other way that license is valid.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If it's freeware or shareware, you may just try copy directory from one pc to another and run exe. In most cases it works. If program needs additional registry entries, you can copy them too. And if you want your config - copy settings from appdata folders.

In some cases this will be more difficult than just install program.

16 hours ago, homeap5 said:

If it's freeware or shareware

?

Those are distribution types, not something that dictates if software allows just to be moved and is expected to work. For example, Steam is freeware, but doesn't just work if its moved between even drives on same PC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

?

Those are distribution types, not something that dictates if software allows just to be moved and is expected to work. For example, Steam is freeware, but doesn't just work if its moved between even drives on same PC.

I'm just talking that if program is licensed, you should not copy it to another computer, but buy another key. Unless program allows you to be used on many computers with the same key. But if program is freeware, you can copy it from one computer to another and it's legal.

Just now, homeap5 said:

I'm just talking that if program is licensed, you should not copy it to another computer, but buy another key. Unless program allows you to be used on many computers with the same key.

You are losing your touch. Most licenses allow transfers, just not use or installs on two machines at the same time. So far I've only seen locking licensing with Windows OS, all other that I've bought could have been installed and used again on another machine if you still have key or activation file available.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

You are losing your touch. Most licenses allow transfers, just not use or installs on two machines at the same time. So far I've only seen locking licensing with Windows OS, all other that I've bought could have been installed and used again on another machine if you still have key or activation file available.

Ok, I may skip that "freeware or shareware" part, it was unnecesary. I just imagine that OP asks how to copy all his software to another computer, so I just wanted to skip asking for license keys etc. You're right - question was about copying programs, nothing more.