Will 3090 or 3080 work with my setup

rrivera

Hello, casual gamer here.  Quick question.

With the hype of the new nvidia 3080 and 3090, I was thinking that it's finally time to upgrade my graphics card. (I'm in no rush, I'm sure within 6 months or so the stores and inventories should have stock for the cards)

Here's my current set up.  Will getting a 3080 or 3090 work with this? From my quick searches, it sounds like my mobo and PSU should be able to handle at least the 3080, I'm hoping I can just get the new video card and "plug & play."

Asus TUF Z370 Plus G

Silencer 1050w 80+ Platinum

i7 8700K

DDR4 16GB 3200MHz

GTX980 (Lol, yeah it was a free video card)

I'm pretty sure 3090 is definitely overkill (Then again, I think, so was the 2080ti when it came out, but I opted out at the time), but I can dish out the extra dough to ensure that my rig will be "viable" for a few years.  I don't play any crazy high end games, I just like to get as high fps as I can with any games I play- and I'm only running 2k on a 27" 165hz monitor.  Maybe upgrade to 4k within the next year.

From what I've read and watched, 3080 (Even the 2080ti at the time) would be a huge upgrade for me.  For reference, I'm currently playing around 50fps on medium high settings on a game like Three Kingdoms Total War.  I wanna max out games on my system, whatever casual game it may be.

Thanks!

Just now, Shimejii said:

get a 3080 :P 3090 is a waste if you are just gaming.

It def sounds like it, and the price point is reminiscent of the hype around the time 2080ti was a thing.  I was 90% sold on the 3080, just wanted to make sure that my rig will allow me to plug and play (I have basic build skills but I've never built my own PC unsupervised by a pro).

So, my rig can sustain a 3080 just fine?  namely mobo and psu?

Thanks

Just now, StarsMars said:

Get a 3080 and consider more ram

should I just grab a couple sticks of the same exact RAM? pretty sure I have the slots available.  Or do you have a recommendation?

9 minutes ago, rrivera said:

should I just grab a couple sticks of the same exact RAM? pretty sure I have the slots available.  Or do you have a recommendation?

I would try and find a duplicate kit

13 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

get a 3080 :P 3090 is a waste if you are just gaming.

And why is that?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

If you have the money, go for 3090. Its a Monster and has 24GB Vram. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Just now, Praesi said:

If you have the money, go for 3090. Its a Monster and has 24GB Vram. 

and it would be sustained by my mobo and psu, yeah? It's my main concern for either of the cards.  Thanks!

Just now, rrivera said:

and it would be sustained by my mobo and psu, yeah? It's my main concern for either of the cards.  Thanks!

You have over 1k PSU. Thats more than enough. The Card is super heavy tho. If your Board has no reinforced PCI Slots, you may need something to help against sacking.

Just now, Praesi said:

You have over 1k PSU. Thats more than enough. The Card is super heavy tho. If your Board has no reinforced PCI Slots, you may need something to help against sacking.

Ah yes the size was also one of the concerns. I'll bring it over to my local Fry's (since that's where they built the pc to begin with when I purchased the parts) and see if they have any suggestions for the size issue.  But if the rest of the build works then great!  I don't have to buy or replace any old parts just to accommodate a new card. 

3 minutes ago, rrivera said:

Ah yes the size was also one of the concerns. I'll bring it over to my local Fry's (since that's where they built the pc to begin with when I purchased the parts) and see if they have any suggestions for the size issue.  But if the rest of the build works then great!  I don't have to buy or replace any old parts just to accommodate a new card. 

Dont dont have to replace anything.

39 minutes ago, rrivera said:

Hello, casual gamer here.  Quick question.

With the hype of the new nvidia 3080 and 3090, I was thinking that it's finally time to upgrade my graphics card. (I'm in no rush, I'm sure within 6 months or so the stores and inventories should have stock for the cards)

Here's my current set up.  Will getting a 3080 or 3090 work with this? From my quick searches, it sounds like my mobo and PSU should be able to handle at least the 3080, I'm hoping I can just get the new video card and "plug & play."

Asus TUF Z370 Plus G

Silencer 1050w 80+ Platinum

i7 8700K

DDR4 16GB 3200MHz

GTX980 (Lol, yeah it was a free video card)

I'm pretty sure 3090 is definitely overkill (Then again, I think, so was the 2080ti when it came out, but I opted out at the time), but I can dish out the extra dough to ensure that my rig will be "viable" for a few years.  I don't play any crazy high end games, I just like to get as high fps as I can with any games I play- and I'm only running 2k on a 27" 165hz monitor.  Maybe upgrade to 4k within the next year.

From what I've read and watched, 3080 (Even the 2080ti at the time) would be a huge upgrade for me.  For reference, I'm currently playing around 50fps on medium high settings on a game like Three Kingdoms Total War.  I wanna max out games on my system, whatever casual game it may be.

Thanks!

personally i think you should buy a 3080 and upgrade the cpu and mobo with the money you would have spent on a 3090. im not sure your storage solution maybe look into a ssd or nvme drive which will boost load times

6 minutes ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

personally i think you should buy a 3080 and upgrade the cpu and mobo with the money you would have spent on a 3090. im not sure your storage solution maybe look into a ssd or nvme drive which will boost load times

Ooh possibly.  I currently have a 1tb 970 evo and a random older 7200rpm for junk. 

I haven't kept up with cpu's, since at the time I knew that my GPU was the weakest link of the build.  Any recommendations for gaming CPU?  Last I heard/read, for gaming, 8700k was a good price and performance point compared to the i9's.  Has this changed?

24 minutes ago, rrivera said:

Ooh possibly.  I currently have a 1tb 970 evo and a random older 7200rpm for junk. 

I haven't kept up with cpu's, since at the time I knew that my GPU was the weakest link of the build.  Any recommendations for gaming CPU?  Last I heard/read, for gaming, 8700k was a good price and performance point compared to the i9's.  Has this changed?

Check out benchmarks for 10700k or 10850k compared to the 8700k

1 minute ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

Check out benchmarks for 10700k or 10850k compared to the 8700k

the 8700k is still good for today's game, i wouldn't spend money on upgrading it just yet

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

the 8700k is still good for today's game, i wouldn't spend money on upgrading it just yet

after a solid 3080 gpu, his cpu is the next upgrade. whether he thinks its worth it price to performance increase is up to him. which is why i said look at benchmarks and then he can make a informed decision

11 minutes ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

after a solid 3080 gpu, his cpu is the next upgrade. whether he thinks its worth it price to performance increase is up to him. which is why i said look at benchmarks and then he can make a informed decision

fair, but benchmark are normally stock settings, unless he can find benchmark with 8700k OC-ed

think gamer nexus does, sometimes

but yea, wont see much uplift compared to current gen stuff, since 6c/12t is still sufficient for almost every game

but if OP thinks ~5% is worth changing cpu and motherboard for, go for it

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

fair, but benchmark are normally stock settings, unless he can find benchmark with 8700k OC-ed

think gamer nexus does, sometimes

but yea, wont see much uplift compared to current gen stuff, since 6c/12t is still sufficient for almost every game

but if OP thinks ~5% is worth changing cpu and motherboard for, go for it

from my knowledge theres more than 5% from a 8700k to a 10700k

4 minutes ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

from my knowledge theres more than 5% from a 8700k to a 10700k

i just looked for a video

10700k vs 8700k, both at 5GHz, diff is ~5%

Spoiler

of course, depends if OP can actually clock that high, 5GHz should be do-able for more 8700k

52 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Because its fucking stupid to spend 1500$ on a GPU that performs 5% more on average at 4k, and is basically identical at 1440p, when the 700$ gpu performs the same?

Its up to 15%

And 10GB vs 24GB VRAM

Just now, Praesi said:

Its up to 15%

If the Money is there, no reason not to spend it.

There are plenty of reasons Not to spend it :P Just because you have the money doesnt make it a wise choice. Plus again its not going to be that much for the vast majority of games

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

Its up to 15%

If the Money is there, no reason not to spend it.

it's up to op to see if it's worth it

100% price for 15% perf, most people would say no

but they are not OP

Just now, Shimejii said:

There are plenty of reasons Not to spend it :P Just because you have the money doesnt make it a wise choice. Plus again its not going to be that much for the vast majority of games

I edited my post. 10GB vs 24GB VRAM

And 15%. Not like you said 4%

And wise or not wise wasnt OPs Question.