Looking to upgrade my graphics card, afraid of bottleneck by my CPU

Hi guys,

I was looking to upgrade my pc to at least be able to play most AAA games at 1080p at some 60fps at least. Right now I have an i5-6400 2.7GHz and a gtx 960 2GB with 16GB of RAM DDR4. My plan was to upgrade the 960 to a 1660S but I'm afraid to be wasting my money in a card that my cpu won't be able to handle. My main concern is budget, I don't have much for now, roughly 300€. So, should I be ok for the next few years with a gtx 1660S at 1080p or should I better invest in a new better computer for the same resolution? Or any other graphics cards/ideas are welcommed as well of course

Thanks all beforehand

You'll be somewhat limited by the 6400 because it's a 4c/4t chip which will run out of threads, and in games that can scale up to 4 threads, it will holds you back a bit sadly. 

If you want, you can get a 7700/6700/k which is a pretty nice upgrade over the 6400 without changing the platform. 

1 hour ago, ls920 said:

So, should I be ok for the next few years with a gtx 1660S at 1080p

We don't or can know. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

34 minutes ago, ls920 said:

My plan was to upgrade the 960 to a 1660S but I'm afraid to be wasting my money in a card that my cpu won't be able to handle

it should handle it ok in most games today, though some game may struggle

you can always upgrade you cpu next when you think it's not enough, no big deal.

35 minutes ago, ls920 said:

should I be ok for the next few years with a gtx 1660S at 1080p or should I better invest in a new better computer for the same resolution?

1660S should be on for 1080p for a few years if you're willing to turn settings down

upgrading part by part is more economical than full PC upgrade.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 hours ago, ls920 said:

Hi guys,

I was looking to upgrade my pc to at least be able to play most AAA games at 1080p at some 60fps at least. Right now I have an i5-6400 2.7GHz and a gtx 960 2GB with 16GB of RAM DDR4. My plan was to upgrade the 960 to a 1660S but I'm afraid to be wasting my money in a card that my cpu won't be able to handle. My main concern is budget, I don't have much for now, roughly 300€. So, should I be ok for the next few years with a gtx 1660S at 1080p or should I better invest in a new better computer for the same resolution? Or any other graphics cards/ideas are welcommed as well of course

Thanks all beforehand

I have a 3200g at 4 ghz which is also 4c/4t and i have an rx 580 which doesn't bottleneck.