3700X Idle Temp

Go to solution Solved by Haro,

these temps are perfectly fine, and idle temps don't matter, load temps do, and they are good. 

Hello,

Looking for some guidance on if I have a problem or not.

Recently I got a bargain on an Ryzen 3700x and Asus ROG B550F Mobo bundle, as my i5 7600 was starting to struggle with some games.

During bios the chip is sitting at 45C, no OC, in Windows 10 its 42 but frequently pings to 55c and 60c when doing light tasks.  In games its barely rising, 64C is about the highest I've seen.

Tried COD MW (which killed my i5) and avengers as my test games. The temp in the games generally isn't that much higher than when on desktop doing web browsing.

Should I be worried?

System spec

3700x no OC

Asus B550-F mother board

16 gb Crucial RGB c16 3600Mhz DDR4

Cooler Master ML240RGB watercooling

Cooler Master H500 case

Cosair GS800 PSU

Zotac GTX1070ti (no RTX3080 yet :( )

Couple of other points:

- windows 10 drive I pulled from my old build and reactivated windows. Not done a fresh build yet.....

- I tried liquid diamond paste and then MX4, no difference

- tried re-doing the mx4 and reseating the AIO.  As getting the clamps on was a total pain to position, on my last attempt I took my time & was very careful.

- don't see much difference when chip is in auto or overdrive with the AI tweaker

- I've set a lower limit of 35C and upper 70c for the fan/cooler profile in bios

No worries.

The cpu has a throttle point of 95c.

To measure the coolers performance, gauge temps while at full load.

But no, I see No issues with your temps. Normal and good. Enjoy your rig.

these temps are perfectly fine, and idle temps don't matter, load temps do, and they are good. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

No worries.

The cpu has a throttle point of 95c.

To measure the coolers performance, gauge temps while at full load.

But no, I see No issues with your temps. Normal and good. Enjoy your rig.

thanks,,,,,, just a bit paranoid,,,,,  been on Intel the past 2-3 builds ,,,,,, my first was an AMD Athlon X2

Just now, crazy goldfish said:

thanks,,,,,, just a bit paranoid,,,,,  been on Intel the past 2-3 builds ,,,,,, my first was an AMD Athlon X2

Nice. Depending on which Intel, those throttle at 100c.... so you've probably never had anything to worry about 

The Athlon x2 probably had a max temp of 60c. Or around there, usually not over 70c for most 90nm - 45nm Athlons.

2 minutes ago, crazy goldfish said:

The AMD Zen always has the temperature very jumpy during idle and light load. It's normal. If the CPU keeps spinning up and down bothering you. You can set a custom fan profile, so the fan stays at idle speed, and only start spinning faster when the CPU passes 55C. That way the CPU fan will spin up only under real load.

2 hours ago, Deli said:

The AMD Zen always has the temperature very jumpy during idle and light load. It's normal. If the CPU keeps spinning up and down bothering you. You can set a custom fan profile, so the fan stays at idle speed, and only start spinning faster when the CPU passes 55C. That way the CPU fan will spin up only under real load.

Thanks, the fan doesn't bother me too much as most of the time I have headphones on, however I will set up a custom profile (once I get my head around it).