Will Mobo Work for Win10?

amaizyng

Budget (including currency): USD$200

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minimal desktop usage for Mom

I have an older computer that ran Win7 Starter. The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 (rev. 1.0) which uses DDR3 RAM. I plan to get an AM3+ slot processor (probably a 6 core FX just for kicks) and fit it with 2x4GB DDR3-1600 or 1866 RAM.

However, it looks like the latest drivers are for Win8.1. Is this going to pose a problem if I use Win10? Is it possible for a motherboard from the past decade to not be compatible with Win10?

2 minutes ago, amaizyng said:

Budget (including currency): USD$200

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minimal desktop usage for Mom

I have an older computer that ran Win7 Starter. The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 (rev. 1.0) which uses DDR3 RAM. I plan to get an AM3+ slot processor (probably a 6 core FX just for kicks) and fit it with 2x4GB DDR3-1600 or 1866 RAM.

However, it looks like the latest drivers are for Win8.1. Is this going to pose a problem if I use Win10? Is it possible for a motherboard from the past decade to not be compatible with Win10?

It will work. However DO NOT get a 6core cpu for that board. It will die. The absolute max safest is a quad core fx. The board has terrible vrms and vrm cooling causing it to just give out when paired with higher demand cpu's.

17 hours ago, jaslion said:

It will work. However DO NOT get a 6core cpu for that board. It will die. The absolute max safest is a quad core fx. The board has terrible vrms and vrm cooling causing it to just give out when paired with higher demand cpu's.

I appreciate the warning! I had no idea that would be an issue, so i'll probably go with an AM3 socket 2 or 4 core Phenom, whichever is cheapest with a preference for a 2.

Out of curiosity, how did you know it has terrible vrms and vrm cooling? I'd like to watch out for this in the future

4 hours ago, amaizyng said:

I appreciate the warning! I had no idea that would be an issue, so i'll probably go with an AM3 socket 2 or 4 core Phenom, whichever is cheapest with a preference for a 2.

Out of curiosity, how did you know it has terrible vrms and vrm cooling? I'd like to watch out for this in the future

Google and well 760g chipset boards usually didn't have good vrms due to them being the far cheaper chipset. That and the 970 chipsets. Manufacturers were severely cheaping out on amd back then due to fx just being shit and phenom not being amazing or the popular choice. I at one point just had a couple bins of dead am3 boards ranging anywhere from north bridges just popping into sparks to vrms burning up. Was not great and yes your board was amongst them.

Dang, I appreciate your experimentation, and I'll definitely listen to you. I'm new to computer building and such so I'm just trying to play with whatever I can get my hands on.