Pc dead no power. 1hr later working normal?

Willmck91

Hey team hope all is well

My  pc sometime (was every couple months then became every few weeks that was become most days ) dose not start.  Its Just dead no power at all.

When this happens I cabt jump the mobo nothing happens but I Can jump the power supply threw 24 pin (paper clip. Green wire and earth) no problem. 

To try fix it. Sometimes I open the case jump the power supply for 30 seconds put it back it press power and  I just wait and it randomly turn on after like 5 to 40 minutes  or I just try the power button ever 20 minutes or  so and it boots after a while. Maby 20 mins to an hr or 2 

Cpu 8600k
Mobo msi z370 a pro
Gskill ripjaw ddr4 3200
Amd 5700xt
Some ssds 
Thermaltake Smart 700w 80+ power supply 

Do I try a new mobo first then if that dose not work a new power supply since the psu can be jumped? 

I’ve tried changing the power button and reset button around. I tried jumping the motherboard with a screwdriver. Tried changing the CMOS battery. I unplugged everything and re-plugged everything back in ect 

power supply first. then mobo.

psu probably is failing i wouldnt be turning it on 😕

5 minutes ago, Felicity said:

power supply first. then mobo.

psu probably is failing i wouldnt be turning it on 😕

Thank you 🙌🙌 why do u think psu over mobo? 

13 minutes ago, Willmck91 said:

Thank you 🙌🙌 why do u think psu over mobo? 

If it was the motherboard, it simply wouldn't work. A failing PSU could be struggling to survive, and occasionally feed power, but generally fail. Do you get any other bluescreen issues etc? Those are more likely in a mobo failure, where it just won't work period or will give a shitton of errors. 

Motherboards are also rare to fail like that unless it's straight up DoA, but power delivery can be questionable. 

I assume by unplug and replug everything you meant EVERYTHING, including all psu cables and internal stuff, maybe even a full rebuild. It's likely the psu tho. It's usually the psu. 

4 minutes ago, Felicity said:

If it was the motherboard, it simply wouldn't work. A failing PSU could be struggling to survive, and occasionally feed power, but generally fail. Do you get any other bluescreen issues etc? Those are more likely in a mobo failure, where it just won't work period or will give a shitton of errors. 

Motherboards are also rare to fail like that unless it's straight up DoA, but power delivery can be questionable. 

I assume by unplug and replug everything you meant EVERYTHING, including all psu cables and internal stuff, maybe even a full rebuild. It's likely the psu tho. It's usually the psu. 

Off to best buy :) thank u. 

3 minutes ago, Willmck91 said:

Off to best buy :) thank u. 

make sure you get it from a place that does returns so if I'm wrong and made a bad assumption, you can return it and try something else. troubleshooting sucks.

18 minutes ago, Felicity said:

make sure you get it from a place that does returns so if I'm wrong and made a bad assumption, you can return it and try something else. troubleshooting sucks.

Great call. They said I have 15days 

51 minutes ago, Felicity said:

Well there out of power supply lol back to trouble shooting untill tomoz 

I had a similar issue with a ASUS TUF B450M. My build was working perfectly for 3 months after assembling it (all parts were new), suddenly I had this issue were PC was working perfectly fine at night and next morning it failed to post, jumping the mobo wasn't doing anything... 5 or so hours later it was working ok again. This repeated about 4-5 times within the next month. I sent the mobo back to Asus and the conclusion was a factory defect. Maybe you can try turning it on with the minimum components and see how that works.