I need some Schooling.

johnsontylerj

Budget (including currency): I spent probably around $4000 USD for everything.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Video Editing, Music Production, 3D Animation, Mostly Gameplay. I built it with Cyberpunk 2077 in mind.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Folks - I need help. I decided it was about time to build a new machine. It's been over 10 years since I last build a Desktop. I've been running Asus ROG laptops that entire time. I went in with no expectation of budget. I wanted to get as high-end of components as I could and put it all together - and I wanted to stay in the Asus ROG Family for every component that I could. So I built what I thought was a monster...and I'm wondering if I need some schooling. Here are the Specs.

CPU - Intel Core i9-9820X (10-core) w/ROG Ryujin AIO Cooler

MB - ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming II

RAM - 64GB DDR4 3200

M.2 - 2x Western Digital Black 2TB Drives. 1 Samsung 960 PRO 1TB

SATA - 10TB WD Drive, (Left overs from external drives 8TB WD Drive, and 4 TB WD Drive)

GPU - ASUS ROG STRIX 2080 Ti

PS - Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w Gold

Case - ROG STRIX Helios GX601

So..yeah - went nuts. But I legitimately do a lot with this Machine - on TOP of which I basically wanted it to play my current library of games, and the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 flawlessly in 4K.

Most of what I do with the machine (internet, Music Production, Graphic Design, Video Editing, even boot up - is lightening-fast.) But Games lag more than I thought they should on max settings. I'm not super stoked on the framerates I'm getting - by all accounts - this thing should be a monster, smooth and excellent. But it feels low for the horsepower I THOUGHT I was paying for.. 3dMark Benchmark scores are in the 13000's and avg FPS is around 80-90.

I'm also having issues with the bluetooth controller - I cannot for the life of me - no matter what I do with drivers, get the controller to sync over Bluetooth. It connects to my ASUS ROG Laptop just fine - but to this desktop - I have to be hardwired, or I get nothing.

So - I would love some advice - Did I just choose overly expensive, and bad hardware? Do I not know how to get the BIOS dialed in right (highly likely)?

Are these motherboards known for having finicky Bluetooth controllers?

Fire away!

If you're going to be extremely productive, I suggest getting a 3950X or it's Zen 3 partnered with a high tier X570 motherboard. I suggest the Crosshair VIII X570. You can get a safe stable OC of 4.4 GHz on ALL CORES at 1.33750v

And get the RTX3080 instead of 2080Ti. It supports DLSS 3.0 (I beliecve, correct me if I'm wrong) and you can run it with RTX ON in the same time.

That's my suggestion.

Schooling is required.

Major issues:

- CPU is not a cutting-edge platform (it's a few years old at this point), and is handily beat out in every metric by the much cheaper AMD 3900X -- If I were you, I'd get the Ryzen 3950X unless you can stomach the extra cost to upgrade to Threadripper.

Minor issues:

- GPU was the best you could get a week ago, but the RTX 3080 Just came out and its much better. If you really want to go balls-to-the-wall, get the RTX 3090 coming out in 3 days.

- Personally, I'd get 3600Mhz RAM at least if I were really going all-out, but this isn't a real issue

- You don't really need a 1200W PSU. 750W is more than enough.

if you can, I would return the CPU and Motherboard and get a Ryzen 3950X (or if you're an intel person, the 10900K).

Also keep in mind that new Ryzen CPUs are being announced on October 8th, which will be better than anything else I've mentioned here.

With all that considered, here's what I would get: (choices for case, storage, psu are mostly arbitrary)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Game performance is greatly affected by clock speed. The i9-9820X has a max turbo speed of 4.1 GHz. This is on the low side by current standards.

Have you overclocked the system? Asus motherboards are generally fairly good at finding safe overclocking settings.

You might also look into overclocking the gpu.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thanks for the replies folks!

CPU issue - when I was ordering parts - all the CPU's I wanted were on back-order (probably COVID related)  So I always planned on upgrading that - It's a good call-out.  I won't be switching to AMD any time soon.

GPU - yes - I was worried that when I bought the card a few months ago that the new ones would be coming soon.  I didn't wait - my fault.  I'll probably grab a 3090 just because I want one.

@DutchGuyTom - Any help/advice here is appreciated!

1 - I'll post when I re-run.  I'm using the time-spy overall system benchmark and getting ~13,500 score. 

2 - Most games running at 4k with max settings come in between 30-50 fps.  I've tried on a couple different monitors with different refresh rates.  But not even getting 60 as the baseline seems "Off" to me.

3 - Yes - sorry not network lag - low FPS.

4 - The Bluetooth unit on the motherboard is an intel model - don't know exactly which one - but I've grabbed the lastest drivers from intel and from Asus and tried both - it wont allow me to connect to either of my xBox One Bluetooth controllers - which are on the latest drivers./firmware - and work on my other computers fine.  

@DutchGuyTom - All of your responses make perfect sense - and the only thing on the controller troubleshooting I haven't tried yet - is connecting the antennas...I didn't even think about that.  I always hardwire my gaming machines, and I thought those were just for wifi - so I didn't connect em.  I'm going to try that and report back.

On number 2 - that's the schooling I was hoping for.  I needed a re-alignment on my expectations.

Thanks again!!

Cheers,

@DutchGuyTom - You win!  Controller works perfectly.  Who knew you needed all the parts for a wireless component hooked up for it to actually work?  You did....you did.