cs850m

conlopez

Is the cs850m good enough for a 3080? I know it has enough watts but it is a budget power supply.

The only thing with lower end power supplies and high wattages is that they usually have high inrush currents - stress on the system at start, lower power delivery stability (might prove hard to overclock a CPU on whacky power delivery) and poor efficiency at higher loads.. usually 85% or so. (Bronze tier efficiency).

750W is enough. But make sure it's a PSU with good reviews and a midrange at worst. I usually recommend NOT skipping budget on the PSU, since it powers your shiny new components.

CS850M is fairly decent.

If you already have the CS850M then I would recommend just trying it and seeing how it goes. If you have problems with it switching off under load then maybe consider buying a new PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Light-Yagami said:

The only thing with lower end power supplies and high wattages is that they usually have high inrush currents - stress on the system at start, lower power delivery stability (might prove hard to overclock a CPU on whacky power delivery) and poor efficiency at higher loads.. usually 85% or so. (Bronze tier efficiency).

The CSM is 80+ Gold and features NTC thermistor to limit inrush current. (not bad points to mention though)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

CS850M is fairly decent.

If you already have the CS850M then I would recommend just trying it and seeing how it goes. If you have problems with it switching off under load then maybe consider buying a new PSU.

Yes I have had it for a long time and never had any issues although I don't think im drawing that much power from it, 6700k and 1080 sli 

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The CSM is 80+ Gold and features NTC thermistor to limit inrush current. (not bad points to mention though)

I was merely informing him/her of the possible issues of budget PSUs. I don't have experience with CS850, so I'm unable to give an educated opinion on it. That's why I didn't mention the CS850 at any point.