RAM causing stabilization problems

Hi

I have had a problem with my computer, as in it has shut itself down randomly. I found out that 12V rail is getting only 9V-10.5V, I removed 2 of my RAM sticks and now it gets over 11V reliably.

I have Gsill RipjawsX as my RAM, 2 8GB kits(2x4GB) I believe that the problem is my 2-year-old PSU, and I could get a new one in a few days time, but is the problem my RAM, MOBO or PSU?

Rodakin: AKA: Hitman, Occupation: Master assassin                                                                                   ....or just a student... whatevs...

Hi

I have had a problem with my computer, as in it has shut itself down randomly. I found out that 12V rail is getting only 9V-10.5V, I removed 2 of my RAM sticks and now it gets over 11V reliably.

I have Gsill RipjawsX as my RAM, 2 8GB kits(2x4GB) I believe that the problem is my 2-year-old PSU, and I could get a new one in a few days time, but is the problem my RAM, MOBO or PSU?

so you have 16gbs total, and you bought two seperate 8gb kits?

If you did, i think its a timing issue with the ram. When you buy ram next, try to get the amount you want all in the same kit because they have a better chance of working together. While ram does work together in different kits, sometimes they have an issue and just dont like to work together.

Edited by Hotnuggets

so you have 16gbs total, and you bought two seperate 8gb kits?

If you did, i think its a timing issue with the ram. When you buy ram next, try to get the amount you want all in the same kit because they have a better chance of working together. While ram does work together in different kits, sometimes they have an issue and just dont like to work together.

I was afraid this could be the problem... However it did work when I got the RAM last Christmas... only quite recently has it had random shutdowns. Do you think a new PSU could fix the problem? 

Rodakin: AKA: Hitman, Occupation: Master assassin                                                                                   ....or just a student... whatevs...

I was afraid this could be the problem... However it did work when I got the RAM last Christmas... only quite recently has it had random shutdowns. Do you think a new PSU could fix the problem? 

a new psu wont fix the timing issue.

You would have to get new Ram, or take one of the kits out and then just use 8gbs. You could do a memory test and test each stick to make sure they're all working properly although i do believe it is a timing issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I just got a new PSU, a Corsair RM850, using only one kit, I'm getting nearly sufficient voltage, from 9.984 V to 10.084 V. What can I do? Do I need to change the PSU AGAIN?