Seagate vs WD in 2020

Spc

Hi everyone,

What is the best NAS drive to buy today ?

WD GOLD series ?

Segate ExOS series ?

I am buying 2TB - 8TB disks but i don't know which one is more reliable and better than the other ?

Example  (2TB models):
WD GOLD - WD2005FBYZ

SEAGATE EXOS - ST2000NM0045

Thank you.

look at the warranty one each generally the longer the warranty the more reliable the drive

You usually don't need to buy the most expensive drives - WD Red series or Seagate Ironwolf will suffice just fine and you'll save money.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Each drive is built for a certain work environment. Desktop drives are different from NAS drives, similarly Enterprise & Datacenter Drives are different. For NAS, WD Red series or Seagate Ironwolf have a good track record and like @Morgan MLGman said you don't need the most expensive drives like these GOLD & ExOS Series drives, if you want to spend more than look for RED Pro or IronWolf Pro.

My scenario is always on 24/7 in my computer that is also used as a "NAS" via file and print sharing (SMB).
If i buy let's say WD GOLD WD2005FBYZ, it costs me about 100€, which is not a high price.

If i buy WD2003FZEX from the same company (WD BLACK) it costs me 140€ and drive is worse than gold version.

WD BLACK = WD2003FZEX = 140€ 5years

WD GOLD = WD2003FZEX = 101€ 5years

SEAGATE EXOS = ST2000NM0045 = 97€ 5years

Hi there,

I think you are looking for a posh SSD, in which case you should be better off with WD RED Pro and Seagate IronWolf Pro. These are the two drives I would recommend, since my guess is that you are not ready to compromise on performance.

Hope this helps!