Outputting to a 480i CRT TV from a modern PC, is it still possible?

Waifu4Life

Back in the old days, I use to output my PC to my CRT to play emulated games via composites and S-Video which were built-in my graphics card.

Fast forward today, I've recently purchased a 20" CRT with component inputs to plug my MiSTer FPGA for my 8-bits and 16-bits games and it works great.

I then try outputting from my PC to this TV using HDMI to components using a converter box for 32-bits and 64-bits games, but it didn't work. Windows 10's minimum output to that TV was 800×600, so the TV went nuts when displaying the picture.

Any solutions for this situation?

I'm struggling to think of PC games that you'd want to play at anything less than 800 x 600. I'd go for an old 800 x 600 crt monitor if you can find one.

2 minutes ago, Grafter67 said:

I'm struggling to think of PC games that you'd want to play at anything less than 800 x 600. I'd go for an old 800 x 600 crt monitor if you can find one.

I'm talking about emulating 32-bits and 64-bits games on my PC (PS1, Saturn & N64). These systems natively outputted in 240p and 480i.

3 minutes ago, the_importer said:

I'm talking about emulating 32-bits and 64-bits games on my PC (PS1, Saturn & N64). These systems natively outputted in 240p and 480i.

Ahh right, your post doesn't seem to read to my addled brain the way it did when I first read it. My bad.

45 minutes ago, Grafter67 said:

Ahh right, your post doesn't seem to read to my addled brain the way it did when I first read it. My bad.

NP

1 minute ago, the_importer said:

NP

So, if I'm reading right, 8 and 16 bit games work fine, 32 and 64 do not?

I still think a different display/screen for those is the simplest solution?

I feel dumb and must be missing something. I have had everything from pong right through to now and while emulators are fine on modern "screens" I use old tv's with old consoles.

7 minutes ago, Grafter67 said:

So, if I'm reading right, 8 and 16 bit games work fine, 32 and 64 do not?

I still think a different display/screen for those is the simplest solution?

I feel dumb and must be missing something. I have had everything from pong right through to now and while emulators are fine on modern "screens" I use old tv's with old consoles.

Nah, you missed the important part of my 2nd paragraph. I would suggest a good night's sleep and reading again in the morning.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, the_importer said:

Nah, you missed the important part of my 2nd paragraph. I would suggest a good night's sleep and reading again in the morning.

Cheers

No worries. Ill still be stupid tomorrow :) At present all I can see is you bought a box and it isn't compatible with your 3rd paragraph. hdmi and crt is very worth a google. very limited compatibility as I vaguely recall

I beleve that if u have a 900 series GPU or older u can use a DVI-I port to component adaptor and that should work so long as ur sending out a analog signal as DVI-I works with both analog and digital.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2020 at 11:38 PM, the_importer said:

Back in the old days, I use to output my PC to my CRT to play emulated games via composites and S-Video which were built-in my graphics card.

Fast forward today, I've recently purchased a 20" CRT with component inputs to plug my MiSTer FPGA for my 8-bits and 16-bits games and it works great.

I then try outputting from my PC to this TV using HDMI to components using a converter box for 32-bits and 64-bits games, but it didn't work. Windows 10's minimum output to that TV was 800×600, so the TV went nuts when displaying the picture.

Any solutions for this situation?

One way I hook up my stuff to a CRT is either a homebrewed Wii and emulate older games on the wii (for true 240p) and I have a cheap VGA to composite adapter for my laptop to watch older 4:3 shows on my 20in CRT.

1 hour ago, Supercat64 said:

One way I hook up my stuff to a CRT is either a homebrewed Wii and emulate older games on the wii (for true 240p) and I have a cheap VGA to composite adapter for my laptop to watch older 4:3 shows on my 20in CRT.

I already have an FPGA for my 8bit and 16bit games, 100% better than regular emulation. As for the rest, the N64 Virtual Console games run in 480i and the Wii can't emulated PS1 and Saturn properly. I was thinking of an old PC or an NVidia Shield TV (2017 model or higher), but I would need to convert HDMI Component that can output at 480i for that.

During this time, I did find one that converts from HDMI to S-Video at 480i, so I'll keep it until I can find out that does 480i for component (only found 480p after trying 3 of these boxes).

2 hours ago, the_importer said:

I already have an FPGA for my 8bit and 16bit games, 100% better than regular emulation. As for the rest, the N64 Virtual Console games run in 480i and the Wii can't emulated PS1 and Saturn properly. I was thinking of an old PC or an NVidia Shield TV (2017 model or higher), but I would need to convert HDMI Component that can output at 480i for that.

During this time, I did find one that converts from HDMI to S-Video at 480i, so I'll keep it until I can find out that does 480i for component (only found 480p after trying 3 of these boxes).

Oh hey let me know if you ever find an analog (480i) hdmi to component. I understand it's a bit difficult since 99 percent of them just convert to digital component, but if you find one lmk.

i use an HD6670 and it's vga output together with CRT emudriver (modded driver)

I rgb modded my crt tv to receive pure rgb, but there are vga to component converters that work, they are expensive over here so I just soldered some wires and got the same effect

a modern game that i tried just for kicks and worked is tekken 7, it actually supports 480i lol, most games won't work fullscreen, you have to use borderless windowed mode (streets of rage 4 for example)

diablo 2 gave me some directX problems that i solved with specific diablo 2 software to change video mode, outrun 2006 i had to download a directX emulator thing that looks like a console emulator lol a little window with the icon of the games you set up in it (this one also windowed fullscreen)

i've seen people on the internet having success with more modern graphics cards, as long as it's amd

you can't find a perfect list of what works, but you can google for crt emudriver compatibility or something, here's what a quick search got me, but basically no crt emudriver = no rgb

AMD Cards supporting low clock modelines:

AMD Radeon HD 69xx - Ok (with VGA or DVI-I)
AMD Radeon HD 79xx - Probably (with VGA or DVI-I)
AMD Radeon R7 260, 260X and 360 - Ok (with VGA or DVI-I)
AMD Radeon R9 380 and 380X - Ok (with VGA or DVI-I)

there are specialized forums on this matter, i don't think this is where you want info, the subject goes waaaaay deeper than this, there's a lot you'll have to learn about retroarch and super resolutions, it's a pain, but well worth it

22 hours ago, binex said:

i use an HD6670 and it's vga output together with CRT emudriver (modded driver)

I rgb modded my crt tv to receive pure rgb, but there are vga to component converters that work, they are expensive over here so I just soldered some wires and got the same effect

a modern game that i tried just for kicks and worked is tekken 7, it actually supports 480i lol, most games won't work fullscreen, you have to use borderless windowed mode (streets of rage 4 for example)

diablo 2 gave me some directX problems that i solved with specific diablo 2 software to change video mode, outrun 2006 i had to download a directX emulator thing that looks like a console emulator lol a little window with the icon of the games you set up in it (this one also windowed fullscreen)

i've seen people on the internet having success with more modern graphics cards, as long as it's amd

you can't find a perfect list of what works, but you can google for crt emudriver compatibility or something, here's what a quick search got me, but basically no crt emudriver = no rgb

AMD Cards supporting low clock modelines:

AMD Radeon HD 69xx - Ok (with VGA or DVI-I)
AMD Radeon HD 79xx - Probably (with VGA or DVI-I)
AMD Radeon R7 260, 260X and 360 - Ok (with VGA or DVI-I)
AMD Radeon R9 380 and 380X - Ok (with VGA or DVI-I)

there are specialized forums on this matter, i don't think this is where you want info, the subject goes waaaaay deeper than this, there's a lot you'll have to learn about retroarch and super resolutions, it's a pain, but well worth it

I only found 1 VGA to Component that does 480i and it's from some unknown online store in Australia, so I think I'll pass. As for your setup, well I'm not looking into opening a CRT (and potentially dying), so that will be a pass on that as well.

2 hours ago, the_importer said:

I only found 1 VGA to Component that does 480i and it's from some unknown online store in Australia, so I think I'll pass. As for your setup, well I'm not looking into opening a CRT (and potentially dying), so that will be a pass on that as well.

in Brazil there's a company called jasnet that builds many converters directed to retro gamers, like converting original neogeo boards to component or computer vga to component which is what you need right now, using a software called soft15khz to get proper resolutions, this company is well known over here and their product is known to work

i doubt it'll be easy to import it from here but you can click "contato" and send them a message in english, maybe they'll find a way to export it to you

divide the price by around 5.5 to know how much it costs

https://loja.jasnet.com.br/produtos/novo-conversor-vga-pc-para-componente-tv-tubo-crt/