Oldschool Panasonic phone system. Need info.

aaa tech

Hi. I'm an IT """""professional""""" trying to help a client with his oldschool home phone system and I have absolutely no idea anything about this system. I've set up VoIP systems before but idk much about older systems. The system fried due to a power surge and needs replacing but I need to understand at least the basics of the system so I can find and contract out somebody to go fix it.

This thing is a panasonic electronic modular switching system 616 easa-phone. I want to know the following:

1- does this system have any purpose outside routing calls and house-wide intercom and junk

2- are there any newer systems on the market that do the same thing and would be recommended to get over replacing this

3- Some general information on what this system is and how it works so I can more easily research everything. I don't need a full breakdown, just a general understanding.

Thanks! Also I'm new on this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

OwX6HUH.jpeg

rUXVPBW.jpeg

Wow that looks old.

I'd think the best approach is to ignore whatever it can do and ask the client what he needs instead and look up what current systems can do what they need...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It looks like a PABX/PBX system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_telephone_system#Private_branch_exchange

If it is, It can be compared with a router, but for telephones. The "WAN" part being where the landline enters (maybe more than one) and each extension are "LAN". You could receive and make calls to the outside world or internal calls (extension to extension) or conference calls or transfer a call.

I don't know what technology replaced those, probably a SIP/VOIP of some sort as you mentioned.

They were common in the 90's in offices, but at home i currently use a DECT wireless phone, which does mostly the same thing, but on small scale and for smaller places.

JP

On 9/11/2020 at 6:03 PM, Kilrah said:

Wow that looks old.

I'd think the best approach is to ignore whatever it can do and ask the client what he needs instead and look up what current systems can do what they need...

That might be a smart idea. He's an older gentleman so he's the type to not like change but that might be what it comes down to.

Thanks

6 hours ago, JP! said:

It looks like a PABX/PBX system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_telephone_system#Private_branch_exchange

If it is, It can be compared with a router, but for telephones. The "WAN" part being where the landline enters (maybe more than one) and each extension are "LAN". You could receive and make calls to the outside world or internal calls (extension to extension) or conference calls or transfer a call.

I don't know what technology replaced those, probably a SIP/VOIP of some sort as you mentioned.

They were common in the 90's in offices, but at home i currently use a DECT wireless phone, which does mostly the same thing, but on small scale and for smaller places.

JP

Interesting. Looks like I got some research to do XD. Thanks for the info :D