Looking for 2.1 system for small desk and deliverable music at a small price

Lachrymal
Go to solution Solved by NannerBeans,

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394213864&sr=8-1&keywords=dayton+speakers

These plus a lepai 2020+ amp for $20 would probably be pretty good. These are pretty popular on Amazon and I've seen them recommended a few times.

I have a rather small-ish desk (35 x 20) and a fair demand for quality sound. I trust your opinion here more than I do on the newegg or amazon website as to what is the best I can get for around $50. I'm used to listening to 135 watts of power with shelf speakers when cleaning house. Sometimes I have the freedom to listen to games without headphones as well. I know I won't get close to the nice system I was using but what is the best I can get for that price?

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

I think the Z523 will get you pretty close and they are pretty much all that is in that price range, but right now I saw it's like 70$ instead of 50. then the z313 or 323 would be the next step down, but why don't you put the speakers in your room, when you're cleaning you can't hear the things that well anyways so you might be better off by doing that

2 good stereo speakers beat 2.1, atleast for me.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You have two options.

Pick the prettiest one.

Up you or price or lower you standards.

I think the Z523 will get you pretty close and they are pretty much all that is in that price range, but right now I saw it's like 70$ instead of 50. then the z313 or 323 would be the next step down, but why don't you put the speakers in your room, when you're cleaning you can't hear the things that well anyways so you might be better off by doing that

When I said around 50, I meant $15 lower or higher in price. So I will consider that. Not liking the idea of moving speakers to another room because most of the time they will be used for gaming.

2 good stereo speakers beat 2.1, atleast for me.

Stereo speakers that fit on a small desk??

You have two options.

Pick the prettiest one.

Up you or price or lower you standards.

My standards aren't that high. I just barely have a clue as to what kind of names and reliability I am getting into with speaker audio and my preference was merely a rough sketch of what I'd like in that price range. If I'm not going to get impressive audio quality with the money I have then I will have to deal with it. I would appreciate a better answer than merely choosing by aesthetics, as you suggested. I've no money left to invest in better options unfortunately.

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

When I said around 50, I meant $15 lower or higher in price. So I will consider that. Not liking the idea of moving speakers to another room because most of the time they will be used for gaming.

Stereo speakers that fit on a small desk??

My standards aren't that high. I just barely have a clue as to what kind of names and reliability I am getting into with speaker audio and my preference was merely a rough sketch of what I'd like in that price range. If I'm not going to get impressive audio quality with the money I have then I will have to deal with it. I would appreciate a better answer than merely choosing by aesthetics, as you suggested. I've no money left to invest in better options unfortunately.

http://www.amazon.com/Microlab-B70-Two-Way-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00DS4LMKC/ref=sr_1_128?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1394207425&sr=1-128&keywords=computer+speakers

damn amazon.com sucks when it comes to speakers, really, really does.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microlabs-SOLO6c-System-Audio-Speaker/dp/B0047CTA1C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394207683&sr=8-2&keywords=microlab+solo if only you could get these.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

My desk is inadequate to the size of bookshelf speakers. I only have 7"  wide clearance on either side of my monitor, no room on my walls, and no room on the floor by my comp to place them there. I mean we have 3 desks lined up in a room and there's just no sharable space.  :unsure:

if you're paying 15$ I wouldn't expect too much and you might get some for free from a relative or friend if you ask

My desk is inadequate to the size of bookshelf speakers. I only have 7"  wide clearance on either side of my monitor, no room on my walls, and no room on the floor by my comp to place them there. I mean we have 3 desks lined up in a room and there's just no sharable space.  :unsure:

Get a soundbar  :lol:

Spoiler

if you're paying 15$ I wouldn't expect too much and you might get some for free from a relative or friend if you ask

No i mean around $50 give or take. At this rate it's more give than take. So between $50 - $80.

(Was on mobile == simple quick answers)

What I mean by pick the prettiest one is that everything is mostly the same. So pick the one that matches your system/set up or you like the best.

Edifer, Altec, and Logitech will all be samey.

No i mean around $50 give or take. At this rate it's more give than take. So between $50 - $80.

well logitech makes good speakers, but you can try going to bestbuy and looking there too

You seriously won't get much for that price. I honestly would get the Pioneer SE-A1000 if possible with that budget, at $60 it's a bargain.

THE signature

You seriously won't get much for that price. I honestly would get the Pioneer SE-A1000 if possible with that budget, at $60 it's a bargain.

Lol, thanks but I already got a bargain on seinheisers.  ;)

As comfy as they are, they do tend to get heavy and still have some clamp left. Plus, I am home alone for a number of hours. Would love to free my head of them and play games by speaker.

It's seems I may have made a splash in the audiophile pool and I am not getting much more than "spend more money" or "get shelf speakers". May I add, that we are currently using a Regent 5.1 system for our tv and it sounds just great for gaming. Only spent around $40 for it 10 years ago. 

Perhaps it because I said I will use it for music, is why you all are suggesting I pay more. Would your answers be any different if I said I wouldnt use them for music? I said I preferred not using the other compy to listen to better music. Not that I won't. Being a huge fan of music I fully understand youre concern for the best quality no matter what, but if I can just get a little bass and decent highs for gaming. Thats all I ask.

What is the best of the best 2.1 for under $80?

Edit:

Heck if I really wanted to, I can plug my headphones into my phone while I clean.....bahahahaha! I won't though.

By the way, if I were to find some shelf speakers to fit on my desk, do the magnets still affect screens like they used to? Because they will be flush up against my monitor most likely.

By the way, if I were to find some shelf speakers to fit on my desk, do the magnets still affect screens like they used to? Because they will be flush up against my monitor most likely.

No those are only for CRTs. They do not affect LCD screens.

No those are only for CRTs. They do not affect LCD screens.

Well heck where do I find a 2.1 system with shelf speakers with a width no bigger than 6.5 or so inches?

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394213864&sr=8-1&keywords=dayton+speakers

These plus a lepai 2020+ amp for $20 would probably be pretty good. These are pretty popular on Amazon and I've seen them recommended a few times.

Do I need anything else to power these?

Well heck where do I find a 2.1 system with shelf speakers with a width no bigger than 6.5 or so inches?

Those Daytons are 6.4 inches. But if you want smaller than that I think you will have to go AudioEngines or the CEntrance 2504 that are on Massdrop right now. Keep in mind that I have not listened to any of those yet. I joined the CEntrance drop but have not gotten them yet. 

Do I need anything else to power these?

Just speaker wire but if you want a sub, you will have to buy one later. That is just a 2.0 system. 

Those Daytons are 6.4 inches. But if you want smaller than that I think you will have to go AudioEngines or the CEntrance 2504 that are on Massdrop right now. Keep in mind that I have not listened to any of those yet. I joined the CEntrance drop but have not gotten them yet. 

Just speaker wire but if you want a sub, you will have to buy one later. That is just a 2.0 system. 

The Q&A say they need an amp....? No?

The Q&A say they need an amp....? No?

I mentioned the Lepai 2020+ amp in my earlier comment. I thought you meant anything other than the speakers and the amp. 

I mentioned the Lepai 2020+ amp in my earlier comment. I thought you meant anything other than the speakers and the amp. 

No you're right I am sorry. That is a very good find!......and a very tight fit. Evidently my choice in desks is a sub par. I forgive myself because I only had a measly laptop before all this. Unless I am getting the dimensions wrong and its actually 6.5 inches wide.

Purchased! I'm sorry for the inconceivably hard target. Everyone had made creative recommendations, I just have a cramped, limited setup. Sometime in the future I will get an ikea desk and will like to have a very nice, roomy place to game. Baby steps.

For now these will be hugging my monitor.  :)

Purchased! I'm sorry for the inconceivably hard target. Everyone had made creative recommendations, I just have a cramped, limited setup. Sometime in the future I will get an ikea desk and will like to have a very nice, roomy place to game. Baby steps.

For now these will be hugging my monitor. :)

Glad one of us managed to get to you, being on mobile makes it hard for me to get proper responses and help out.