BSOD: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

dwang040

OS - Window 10 Pro (x64) 

Version - 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Hardware Age - Roughly 4 years

CPU - i7 7700k (no OC)

Motherboard - Gigabyte z270x Gaming 7

GPU - EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid (no OC iirc)

Ram - 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengence (3200MHz OC xmp)

PSU - BitFenix Whisper M 550W

C : SSD - Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500GB

: SSD - ADATA SX8200 Pro 2TB (Games Drive)

Description:

All I know is that It's WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I've tried to use the event viewer however all I get is `Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.` I'll post the zip files from the Sysnative File Collection in a DropBox link below. All I can really say is that this only seems to happen when I'm playing games. It doesn't seem 100% consistent either. One day, I'll get the blue screen from Rainbow Six Siege, the next day, it'll be Borderlands 3, and as of today, the error was from Destiny 2. There have been days where I play games and no blue screen occurs. In terms of what I've done so far, I've re-seated my ram, I re-seated my CPU and re-applied thermal paste (temps are 75C max under load), re-seated both SSDs as well. I do want to note that I wonder if there's something wrong with one of the SSDs, as before, I was using a SK Hynix SL308 and a WD Blue. Never had any issues like this however, I recently bought the M.2 SSDs a month ago and the BSODs started occuring a week from today. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the drives? According to CrystalDiskInfo, both drives are "good" with a max temp of 45C, and running a quick check with the ADATA SSD Toolbox doesn't show any issues. In terms of drivers and motherboard BIOS, they should be up to date. I mean, gigabyte hasn't really updated their support page for this motherboard in a while but I would assume that the drivers they have there are at the very least stable. 

If you have any idea of the issue or know someplace that I can get some help that would be appreciated as I'm completely out of ideas. Thanks

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ksv927gg4wc7ei/SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip?dl=0

Have you tried the usual suspects? :)

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

10 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Have you tried the usual suspects? :)

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Yup, I ran both those commands as well as `chkdsk C : /f` and `chkdsk D : /f

All those tests returned no errors.

I tried to check for firmware updates and the Rocket 4.0 is up to date. I tried to update the firmware for the SX8200 Pro however it just takes me to their products website and there's nothing useful under downloads except for their ssd toolbox, their version of acronis, and the manual. Didn't find any firmware files.

9 minutes ago, dwang040 said:

Yup, I ran both those commands as well as `chkdsk C : /f` and `chkdsk D : /f

All those tests returned no errors.

I tried to check for firmware updates and the Rocket 4.0 is up to date. I tried to update the firmware for the SX8200 Pro however it just takes me to their products website and there's nothing useful under downloads except for their ssd toolbox, their version of acronis, and the manual. Didn't find any firmware files.

If I remember correctly their toolbox software has the ability to update the firmware on the nVME.

34 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

If I remember correctly their toolbox software has the ability to update the firmware on the nVME.

yes, however, like I mentioned, it just takes me to their product page, and when I click on the SX8200 Pro, I only get an option to download the toolbox, acronis software, or SSD manual. No firmware is available. 

2 hours ago, dwang040 said:

yes, however, like I mentioned, it just takes me to their product page, and when I click on the SX8200 Pro, I only get an option to download the toolbox, acronis software, or SSD manual. No firmware is available. 

Yeah, the toolbox can update the nVME.

3 hours ago, fuzz0r said:

Yeah, the toolbox can update the nVME.

would you know how to do it? I couldn't find much info for it. 

27 minutes ago, dwang040 said:

would you know how to do it? I couldn't find much info for it. 

Should be under utilities, in the program.

4 hours ago, fuzz0r said:

Should be under utilities, in the program.

right, but as I've mentioned, if I click on update firmware, it just takes to their product page. that's what I'm confused about cause it doesn't seem to update the firmware. 

53 minutes ago, dwang040 said:

right, but as I've mentioned, if I click on update firmware, it just takes to their product page. that's what I'm confused about cause it doesn't seem to update the firmware. 

Aha I see, now I understand.

That's strange, what firmware do you currently have on it?

Also are you totally against a format? Because that might be where you're headed. Just to make sure everything possible is tried.

PS: Am I reading your original post correctly? I can't seem to find where you posted about the GPU temps under load?

32 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Aha I see, now I understand.

That's strange, what firmware do you currently have on it?

Also are you totally against a format? Because that might be where you're headed. Just to make sure everything possible is tried.

PS: Am I reading your original post correctly? I can't seem to find where you posted about the GPU temps under load?

I believe my firmware is ADATA_SX8200PNP42B7T1KA? Well, that's the details I get from Hardware Ids. 

For a format, I'm guessing we're talking about the D drive (the ADATA)? But just to double check, Windows formats the C drive when installing windows and the D drive when I created the new partition for it? But either way, I'm okay with formatting the drives. 

As for GPU Temps, it runs at 65C under load. 

7 hours ago, dwang040 said:

I believe my firmware is ADATA_SX8200PNP42B7T1KA? Well, that's the details I get from Hardware Ids. 

For a format, I'm guessing we're talking about the D drive (the ADATA)? But just to double check, Windows formats the C drive when installing windows and the D drive when I created the new partition for it? But either way, I'm okay with formatting the drives. 

As for GPU Temps, it runs at 65C under load. 

I meant format your C drive, and install windows over. So that you're starting fresh.

Just make sure to back up everything important before you do.  :)

As far as I can tell I'm running the same firmware version as you.

GPU temps are definitely fine.

22 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

I meant format your C drive, and install windows over. So that you're starting fresh.

Just make sure to back up everything important before you do.  :)

As far as I can tell I'm running the same firmware version as you.

GPU temps are definitely fine.

Interestingly enough, I went to `check for updates` and there were a few drivers that were "out-dated." I had attempted to install them but it actually caused me to get stuck in a bsod crash boot loop (different blue screen error). The corsair mouse driver windows was trying to install wasn't cooperating leading to a bsod, and if I tried to use an recovery, windows would instantly try and install the new driver causing it to crash again... In the end, I had to re-install windows. I'm still trying to collect data, however, attempting to start up borderlands 3 did cause a blue screen. Unfortunately, I wasn't recording the screen with my phone so I have no idea what the actual error was, but I can only assume it was most likely the same error. I'll keep watching out for it.

1 minute ago, dwang040 said:

Interestingly enough, I went to `check for updates` and there were a few drivers that were "out-dated." I had attempted to install them but it actually caused me to get stuck in a bsod crash boot loop (different blue screen error). The corsair mouse driver windows was trying to install wasn't cooperating leading to a bsod, and if I tried to use an recovery, windows would instantly try and install the new driver causing it to crash again... In the end, I had to re-install windows. I'm still trying to collect data, however, attempting to start up borderlands 3 did cause a blue screen. Unfortunately, I wasn't recording the screen with my phone so I have no idea what the actual error was, but I can only assume it was most likely the same error. I'll keep watching out for it.

If you type sysdm.cpl in your windows start box (WIndows button + R) and go to advanced and then startup and recovery (I think my system's in another language.) you can set windows to NOT reboot when it bluescreens, so you can get a better look at the error.

10 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

If you type sysdm.cpl in your windows start box (WIndows button + R) and go to advanced and then startup and recovery (I think my system's in another language.) you can set windows to NOT reboot when it bluescreens, so you can get a better look at the error.

Ah yes, that's really helpful. Just crashed again with the same BSOD. Hmmm, now I'm not sure what it could be. 

1 hour ago, dwang040 said:

Ah yes, that's really helpful. Just crashed again with the same BSOD. Hmmm, now I'm not sure what it could be. 

According to windows, whea_uncorrectable_error could be a hardware problem.

So you'd need to diagnose every part in your system really, to find the culprit.

Just as a general troubleshooting starter point: Have you tried running a memory diagnostic? To make sure it isn't your RAM?

Do you have spare parts you could try and swap out?

6 hours ago, fuzz0r said:

According to windows, whea_uncorrectable_error could be a hardware problem.

So you'd need to diagnose every part in your system really, to find the culprit.

Just as a general troubleshooting starter point: Have you tried running a memory diagnostic? To make sure it isn't your RAM?

Do you have spare parts you could try and swap out?

when you say memory diagnostic, I ran the windows memory diagnostic check? I was going to run memtest86 however I could not get it working. Anyways, the windows memory diagnostic returned no error. in the meantime, I will also try and run a memory stress test. I'll also move a game to my primary ssd and play around and see if maybe it is a potential ssd error (again, only crashes during gaming and all my games are on the D drive, coding, browsing, prime 95 benchmarks, etc have never crashed). I don't have any spare parts other than a hard drive and b250 motherboard. I can also try using one stick of ram as well. Still not sure why I can't create dump files even though I've tried everything I could find online regarding this... 

6 minutes ago, dwang040 said:

when you say memory diagnostic, I ran the windows memory diagnostic check? I was going to run memtest86 however I could not get it working. Anyways, the windows memory diagnostic returned no error. in the meantime, I will also try and run a memory stress test. I'll also move a game to my primary ssd and play around and see if maybe it is a potential ssd error (again, only crashes during gaming and all my games are on the D drive, coding, browsing, prime 95benchmakrs,etc have never crashed). Still not sure why I can't create dump files even though I've tried everything I could find online regarding this... 

Try turn off XMP and see if the issue goes away. I had this in the past when I had unstable overclocks. XMP is overclock too btw. I also had problems with creating dump files when this happened possibly due to errors in the memory. Why couldn't you get memtest working? What happened when you tried? 

3 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Try turn off XMP and see if the issue goes away. I had this in the past when I had unstable overclocks. XMP is overclock too btw. I also had problems with creating dump files when this happened possibly due to errors in the memory. Why couldn't you get memtest working? What happened when you tried? 

That's true. This ram ran fine OCd at 3644MHz as well for quite some time but maybe something is failing. I think I downloaded the wrong files for memtest86 and that's why I couldn't get it to work. I just re-downloaded it and ran it. The ram was still running at 3200MHz when I ran the tests and memtest86 returned 0 warning/ errors. For now, I'm moving the games that have given me the most blue screens off to my C drive to test if it's potentially my D drive ssd that's busted. If I still blue screen, I'll remove the OC back to stock/ default speeds and see if that helps. 

16 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

hmm, now I'm even more not too sure xd. I moved two problematic games to my c drive, and it instantly crashed twice (I think it's safe assume my SSDs aren't bad?). then I proceeded to remove 1 stick of ram. both games ran fine with zero crashes. I then swapped the sticks expecting maybe this stick to cause a blue screen but it didn't. it ran fine as well. I then proceeded to put both sticks back into the motherboard and well, it ran fine all night. whea means there was a hardware failure, but is there any way to get more details from windows? not sure if their crash logs state something more specific, but I'm not sure if that can help since I can't generate crash logs to begin with. 

5 hours ago, dwang040 said:

hmm, now I'm even more not too sure xd. I moved two problematic games to my c drive, and it instantly crashed twice (I think it's safe assume my SSDs aren't bad?). then I proceeded to remove 1 stick of ram. both games ran fine with zero crashes. I then swapped the sticks expecting maybe this stick to cause a blue screen but it didn't. it ran fine as well. I then proceeded to put both sticks back into the motherboard and well, it ran fine all night. whea means there was a hardware failure, but is there any way to get more details from windows? not sure if their crash logs state something more specific, but I'm not sure if that can help since I can't generate crash logs to begin with. 

Sometimes it may help to reseat problematic things. Windows have it's event log (right click start menu button>>event log>>Windows logs then look at program or system and find the time of a crash). Well, maybe you just needed to reseat/retrain the memory if Intel CPU trains it at first boot like Ryzen do.