Samsung Odyssey G7 for creative

javamaster10000

Hello there,

I am looking for a new monitor. I have seen the review of the Odyssey g7, and it checks all the right boxes for me:

HDR
Adaptive sync

1440p

decent colors

curve

Now the problem I am having is, that some people suggest this monitor is pretty much unusable for any creative work, as its curve introduces distortion. I am by no means a professional, but I like to take good pictures, do some astrophotography, and edit the occasional video in resolve.

Should I keep away from the g7 as it's curve is so noticable?
Or is it fine for someone who just uses it for this purpose from time to time?

Are there any less curved options out there with the features I mentioned above?

Thanks for your answers!

I actually had a thread about my terrible G7 experience recently. TLDR: Don't bother. The curve is EXTREMELY distracting. The HDR implementation is terrible. Adaptive sync has bad issues.

The monitor i replaced the G7 with, the LG 27GN850 has superior image quality anyways, is the straight up better overall monitor and is cheaper.

Sadly, the G7 really turned out to be "too good to be true"...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

But this one isn't curved at all, which kinda isn't what I want. Any curved options out there?

21 minutes ago, javamaster10000 said:

But this one isn't curved at all, which kinda isn't what I want. Any curved options out there?

Why do you want a curve? Most people are deliberately trying to buy a flat monitor.

Corve only makes sense in 21:9 ultrawide screens imo. On 16:9 it's more distracting than anything else.

Remeber to quote me so i can see your replies.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

@Stahlmann98

will do

hmm, I am using the  Samsung LC27F396F right now. It is curved a bit, and as I would be using it in combinantion with the new monitor, i am afraid having only the secondary monitor curved would be irritating.

Also I like the curve, but I am not sure, if I would even notice the difference.

1 hour ago, javamaster10000 said:

as its curve introduces distortion. I am by no means a professional, but I like to take good pictures, do some astrophotography, and edit the occasional video in resolve.

Yes, it distort the images and videos. The target market are gamers who wants immersion not editors.

But since you're not doing professional work, or serious editing, it's maybe okay.

Also the downside is they take a larger space, doesn't look good if you mount it on a wall.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

30 minutes ago, javamaster10000 said:

@Stahlmann98

will do

hmm, I am using the  Samsung LC27F396F right now. It is curved a bit, and as I would be using it in combinantion with the new monitor, i am afraid having only the secondary monitor curved would be irritating.

Also I like the curve, but I am not sure, if I would even notice the difference.

Then look for a monitor with a similar more subtle 1800R curve. But by any means, the 1000R curve on the G7 is very distracting and your old monitor will look like a flat one in comparison.

This is a great option with a 1800R curve and it's also not that expensive: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6C6qqs/aoc-cq27g1-27000-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-cq27g1

And afaik there are no issues with adaptive sync etc. on this monitor. For this price you can actually buy almost 3 of these for the exact same look on your desk.

@Stahlmann98

really not sure, I was hoping to actually get some HDR, and decent colors.

What do you guys think about this: Aorus CV27Q?

looks to me like it ticks all the right boxes.

35 minutes ago, javamaster10000 said:

@Stahlmann98

really not sure, I was hoping to actually get some HDR, and decent colors.

What do you guys think about this: Aorus CV27Q?

looks to me like it ticks all the right boxes.

HDR is simply put not ready yet on monitors. The only monitors that properly support HDR and actually display an HDR picture are extremely expensive. We're talking ~2000$ or more. If you really want HDR, a TV is the way to go.

Pretty much all monitors up to these 2000$ HDR displays don't really have any HDR capabilities and only accept an HDR input so they can put HDR on the box. Often the HDR mode looks worse than SDR. I'd really not make HDR a consideration for a good montor. Maybe in a few years monitors will actually be able to support HDR content as well as TVs do.

All monitors i mentioned have great color performance. I don't see what the Aorus monitor gives you for the extra 100$ compared to the AOC. More expensive is not more better.

@Stahlmann98Well I think in this case actually the LG might be my best bet. You have good experiences with it, right?
it also is cheap enough to maybe squeze a RTX 3080 in, which would get my rig ready for 1440p 144hz for the next hours in fs2020.

Thanks for your help!

1 minute ago, javamaster10000 said:

@Stahlmann98Well I think in this case actually the LG might be my best bet. You have good experiences with it, right?
it also is cheap enough to maybe squeze a RTX 3080 in, which would get my rig ready for 1440p 144hz for the next hours in fs2020.

Thanks for your help!

Good decision.

2 of my friends have one and i also have 2 of them myself. The color performance is as good as it gets without buying professional monitors. 144Hz compared to the G7's 240Hz didn't make a difference to me, because the LG has wicked fast response times aswell. It's definetly the best overall monitor out there at the time while not completely breaking the bank. I bought 1 of them for 430€ and the other for 350€ on amazon.