Laptop - Broken keyboard controller

Avorik68

Hi,

keyboard on friends laptop stopped working, it doesn't give any sign of life, no backlight, can't enter bios and it is not showing in windows device manager.

My guess is that it is faulty keyboard controller. Is there any way to fix, is it worth repairing it?

He tried unplugging the cables multiple times.

2 minutes ago, Avorik68 said:

Is there any way to fix, is it worth repairing it?

Your buddy can probably buy a new keyboard on e.g. eBay or Amazon.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Your buddy can probably buy a new keyboard on e.g. eBay or Amazon.

You mean USB keyboard or he can replace actual laptop keyboard? Because if it's the controller i don't believe it will help him.

2 minutes ago, MrTuffguy said:

which laptop?

Asus Gl753vd

2 minutes ago, Avorik68 said:

You mean USB keyboard or he can replace actual laptop keyboard? Because if it's the controller i don't believe it will help him.

The actual keyboard. Also, there is no separate "keyboard controller" -- laptop-keyboards are just USB-devices nowadays and if there's something wrong and it's not working, then the problem is either in the laptop's USB-controller or the keyboard itself.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

11 minutes ago, Avorik68 said:

My guess is that it is faulty keyboard controller

my guess is loose/broken ribbon cable, have a look at it

but you can always use USB keyboard

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The actual keyboard. Also, there is no separate "keyboard controller" -- laptop-keyboards are just USB-devices nowadays and if there's something wrong and it's not working, then the problem is either in the laptop's USB-controller or the keyboard itself.

I am confused because there is one giant and one small connector coming from the keyboard but they don't look like usb (4 / 5 pin) connectors, could be extra power pins, but what for is the larger ~20+ pin connector then for?

Here is the image:

118999395_305696750731616_2934781493649997083_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_eui2=AeE7wwrakCP00LOKSDI6dgxZVGaTlYQsTENUZpOVhCxMQxc_U-hoKWNLvJXIjFVSVUF7bd2aeaT8vcJ2tQWlizjR&_nc_ohc=Pgo7lECygu4AX-KilAE&_nc_ht=scontent.fzag4-1.fna&oh=bef29e6cd5861f9dcc029399b67410f3&oe=5F7E0A00