will it work?

wizzio

I am thinking of upgrading my gpu from a 770 to a 3070 but it will bottleneck my i5 6600, so i was thinking of upgrading that to to a i7 7700k. will it work with my 550 80 gold plus seasonic focus gx, or will i need to upgrade that to.

Yes it should be fine, wattage wise, 550w should be enough for a 7700k and a 3070.

but you could wait and check for ampere to release and check the 3070's power consumption but for the most part it should be enough.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Yes it should be fine, wattage wise, 550w should be enough for a 7700k and a 3070.

but you could wait and check for ampere to release and check the 3070's power consumption but for the most part it should be enough.

thank you

It'll be okay. That said, what motherboard do you have? A 7700k is wasted on a non-Z motherboard because you can't overclock.

It also has horrible temps unless you delid and used prices are shit considering it's a 4-core 8-thread CPU that's almost 4 generations behind.

I would just wait for Ryzen 4000, should be definitive news by the time the 3070 is out.

14 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It'll be okay. That said, what motherboard do you have? A 7700k is wasted on a non-Z motherboard because you can't overclock.

It also has horrible temps unless you delid and used prices are shit considering it's a 4-core 8-thread CPU that's almost 4 generations behind.

I would just wait for Ryzen 4000, should be definitive news by the time the 3070 is out.

i have been thinking and i think i will just live with my curent computer for now then upgrade later because i am on a tight budget

I think you should wait and save enough money to build a new PC. Wattage-wise your PSU might be good enough but it is still 4+ years old, I assume. So not the most reliable thing in your PC.

Just wait a little bit longer to get new processors or go with a Ryzen 5 3500 with B550 MoBo temporarily. 

PC: Acer Predator Helios 300: corei7-7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR4 2400MHz, 128GB SSD+1024GB HDD, Logitech G102 Prodigy+Circle Gaming Pro.