A new laptop

So I was planning to buy a new gaming laptop, but as the rtx 3000 series dropped with low prices such at 3070, should I invest in a second hand 1000$~ Rtx 2-serious or GT 10 series laptop?

Or should I wait a little and manufacturers would pump out cheaper laptops with 3000 series with a better performance for gaming laptop?

Waiting would take at least 1 year to have it ready for mass consumption.

Laptop gpu probably going to make it to market at least 6 months after the desktop announcements.

Taking account for the limited early models and supply, you probably going to wait another year.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

24 minutes ago, steamengine said:

So I was planning to buy a new gaming laptop, but as the rtx 3000 series dropped with low prices such at 3070, should I invest in a second hand 1000$~ Rtx 2-serious or GT 10 series laptop?

Or should I wait a little and manufacturers would pump out cheaper laptops with 3000 series with a better performance for gaming laptop?

Standard take on this one is companies will always be producing better stuff.  If you wait there will always be something better just over the horizon and you wind up waiting forever.

There is a bit more of that than usual lately because of the changes wrought by the upcoming console release, which happens every 5 years or so.  So if there is a time to wait a few months this is as good a time to do it as happens with gaming. 

UPDATE: the point about laptop GPUs specifically makes sense though.  It’s going to be an even bigger delay for them.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 9/6/2020 at 6:11 PM, steamengine said:

You'll be waiting awhile especially with supply chains still a bit rocky with Covid. I'd say if you find a good deal with specs you need just pull the trigger, else you may be playing the waiting game indefinitely as there's usually always something new on the horizon. And the good deals you see today might evaporate and prices may not go down as far down as you may like them...or they will, it's always a gamble.