Upgrading CPU for RTX3070

TheWanderer

Currently having an 8600k with a gtx 1080 for 1080p 144hz gaming

I'd like to upgrade to a 3070 if the benchmarks are as nvidia promises. As i upgrade my gpu i'd also like to go for a new processor.

Basically i got 3 or 4 options in mind:

1: since i already got the right board i could go with the i7 9700k which is, where i live, around 320€.

2: for the same reason the i9 9900k for 440€

3: ryzen 7 3700x 280€ + b550 board i chose 180€ (has pcie gen4. any difference?)

(4: is to wait for ryzen 4th gen)

For cooling i have a 240mm rad aio from corsair

i know that waiting for next gen (especially with ryzen) is always the best option but if you were me what would you do?

Keep in mind that I am considering it now because if I choose to get the i7 9700k i have to purchase it now off of amazon because prices will go up since amazon is now selling their last stock

First check how the 3070 performs and how the 8600k holds up with a 3070 first, the 8600k especially with an overclock shouldn't struggle that badly in games with a 3070.

but again wait for the 3070 to launch and check.

as for an upgrade though, if you're set on one,  used 8700k should be a nice upgrade, or wait for zen 3 to come out and check what it has to offer. and again wait for ampere to actually launch and then decide if you want to upgrade, the 8600k is still not bad for gaming.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Like what @TofuHaroto said, if you want to first in line, grab new GPU and compare performances with benchmarks with reputable sources and if difference is less than 5% no need for upgrade cpu.

Magical Pineapples