Streaming

Weric

Heya folk. So, I've got a question. Clearly to get the best quality stream you wanna use the CPU to do the encoding. Its possible on one machine, with a 3900x, even a 10900k(poorer frame times for streaming though). However, if we make a second PC solely to do the CPU encoding, which a lot of streamers do, what would you say would be an acceptable chip? Say for instance, you have a 3700x, or a 9700k. You'd never really wanna do x264 encoding and gameplay with these chips to stream on a SINGLE machine, but do you think either one would be efficient enough JUST encoding and outputting to a capture card? I'm leaning towards yes? As I'm seeing it, x265 with either of those chips while playing a game on a single machine normally means 60-90% cpu usage and more depending on whats happening, which means dropped frames. If the cpu's in question aren't PLAYING a game and just encoding, they should suffice, yea?

Pretty much, I have a 9700k laying around with a motherboard collecting dust, and some parts in  the attic that I could turn into a dedicated stream encoding machine. Thoughts?

I mean, the current stream I have now isn't bad. I'm using my NVENC encoder, but you can still see where it sacrifices some image quality. Mind you I'm not some huge streamer, just an average joe, I only have 120 followers. But if I can make a second machine to do my encoding and get some better image quality and I don't have to spend any money, why the hell not right?

Go ahead my dude. You could also follow up about how much the stream quality has improved after you've done that.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

4 hours ago, Weric said:

Thoughts

I mean sure I guess, the 9700k should handle x264 just fine. 

Or if you've got a gpu with nvec Turing (1650 super or better)  you could just use that and it has little to no performance hit and looks similar to x264. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 hours ago, Weric said:

Pretty much, I have a 9700k laying around with a motherboard collecting dust, and some parts in  the attic that I could turn into a dedicated stream encoding machine. Thoughts?

It’s a fine CPU. Just keep in mind you will need a capture card and will need to set up your audio. 

4 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

I mean sure I guess, the 9700k should handle x264 just fine. 

Or if you've got a gpu with nvec Turing (1650 super or better)  you could just use that and it has little to no performance hit and looks similar to x264. 

Right, I'm using NVENC right now, perfectly fine, runs smooth. But you can see where the image quality lacks a bit compared to x264, its just not as good. Its an awesome option for single pc streaming, but if I can get that near-perfect image quality and not spend any money, why not yea? Just need to be sure the 9700k can handle the encoding.

Just now, Weric said:

Just need to be sure the 9700k can handle the encoding.

Yep, it can handle x264 perfectly fine. 

Though like what gloop said, you'll need a capture card. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Thanks for the opinions guys! I was really hoping they would have some updates or something to improve their nvenc  encoder with Ampere, but they don't. 

I’d do it. Way better than the cpu I use to stream. Stuck with using the gpu for now. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz