PSU buzzing (similar to a short circuit sound) under GPU load

hamski

Hello!

Recently I bought a new power supply, Cooler Master MWE750W 80+ Bronze, brand new. Installed it into my system, and all of a sudden, under graphical load, regardless of browsing, gaming, watching content, or simply moving my mouse around, I am getting this buzzing, or similar to a short circuit noise coming out of the PSU.

With my old one, I never had these issues or sounds. 

First thing I've done was RMA the PSU with my local retailer, got the same replacement one, but everything is still the same.

I can confirm that it is not coil whine, as it is not a high pitched sound, and it does not resemble anything similar to that. 

PC Specs:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M latest BIOS
CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4Ghz no OC
GPU: AMD Radeon RX580 Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600Mhz

Are you comparing it to coil whine of a GPU? PSU coil whine is a much lower pitch and based on your description sounds like what you're dealing with.

Have you got a recording of it? Sounds to me like it's actual coil whine. Most "coil whine" is actually "singing capacitors". Coil whine is what happens when wires on an inductor or transformer start buzzing because of the magnetic fields they make. A singing capacitor is a buzzing capacitor caused by capacitors with piezoelectric properties, and is usually much higher pitched.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Are you comparing it to coil whine of a GPU? PSU coil whine is a much lower pitch and based on your description sounds like what you're dealing with.

I referenced the noise of the PSU to every video I could find about coil whine, but it does not sound like that. 

On the other hand, if it is coil whine, would it have any kind of impact on performance or would it do any harm in the long run? 

7 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Have you got a recording of it? Sounds to me like it's actual coil whine. Most "coil whine" is actually "singing capacitors". Coil whine is what happens when wires on an inductor or transformer start buzzing because of the magnetic fields they make. A singing capacitor is a buzzing capacitor caused by capacitors with piezoelectric properties, and is usually much higher pitched.

Unfortunately no recording right now. The noise is much lower pitched and is always the same, regardless of load. 

25 minutes ago, hamski said:

I referenced the noise of the PSU to every video I could find about coil whine, but it does not sound like that. 

On the other hand, if it is coil whine, would it have any kind of impact on performance or would it do any harm in the long run? 

Coil while is just an audible nuisance. It has no impact on hardware longevity or stability. I have had coil while caused by UPS Square Wave that sounds very electronic. Comparative to a repeating electrical discharge. It's possible you might have dirty or unstable power coming from the wall and the PSU doesn't particularly like it.

16 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Coil while is just an audible nuisance. It has no impact on hardware longevity or stability. I have had coil while caused by UPS Square Wave that sounds very electronic. Comparative to a repeating electrical discharge. It's possible you might have dirty or unstable power coming from the wall and the PSU doesn't particularly like it.

The idea of having dirty power coming from the wall was actually something I was thinking about. In the apartment where I live, we still have those old Fuze boxes with them screw-in fuzes. Not the best option 

1 hour ago, hamski said:

Cooler Master MWE750W 80+ Bronze

Which MWE is this?

MPX-7501-AMAAB or MPE-7501-ACAAB (the V2)?

If it's the first one, return it.  It's double forward.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Which MWE is this?

MPX-7501-AMAAB or MPE-7501-ACAAB (the V2)?

If it's the first one, return it.  It's double forward.

It's the V2 version