Do I need to adjust DRAM voltage if I am Overclocking RAM?

Hey guys,

Do I need to increase the DRAM Voltage to Overclock my RAM?

I have overclocked my Ram from 2400MHz to 2666MHz, but did not tinker with the voltage settings, games running fine, ran a Prime95 test for 10 Minutes and looks stable.

(Current DRAM Voltage - 1.2V, set Automatically my motherboard h310m gigabyte)

Please give your suggestions :)

RamOC26.png.70bcefe3c579d35714e92d32aadbfe31.png

As far as I know, you don't. If it runs stable at that speed then you're good, its better to run things at the minimum stable voltage. More voltage means more power consumption and more heat. Only other thing I think you could adjust is the timings if you feel like researching how to do it properly.

1 minute ago, AdvilLobotomite said:

As far as I know, you don't. If it runs stable at that speed then you're good, its better to run things at the minimum stable voltage. More voltage means more power consumption and more heat. Only other thing I think you could adjust is the timings if you feel like researching how to do it properly.

Thanks for replying and helping :)

25 minutes ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

I have overclocked my Ram from 2400MHz to 2666MHz, but did not tinker with the voltage settings, games running fine, ran a Prime95 test for 10 Minutes and looks stable.

first things first, theres a good thread here: 

just to make sure, did you run large FFTs in p95? the default is blend which isnt as good for testing ram. recently the good folks over at mersenneforum implemented self verifying proofs in the PRP tests so i've been running those on my ram overclocks for a few weeks now. it'll tell ya if there are any errors during the duration of the test, if you can complete one or two assignments without errors its probably a pretty stable OC. plus you get to contribute verified work for gimps! :D

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

9 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

first things first, theres a good thread here: 

just to make sure, did you run large FFTs in p95? the default is blend which isnt as good for testing ram. recently the good folks over at mersenneforum implemented self verifying proofs in the PRP tests so i've been running those on my ram overclocks for a few weeks now. it'll tell ya if there are any errors during the duration of the test, if you can complete one or two assignments without errors its probably a pretty stable OC. plus you get to contribute verified work for gimps! :D

I ran this test for about 10 minutes. By the way which tool are you using to test your RAM properly?

RepPrime.png.a865257bb794663e422204eb7bd17571.png

9 hours ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

I ran this test for about 10 minutes. By the way which tool are you using to test your RAM properly?

i'm also using prime95, you just need to connect to primenet under the "test" tab and set the work type under the "worker windows" option in that tab to "first time PRP on mersenne cofactors." the number of threads to run should be less than the number of physical cores on your cpu as prime95 generally doesnt benefit from hyperthreading. i usually run all 6 of my cores on my r5 3600. when my system had a 9700k/9900k i ran 4 cores to save electricity and using more cores didnt help the tests run faster. usually around 4 to 6 cores will saturate your memory bandwidth, though it appears that ryzen cpus have more headroom. then you should be able to start the tests.

as long as youre connected to the internet it should automatically fetch new work units. depending on your system you may be able to leave it running 24/7 without noticing a performance impact; it's set by default to be a very low priority process and should let other programs such as games run first, while prime95 takes up leftover cpu resources. with all 6 cores running i can still run rise of the tomb raider at 1080p 100+fps without any frame lag. 

so yeah its a bit more investment than just running the torture test but its neat :D i forget what the default error checking interval is but every few minutes it'll output a gerbicz error check result as a sum of all errors detected during the test. so at the end of each work unit you can see the total errors. any that pop up can usually be solved by raising the voltage by .01 or .02 volts. i run memtest86 on a bootable usb before testing anything in prime95 cause i dont like crashing my system but thats a lot more time consuming.

hope some of that made sense to ya lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D