Boot Issues After Hardware Change

Hi there new to the forum, but decided I needed some help as I'm struggling with this.

I recently moved from an 8700K to a 3950X. This swap obviously meant I needed a new Motherboard so I'm using an ASUS ROG B550-E.

I decided it would be easier to wipe my NVME boot drive and do a fresh Windows install rather then attempt to move windows to the new system (I'd been meaning to do this anyway so it made sense).

After rebuilding the PC with only the NVME drive and a windows installation USB connected, I turned it on, entered the BIOS and made sure everything was detected. All the RAM was detected and the cpu was showing up correctly. I didn't touch any other settings as I wanted to get windows installed before messing with overclocks etc.

Turns out windows won't run at all. The moment it tries to run anything windows related it either freezes completely or enters a Boot loop and then crashes after about 3-5 cycles. Ive checked boot order, changed between UEFI/Legacy to try both. Tried with secure boot both on and off. I've tried booting from an old HDD with a working windows copy on it. I've moved RAM into different stots and tries each stick individually in each slot. Ive reseated the CPU, cleared CMOS.

I've not tried a different GPU as I've only got my water-cooled 2080 and my CPU has no on-board graphics so without the gpu ive no video out.

At this point I'm concerned its either a dead motherboard or dead CPU, but i was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion as to what might be the issue other than that.

Any insight would be appreciated.

It's unclear whether you succeeded in installing windows, and now have problems booting... or whether it's failing on installing, please clarify?

If the former, try re-installing. If the latter, try a different USB drive, try a different USB port.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Sorry for the confusion, I cannot install Windows, it freezes before it reaches the install menus. Ive tried a different USB port, will try a new USB

@paddy-stone I've tried a new USB and used a different port. Same result, it crashes as soon as i leave the BIOS menu but before Windows has a chance to reach the install screen.

I've also tried disconnecting all the drives and just using the USB, no luck there either.

Was wondering, could the fact that I've got an NVIDIA gpu with no drivers installed due to now windows install be an issue (such as the AMD board not having any usable driver for the NVIDIA card) and therefore can't boot properly

19 hours ago, Longsword67 said:

@paddy-stone I've tried a new USB and used a different port. Same result, it crashes as soon as i leave the BIOS menu but before Windows has a chance to reach the install screen.

I've also tried disconnecting all the drives and just using the USB, no luck there either.

Was wondering, could the fact that I've got an NVIDIA gpu with no drivers installed due to now windows install be an issue (such as the AMD board not having any usable driver for the NVIDIA card) and therefore can't boot properly

Did you make any changes in BIOS?  if so I would recommend setting defaults, and then ONLY change the boot options so you can boot from USB.

No, windows has a compatibility driver that will work with the nvidia GPU.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini