Is it dead?

CheeseeCupcake

So I've bought an used PC with R7 370 windforce with hopes I can clean it and flip a profit. The thing is when I fired it up to make sure everything is working the GPU wasn't disolaying anything, tried hdmi and dvi still nothing. The card was VERY dirty with dust and I've cleaned all of it. The fans twitch on a set interval and at the same time for about 5 degrees and go back to their original position. Everything else runs fine, I still havent tried mobo I/O since I haven't got a vga cable which I'm getting next to see if that works. Apart from the gpu everything else seems to be in order, no beeps from mobo, no other unusual sounds or activities.

P.S. I've attached a picture of how everything looked like before cleaning it, the PSU is 500w and the previous owner confirmed everything was working well until one day the GPU didn't display anything so I doubt it's insufficient power issue

IMG_20200820_211823.jpg

Edit/Update: put the GPU in my own rig and it worked, fans were spinning and image was being output, everything works fine, so I'm guessing it's either the PSU or the MoBo in the PC I bought that's faulty

Edited by CheeseeCupcake
Solution

4 minutes ago, CheeseeCupcake said:

The fans twitch on a set interval and at the same time for about 5 degrees and go back to their original position.

Remove the HDD and all expansion-cards and see if it runs properly then. A dead HDD, for example, could cause this -- been there myself.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

it's a bad BIOS

BIOSes don't just magically go POOF like that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

What ever you do don't show this to Kyle - He'll go berserk. 

Try putting the GPU into a known good system if possible - it's the only way to be sure

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

17 minutes ago, CheeseeCupcake said:

the PSU is 500w and the previous owner confirmed everything was working well until one day the GPU didn't display anything so I doubt it's insufficient power issue

*the PSU was not able to provide enough power/voltage.

I've seen it many times myself irl, especially in combination with sketchy PSUs.
RandomGamingHD in particular buys "broken" GPUs from eBay and fixes them by repasting them and using a proper PSU.

As @Kirky2k15 suggested, test the card in a new system. If it works, the problem is either the motherboard or the psu

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

Thank you for all the suggestions, currently at work but as soon as I get back I'll be putting it in my gaming rig to test it. Does anyone know if the GPU is dead/damaged can it do any damage to the motherboard except from damaging the PCIe port?

59 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

You can try repasting it, though if that's as much dust as there was in it it's probably a thermal issue. Either the GPU is dead from thermals or it's a bad BIOS, those are really the only two major things that I would think off of the top of my head.

I have repasted it and cleaned everything, what confuses me the most is that the GPU actually heats up, both the memory chips and the processor of the GPU itself, but the fans aren't working and nothing is displayed, that's why I turned to LTT forums

17 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Interesting. I'm not really into GPU level troubleshooting I'm more of a generalist  so your guess is as good as mine. Good luck!

I've actually updated the post, plugged the GPU in my own PC and it works with the fans and everything, now all that's left is to test the PSU and the MoBo and see which one of those is faulty although there is no way to know for sure for the PSU... It may be just degraded and doesn't supply it's 500w anymore