PSU Overheating?

medar

I have an AMD FX 6300, 8gb hyperX fury ram, and hdd 80gb sata II, no graphics card. I have some old power supply 450w when my pc is on and I touch the psu It is quite hot and Im scared of damaging my components.

7 minutes ago, highrusher said:

and I touch the psu It is quite hot

Human skin is not an accurate way to measure computer parts. A graphics card will run comfortably at 80 degrees, but if you touch one of the heat pipes while it's running you can burn yourself, even though it's not too hot to function.

If the fan is spinning, and the PSU is not choked by dust or blockage, it's most likely not overheating.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 hours ago, highrusher said:

when my pc is on and I touch the psu It is quite hot

really means nothing in all honesty.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Do you have anyway to measure the actual temp? You have plenty of overhead for your system so unless you have a tone of dust clogging the fan your probably ok.

32 minutes ago, CWALD said:

Do you have anyway to measure the actual temp? You have plenty of overhead for your system so unless you have a tone of dust clogging the fan your probably ok.

idk how to measure temp of psu lol

1 minute ago, highrusher said:

idk how to measure temp of psu lol

A thermometer sticker for fish tanks would be a cheap and easy solution. I don't think there is anyway to do it with software.

12 minutes ago, CWALD said:

A thermometer sticker for fish tanks would be a cheap and easy solution. I don't think there is anyway to do it with software.

i cant buy that here, im gonna explain to u how hot is it. when i hold my finger on it (the normal human temperature is 36) so everyone should feel the same heat so u do the math if u want, when j hold the finger on it its not like hot that I cant hold the finger on it but its hot and I think its on the edge of burning me, if u understand I dont have any other way to explain this xd

3 minutes ago, highrusher said:

i cant buy that here, im gonna explain to u how hot is it. when i hold my finger on it (the normal human temperature is 36) so everyone should feel the same heat so u do the math if u want, when j hold the finger on it its not like hot that I cant hold the finger on it but its hot and I think its on the edge of burning me, if u understand I dont have any other way to explain this xd

There are other devices you can use to measure the external temperature of something but if access is an issue then I don't know what you can get on the cheap.

Temperature is highly subjective. even though we all have a similar body temperature, its not exact and the body will acclimate to all kinds of conditions. If you stick your hand in a snow bank for 15min then put it under a cold tap, the water will feel like it is burning even though it is below room temperature. I live in WI and in the spring 65F/18C can feel incredibly hot and make you sweat, while in the fall the same temp will feel chilly and cause you to put on a sweater. This doesn't even include personal preference and is why everyone here said that putting your hand on it doesn't mean much.

Without more information I would guess that your PSU is fine and that the best course of action is just to make sure it is clean and has good air flow.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, highrusher said:

Unfortunately everyone has a different tolerance for heat.  (I can easily touch things that are 60C for longer than should be comfortable.)

Your first bet:  get some compressed air and blow out the PSU well.  If there's crap built up inside, that will insulate and result in it getting hotter.  (Really do a good job blowing it out, if you're comfortable, crack the case on the PSU and blow it out)

After that, if you're not getting better temps, you may want to consider a new PSU, if you're still not comfortable with the temps.

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

Unfortunately everyone has a different tolerance for heat.  (I can easily touch things that are 60C for longer than should be comfortable.)

Your first bet:  get some compressed air and blow out the PSU well.  If there's crap built up inside, that will insulate and result in it getting hotter.  (Really do a good job blowing it out, if you're comfortable, crack the case on the PSU and blow it out)

After that, if you're not getting better temps, you may want to consider a new PSU, if you're still not comfortable with the temps.

could I use a compressor to blow it out? I want to blow out my motherboard too

2 minutes ago, highrusher said:

could I use a compressor to blow it out? I want to blow out my motherboard too

Allow extra space between the compressor and the system, it can be a bit strong for it up close. Also is this the same system? because it looks clean but your psu will get 0 airflow with the fan against the floor.

19 minutes ago, CWALD said:

Allow extra space between the compressor and the system, it can be a bit strong for it up close. Also is this the same system? because it looks clean but your psu will get 0 airflow with the fan against the floor.

yes, thats it until I buy a case, how am i supposed to put the psu?

is this better?

15977698871632886859286624979559.jpg

Fans and vents for all components should all have access to open air. So just set it on its side or flip it over and don't leave the hard drive on top. you should notice improvement very quickly

2 minutes ago, highrusher said:

is this better?

15977698871632886859286624979559.jpg

Yes, would be better without the hard drive but this should be fine and you should notice the temp going down in a few minutes 

41 minutes ago, highrusher said:

is this better?

<snip>

There are exposed electronics on the bottom of your HDD.  Don't leave them sitting on metal.

If you have to fake it hardcore:

Get some Cardboard, and cut two strips about 1" Wide (2-3CM) and shape it into:   |____|

Put the screws through the sides of the cardboard and into the drive.  Use that to give it some elevation off the PSU or whatever you leave it on.  

I think we're being trolled.

LOL!

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

I think we're being trolled.

LOL!

JOHNNY!  I haven't seen you since our Systemlogic days!  

....  No, don't tell me how long ago that was, I don't wanna know.