Help! Fingerprint reader HOT and not working...draining battery!!

i_build_nanosuits

So...today my phone started acting up, and basically i'm 99% sure i have a hardware fault on this Umidigi A5 Pro fingerprint reader:

image.png.750e2be9f8282bb00e3f1a43ce12beb4.png

i bought the phone on amazon a couple months ago and it's been doing fine until today...basically what i want to know is:

How would i go about taking this phone appart and ''unplug'' the sensor entirely? Can someone who knows about this post maybe pics for what i'm looking at/for

once i open the phone?

Thanks!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

So...today my phone started acting up, and basically i'm 99% sure i have a hardware fault on this Umidigi A5 Pro fingerprint reader

What makes you think that? Your title says the reader is hot and is draining your battery, but is it truly the reader itself or something nearby that's overheating? Not doubting you, just curious as to what methods you used to determine that was indeed the problem.

1 minute ago, Stylized_Violence said:

What makes you think that? Your title says the reader is hot and is draining your battery, but is it truly the reader itself or something nearby that's overheating? Not doubting you, just curious as to what methods you used to determine that was indeed the problem.

no no i have absolutely no doubt the fingerprint thing is the one that gets really hot...the phone is idling normaly and nothing is running on it im sure...CPU temps are low and fine...but fingerprint reader on the back is stupid hot. And also the fingerprint scanner doesnt work at all and the settings for it in the android isnt there anymore...like i can't access any of the settings that were there before..it's all gone...

And there is a significant little scratch on the scanner as well.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That spot seems very close to where the processor and it's cooling solution are located.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

That spot seems very close to where the processor and it's cooling solution are located.

yes...but it gets finger burning hot on the sensor only seconds after i turn on the phone after i shut it off...and when i power if off it cools down almost immetiately.

AND it get hot ONLY and EXACTLY on the finger spot itself...everything around it is COOL.

convinced?

18 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

And also the fingerprint scanner doesnt work at all and the settings for it in the android isnt there anymore...like i can't access any of the settings that were there before..it's all gone...

And there is a significant little scratch on the scanner as well.

It could be a short in the scanner,that's an unacceptable fault.

Return the phone,buy something from a brand with good quality standards.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It could be a short in the scanner,that's an unacceptable fault.

Return the phone,buy something from a brand with good quality standards.

it is indeed...and phone has a scratch on the fingerprint sensor so the repair would be i would have to pay and wait forever.

Ill find a way to root the phone and disable the sensor in sofware...at least ill try!

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

it is indeed...and phone has a scratch on the fingerprint sensor so the repair would be i would have to pay and wait forever.

Ill find a way to root the phone and disable the sensor in sofware...at least ill try!

The problem is electrical,i doubt you can disconnect the the electrical connection of the sensor with software.

Also i recommended to return the phone,it has a fault and i don't trust that brand.

You will get your money back,then buy something from a good quality brand.

Just now, Vishera said:

The problem is electrical,i doubt you can disconnect the the electrical connection of the sensor with software.

Also i recommended to return the phone,it has a fault and i don't trust that brand.

You will get your money back,then buy something from a good quality brand.

i can't return it i've owned it for too long.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

i can't return it i've owned it for too long.

You can because warranty (return it to the manufacturer).

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

and phone has a scratch on the fingerprint sensor so the repair would be i would have to pay

Small scratches don't void warranty.