At wits end Not sure how to fix this

Crimson_Dawn

My father plays World of  warships Alot  about a week ago his game started freezing up until you unplug the keyboard and sometimes if you plug the keyboard back in it freezes again right away sometimes it works for a while. I've found Wargaming support to be totally ineffectual. they want to place it as a heat issue but unplugging as USB would not solve a heating issue.  this is my last resort

P.S. the operating systems windows 10 is completely  unaffected by the freeze and continues to work normally 

P.P.S We tried this with both his corsair k55  and my Razer black widow same result 

I would check for any driver updates or bios updates for the motherboard

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

2 minutes ago, thedangerine said:

I would check for any driver updates or bios updates for the motherboard

I've thought of this but this just started randomly out of the blue a week ago no hardware or software changes were made i have since completely reformed windows a fresh install of windows 10 and the problem continues 

Just now, Crimson_Dawn said:

I've thought of this but this just started randomly out of the blue a week ago no hardware or software changes were made i have since completely reformed windows a fresh install of windows 10 and the problem continues 

I would still check for driver or bios updates. It is the easiest thing to try and doesn't take much time, I have seen that fix so many weird issues that it is definitely worth a shot

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

1 minute ago, thedangerine said:

I would still check for driver or bios updates. It is the easiest thing to try and doesn't take much time, I have seen that fix so many weird issues that it is definitely worth a shot

i will see if dell has any Drivers or bios updates for  a computer this old  Thank you

12 minutes ago, Crimson_Dawn said:

i will see if dell has any Drivers or bios updates for  a computer this old  Thank you

Old huh?

Could be a USB port going bad as well, in other words, a hardware failure.

What are the specs of the system?

Is this a "gaming" keyboard with backlights and multiple USB plugs?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

34 minutes ago, Crimson_Dawn said:

My father plays World of  warships Alot  about a week ago his game started freezing up until you unplug the keyboard and sometimes if you plug the keyboard back in it freezes again right away sometimes it works for a while. I've found Wargaming support to be totally ineffectual. they want to place it as a heat issue but unplugging as USB would not solve a heating issue.  this is my last resort

P.S. the operating systems windows 10 is completely  unaffected by the freeze and continues to work normally 

P.P.S We tried this with both his corsair k55  and my Razer black widow same result 

Have you tried a different usb port hub? Does it happen with any other USB devices?

7 hours ago, dmankl said:

Have you tried a different usb port hub? Does it happen with any other USB devices?

i've tried all the USB ports on the whole system 

8 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Old huh?

Could be a USB port going bad as well, in other words, a hardware failure.

What are the specs of the system?

Is this a "gaming" keyboard with backlights and multiple USB plugs?

its an XPS 8000 from 2009 running with 12 gigs DDR 3 and intel core i5 750 and a newerish radeon card 

1 hour ago, Crimson_Dawn said:

i've tried all the USB ports on the whole system 

So its just gaming keyboard it sounds, have you tried normal keyboards?
also try booting to linux and see if it persists

11 minutes ago, dmankl said:

So its just gaming keyboard it sounds, have you tried normal keyboards?
also try booting to linux and see if it persists

well the problem is moote now. I was putting back in the GPU and now the Power LED is solid amber everything i can find says its a power supply issue. PSU is over 10 years old 

2 minutes ago, Crimson_Dawn said:

well the problem is moote now. I was putting back in the GPU and now the Power LED is solid amber everything i can find says its a power supply issue. PSU is over 10 years old 

Well hope it is fixed when you change out the PSU, thats an interesting symptom if it is fixed with a new one.

well i'm only hoping its the PSU i've only seen one or two old posts from dell saying that amber light means the PSU  5v rail is dead. the Case fans CPU fan and hard drives spin up the keyboard and mouse lite up but  the fan on the GPU doesn't power on and the power LED stays amber  so its a new problem that i hope will be fixed with a new power supply