PC freezing after a few minutes of use

InspectorRaptor
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

EDIT: I just found out that both my sticks are running at 800MHz, they should be running at 1600MHz. Should I "overclock" them?

They are DDR memory as in Double Data Rate. So if you see them running 800MHz in CPU-Z etc means that they run at correct speed.

As for your problem. I think you have bad HDD. Can you try with another one or RMA your current`?

Hi everyone!

A while ago my PC started to freeze when I was watching a video on youtube in fullscreen (using Opera), then I switched to Firefox and after I while the same problem ocurred as well (my drivers were updated). I couldn't open the Task Manager and only a hard reset would work. Yesterday the problem started to appear in any application randomly, so I reinstalled the OS (Windows Home Premium 64-bit) and the problem persisted. Today I wiped the HD clean yet again and reinstalled the OS and it didn't solve the problem either. Both times I ran Malwarebytes, Avast and Spyware Terminator as soon as they were installed. Avast didn't catch anything, but MalwareBytes and Spyware Terminator caught something both times. I haven't plugged my external HD back since the first reinstall of the OS.

Specs:

AMD FX-8150

ASUS M5A97PRO

2x4GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz

NVidia GTX 660ti

1TB of storage (I don't know the manufacturer, sorry)

Zalman 600Watt PSU

Everything in stock clock.

Recently I changed the stock CPU cooler and a case fan for a Noctua NH-U12S and a NF-F12PWM and I (the PC froze here so I had to retype everything) also updated the motherboard BIOS. 

Thanks!

Hey.

Sounds like you have some hardware issues. Check your drivers, if all of them are up to date. Next I would check the RAM. Best way to find out would be you put one stick out, let it run and then the other one. 

Did you check the temperatures of all components?

Hey.

Sounds like you have some hardware issues. Check your drivers, if all of them are up to date. Next I would check the RAM. Best way to find out would be you put one stick out, let it run and then the other one. 

Thanks for the quick response!

My drivers are outdated now because I used the motherboard CD to install them after I reinstalled the OS but they were up to date when the problem started. My temperatures are normal CPU: 13C ~ 26C. GPU: 34C ~ 35C idle. (HWiNFO64). I'll test the RAM to see if the problem persists!

Hey.

So I've tested both sticks and the problem persists but I only checked the RAM in the main slot of the motherboard. Could it be the slot?

EDIT: Same results with different slots and sticks.

EDIT: I just found out that both my sticks are running at 800MHz, they should be running at 1600MHz. Should I "overclock" them?

They are DDR memory as in Double Data Rate. So if you see them running 800MHz in CPU-Z etc means that they run at correct speed.

As for your problem. I think you have bad HDD. Can you try with another one or RMA your current`?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Oh, I see!

I'm trying with an older HDD that was lying around. I'll mark the topic "answered" if that was the problem.

Thanks a lot!