Is this a good basic raid card?

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
1 minute ago, pommedeterror007 said:

Sorry I meant 50 Mb/s and I dont quite see any ebay listings for under 30$ on this card but either way. Would you happen to have any recommendations for a RAID card / Software? Ive heard UNRAID is good but im not sure. Thanks again for the information.

Unraid uses software-RAID, so using a hardware-RAID-card would be a waste. You're far better off just using software-RAID: software-RAID is much more flexible, supports more features and is far easier to transfer between systems. You can still buy a hardware-RAID-card, but buy e.g. a LSI 9211-8i or similar and make sure it has been flashed in IT-mode: this way the card doesn't do any hardware-RAID and only acts as an expansion-card so you can connect more drives to your system.

So my situation is that I have a plex/server build that im looking into raid for. Currently I only have 2 storage drives but plan on upgrading that down the line. Ive been looking into some inexpensive raid cards that I could use for both SAS and SATA Drives and im not too familiar with them. I appreciate all feedback. 

Like I said im primarily using this server for PLEX, I have some large movies 50GB+ that I want to ensure dont get bottlenecked as they have a bitrate of 50MB/s on certain titles. Im currently using 2 HGST Sata III Drives (one 6TB and one 3TB). I plan on upgrading this for mostly redundancy but interested in the faster speeds too. 

https://www.newegg.com/lsi00212-sata-sas/p/N82E16816118132

Currently I have a local seller selling this card for 20$, including battery. Is this a good deal? and will it affect my system negatively in any way?

Heres a full list of specs:

CPU: e5-1620 v3 

RAM: 64GB Samsung ECC

Asus X99 WS - IPMI

600 Watt EVGA PSU

240GB Sandisk SSD (OS and Apps)

Do you relly need a rid carad? Softwre raid is better for most users these days.

2 minutes ago, pommedeterror007 said:

bitrate of 50MB/s

just saying, this is probably 50mb/s, or about 6mB/s, any drive config an handle this

That card is fine, but a bit older, but you probably want software raid, and also want the battery for it. Also you can get that card for like 1/3 of the priceon ebay.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you relly need a rid carad? Softwre raid is better for most users these days.

just saying, this is probably 50mb/s, or about 6mB/s, any drive config an handle this

That card is fine, but a bit older, but you probably want software raid, and also want the battery for it. Also you can get that card for like 1/3 of the priceon ebay.

Sorry I meant 50 Mb/s and I dont quite see any ebay listings for under 30$ on this card but either way. Would you happen to have any recommendations for a RAID card / Software? Ive heard UNRAID is good but im not sure. Thanks again for the information.

11 minutes ago, pommedeterror007 said:

that I could use for both SAS and SATA Drives

No, do not even think about SAS-drives. There is zero point in you using those. They are far more expensive than regular SATA HDDs, but aren't really much faster.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, pommedeterror007 said:

Id look into unraid, pretty good option for a home nas and easy to use and upgrade storage in 

Here is a dell h700, very similar card(i think the same chip), for much cheaper, but don't get it, get a hba https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-PERC-H700-512MB-RAID-CONTROLLER-for-POWEREDGE-R610-R710-R810-R910-US-Ship/192637276572?hash=item2cda13919c:g:VKwAAOSwDiBZNjW-

Just now, WereCatf said:

No, do not even think about SAS-drives. There is zero point in you using those. They are far more expensive than regular SATA HDDs, but aren't really much faster.

Used there often a good amount cheaper, but normally stay awawy form home use.

1 minute ago, pommedeterror007 said:

Unraid uses software-RAID, so using a hardware-RAID-card would be a waste. You're far better off just using software-RAID: software-RAID is much more flexible, supports more features and is far easier to transfer between systems. You can still buy a hardware-RAID-card, but buy e.g. a LSI 9211-8i or similar and make sure it has been flashed in IT-mode: this way the card doesn't do any hardware-RAID and only acts as an expansion-card so you can connect more drives to your system.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Its not 100% necessary to have SAS support I just know a few buds who have some extra SAS drives. 

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Ahh I see, So its just overall better to use Software raid and bypass using any controller cards etc.  At least in my case. Thanks again for your feedback. Im newer to server type stuff.