Intel i5-2500K at 5Ghz

Today I achieved something which I personally thought I'd never be able to manage.

12931869695_45d660700f_o.png

5Ghz on an i5-2500K is something I've always wanted to try but have always been too scared to punch the vcore too, it's currently at 1.4V and I dare not try running Prime95 for longer than 5 

minutes at a time but I'm just so proud aha! I know that's ridiculous, what have you guys managed on your little beauties? 

System Specs

i5-2500K @5Ghz

8GB(2x4) Patriot Viper Memory (1866Mhz)

Asrock Z77 E-ITX Mobo

Corsair TX650W PSU

Corsair Hydro H60V2 (With 1xBitfenix Spectre Pro)

In a little bitfenix prodigy with all this at the moment, and a lot of fans, it is very loud! 

My question is though, is overclocking too easy today? I mean to be quite frank I don't know very much in regards to what most of it means, other than increase the multiplier increase the vCore and viola, I know there are limits of course and it's damaging but is it too easy for ams to do, and potentially endanger their rig & hardware???

Today I achieved something which I personally thought I'd never be able to manage.

5Ghz on an i5-2500K is something I've always wanted to try but have always been too scared to punch the vcore too, it's currently at 1.4V and I dare not try running Prime95 for longer than 5 

minutes at a time but I'm just so proud aha! I know that's ridiculous, what have you guys managed on your little beauties? 

System Specs

i5-2500K @5Ghz

Asrock Z77 E-ITX Mobo

Corsair TX650W PSU

In a little bitfenix prodigy with all this at the moment, and a lot of fans, it is very loud! 

My question is though, is overclocking too easy today? I mean to be quite frank I don't know very much in regards to what most of it means, other than increase the multiplier increase the vCore and viola, I know there are limits of course and it's damaging but is it too easy for ams to do, and potentially endanger their rig & hardware???

That's extremely impressive :D i have my i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz with the stock cooler. However, shouldn't you run Prime95 for at least 24 hours to verify stability? Also do you watercool? I'm looking into an H100i for my next rig in order to get some pretty sick OC's

Technically you havent achieved anything lol you ran a stress for 5 minutes so it might not even be stable. I can push 5ghz probably but if it's not stable I wouldn't consider it an OC

4Ghz on stock cooler! Holy cow, I'd never risk it! And yeah technically, I mean I could perhaps but I just ran it for 20 minutes and hit 85 degrees, does not make me feel comfortable so I'm back down to 4.2, it's just nice to know how far they'll go!

I don't watercool as such, I have a corsair hydro h60 all in one, with a bitfenix spectre pro pwm on it, but that's it, thus my reluctance. But totally agree, H100i for my next build too, might wait until the new new Haswell comes out though, and the 

memory controller returns to the motherboard!

Technically you havent achieved anything lol you ran a stress for 5 minutes so it might not even be stable. I can push 5ghz probably but if it's not stable I wouldn't consider it an OC

Well said, it's more to do with the silicone lottery and I was proud that it was in the top 5% of cpu's (: either way though you're right, I just wouldn't feel comfortable running prime for 24 hours even at stock tbh aha!

well done :)

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

You should run prime 95 for a lot longer to make sure its stable, but other than that nice oc

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

4Ghz on stock cooler! Holy cow, I'd never risk it! And yeah technically, I mean I could perhaps but I just ran it for 20 minutes and hit 85 degrees, does not make me feel comfortable so I'm back down to 4.2, it's just nice to know how far they'll go!

I did 4.4GHz or 4.3GHz can't remember exactly with the stock cooler prime95 small fft's. And 85° doesnt hurt the cpu

I was running my i5 2500k before swapping it on 4.7-5k depending on the time of the year.. and now I have a haswell..... and it won't OC unless I throw retard voltage at it. Hurr. Thanks intel.

Case: Corsair 750D | CPU: Intel i7 4770k | Video Card: Gigabyte WF3 780 Ti 3GB | RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 | Hard Drives: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / 1TB WD Black / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / 2x2TB WD Green | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Corsair h100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 x2 | DAC: O2 Amp/Dac Combo w/ RCA from Mayflower Electronics | Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400 | Microphone/Input: AudioTechnica AT2035 w/ Scarlet 2i2 Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 w/ Custom Keycaps | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Monitor: QNiX QX2710LED 1440p PLS & WASABI-MANGO QH275 27" 1440p S-IPS

System Specs

i5-2500K @5Ghz

Asrock Z77 E-ITX Mobo

Corsair TX650W PSU

1.4v is quite a low voltage for a 2500k@5ghz, and it even more impressive that you've managed it on a e-itx board.  :) my 2550k@5ghz needs 1.38v to be stable and i can just about get 5.1ghz with 1.4v, but 1.415v is needed to be properly stable.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

That's extremely impressive :D i have my i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz with the stock cooler. However, shouldn't you run Prime95 for at least 24 hours to verify stability? Also do you watercool? I'm looking into an H100i for my next rig in order to get some pretty sick OC's

That thing must scream at you

System Specs

i5-2500K @5Ghz

Asrock Z77 E-ITX Mobo

Corsair TX650W PSU

Haha CONGRATS

I wouldn't run it like that for long though, you'll start damaging the CPU

And if you can't run it for more than 5 min thats no good.

Grats on getting it that high but I would probably tune it down to bout 4.7

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.