Help with Creating Pools

Go to solution Solved by Jisagi,

About the pool, it says you need a name, but it seems like you already have one (PXS Test Transfer), so that should be fine. Try to a) remove whitespaces from the name and b) selected the two drives on the right side again and see if the "Create" button is clickable then.

Hey all,

I completed my first PC build which happens to be a NAS! I'm running FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1 and I'm finding a couple of issues with it:

1. It's not detecting my 10GBe Asus XG-C100C PCIe card. Is this because of a missing driver or plugin? The device does not have an optical drive. Perhaps I should put the card in a PCIe x16 slot rather than an x4 slot?

2. I can't create any pools for some reason. I watched the FreeNAS tutorial about creating pools, ensured I was following the naming conventions correctly, and still no luck. Screenshot coped below:

image.thumb.png.2f75e6d0528a57e8ed27673f66cc160b.png

I don't have any ZFS volumes because well... These are blank drives! This is also my first time installing something other than Windows or Ubuntu on a machine, so any help would be appreciated!

System spec:

CPU | AMD Ryzen 3200G

MoBo | Gigabyte B450M DS3H

RAM | Crucial Ballistix 2x 4GB

Storage | Crucial BX500 (120GB) (OS drive)

WD Caviar (250GB)

WD Caviar (250GB)

Networking | Asus XG-C100C 

You will need drivers for this network card to run on a BSD system. Sad thing is, you will need to compile them yourself. The link to the official drivers are here and a mini guide is here. The attached file in the post is v0.0.4, but the latest is v0.0.5, so you should really do it yourself, rather than using his.

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 5950x | 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz | XFX Reference 6800 XT | MSI Unify X570 | Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | bequiet 850W Straight Power 11

Server: Ryzen 5 3600 | 4x32GB DDR4 ECC 2400MHz | Asrock Rack X470D4U | Samsung EVO Plus 250GB, 6x Seagate Exos 8TB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB | bequiet 550W Straight Power 11

About the pool, it says you need a name, but it seems like you already have one (PXS Test Transfer), so that should be fine. Try to a) remove whitespaces from the name and b) selected the two drives on the right side again and see if the "Create" button is clickable then.

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 5950x | 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz | XFX Reference 6800 XT | MSI Unify X570 | Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | bequiet 850W Straight Power 11

Server: Ryzen 5 3600 | 4x32GB DDR4 ECC 2400MHz | Asrock Rack X470D4U | Samsung EVO Plus 250GB, 6x Seagate Exos 8TB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB | bequiet 550W Straight Power 11

Are you kidding, that was such a tiny thing for me to miss! Thank you so much, that's worked!!! I guess whitespaces counted as characters which wouldn't be allowed?

On 8/11/2020 at 11:47 PM, Jisagi said:

You will need drivers for this network card to run on a BSD system. Sad thing is, you will need to compile them yourself. The link to the official drivers are here and a mini guide is here. The attached file in the post is v0.0.4, but the latest is v0.0.5, so you should really do it yourself, rather than using his.

Ok cool, so I've started having a little tinker with installing the v0.0.4 driver within the FreeNAS shell, and have started running into a small problem. Everything's good up until step 3.

Where do I extract the archive (from GitHub) to? For good measure I downloaded it in MacOS (where I'm running everything in FreeNAS in Chrome) and put it in my NAS via a NFS shared folder, but how do I check where that archive has gone when I'm working in the FreeNAS shell?. Step 5 is also problematic in that make gives the output:

make: no target to make.

make: stopped in /root

In a last ditch attempt, I tried Step 6 and it came out with no such file or directory which implies to me that everything in that guide is either being worked on in the root of my NAS's pool, or in the download folder within that (created by FreeNAS itself)

Should I be working in the shell directly in the NAS itself, rather than the web browser shell in the FreeNAS GUI? Side note, I've never coded anything before so this is entirely virgin territory

I told you to use v0.0.5 and not v0.0.4 didn't I?

You extract it anywhere, doesn't really matter, as long as you afterwards enter that directory, otehrwise "make" will not work.